Widgets Magazine

Thread: Old land fill?

Default Old land fill?

Didn't know where else to ask this, but does anyone remember that there was another land fill across [south of] I-240 from the "trash" mountain east of Crossroads Mall?

Hubby says I'm imagining it--which is possible! But I really thought that years ago--maybe back around '70 or so, that there was a 'land fill' on the south side of 74th St. It is now, and has been for years, an empty "pasture" area.

Anyone? We don't have a bet riding on it, but we'd like to know whose memory is still working.

Default Re: Old land fill?

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    Didn't know where else to ask this, but does anyone remember that there was another land fill across [south of] I-240 from the "trash" mountain east of Crossroads Mall?

Hubby says I'm imagining it--which is possible! But I really thought that years ago--maybe back around '70 or so, that there was a 'land fill' on the south side of 74th St. It is now, and has been for years, an empty "pasture" area.

Anyone? We don't have a bet riding on it, but we'd like to know whose memory is still working.
    There was definetly a land fill on the southside of 74th. I took some junk out there in about 1970-71.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    There was definetly a land fill on the southside of 74th. I took some junk out there in about 1970-71.
    ================================================== =========
    If my memory serves me correctly there was a COUNTY land fill in that vicinity (between eastern and Bryant). It was there a very short time as that particular parcel of land belonged to the State Education program. The field is stillunder lease to an old man who runs cattle on it. However, in 1999 the School (state) board of education allowed the Remains of The F-5 Tornado that crossed through Moore until they could get the other land fill prepared to accept that enormous amount of debris. Once they began filling it, EVERY piece of that mess was moved over to the other side of the highway. EPA was EVERYWHERE.... Also, if yu go on further to the East on sooner run (South side) there was 320 acres formerly owned by some former TG&Y executives that both Cleveland and Oklahoma County tried to buy, annex..commandeer....whatever....for a land fill....didn't work....

Thank you! I KNEW there had been a land fill there, and now that you mention it, "county" sounds right. It obviously didn't get piled up as high trash mountain.

Just told hubby, and he still doesn't believe it!

Prunepicker Guest

And let's not forget the fat guy in the overalls that had a horrendous hernia.
    I think he was one of the managers.

Do you remember the smell of old tires and rubbish burning? I do. I really
    liked going there. It was several times bigger than the one on S. Portland.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    Just told hubby, and he still doesn't believe it!
    Old Okie and hubby don't compute. You'll have to come to the next
    southside meeting at Coit's and explain. It's on the 24th of April unless it's
    been changed. 1pm. Of course it's the Coit's on S. Western!

Oh! Gen64 always buys 5 hotdogs, 5 Root beers and your choice of a HUGE
    order of fries or onion rings for each newbie. Really! He does!

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Old Okie and hubby don't compute. You'll have to come to the next
    southside meeting at Coit's and explain. It's on the 24th of April unless it's
    been changed. 1pm. Of course it's the Coit's on S. Western!

Oh! Gen64 always buys 5 hotdogs, 5 Root beers and your choice of a HUGE
    order of fries or onion rings for each newbie. Really! He does!
    "Old Okie" is a little old lady, who grew up far from the big city, but has lived here since '69! Hubby is a "real" southsider, born, raised, & schooled on the southside. We now live in far SW OKC.

We know exactly where the Coit's is located! Thank you kindly for the invite!

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    And let's not forget the fat guy in the overalls that had a horrendous hernia.
    I think he was one of the managers.

Do you remember the smell of old tires and rubbish burning? I do. I really
    liked going there. It was several times bigger than the one on S. Portland.
    Never saw the manager; just drove by and smelled the rubbish burning!

Once heard someone say that was why there wouldn't (couldn't???) be anything built on that site because it had been a landfill, but I think there are plenty of places where "reclaimed" land has been used. More likely if it is school land, then that would be the reason.

On the note of using 'reclaimed' land, one of the most notable places I know of is at the corner of 2nd & Bryant in Edmond; there was a very old illegal 'dump' there on the SE corner, now under all the businesses and parking lot!

If my memory is correct, the land south of the current landfill on the southside of 74th is where the rubble from the Federal building was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    If my memory is correct, the land south of the current landfill on the southside of 74th is where the rubble from the Federal building was taken.
    No, that was taken to a spot East of Frontier City and Guarded very well for quite some time. The refuse from the May 3rd, 1999 tornado was taken there and sorted. Silver Star Construction had that job....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    No, that was taken to a spot East of Frontier City and Guarded very well for quite some time. The refuse from the May 3rd, 1999 tornado was taken there and sorted. Silver Star Construction had that job....
    Your right. I had my disasters mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Your right. I had my disasters mixed up.
    the reason I knew was my Father-in-law's neighbor was killed in the bombing and he convinced one of the guards to let him have a chunk of the Marble from outside and he made the guy's widow a placque of some sort....Don't know how he got the guards to let him have some of that Marble.

Thread Information