Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Note

Default Re: Blue Note

It's open now. New bar and tables has given it a neighborhood pub feel. Stage is still there and will be used. $3 domestics, nice selection of imports and craft beers up to $7 and a very well stocked liquor bar. Wine too.

Sounds nice. Any type of food menu? Being part of the deep fork group now.

Four or five snaks. Some kind of sliders and Pita pizza are the heartiest of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I loved the Blue Note because it reminded me of a cool, punk rocky place to have a brew much like used to exist in the East Village in NYC before it turned into an upscale boutique. I enjoy a good smoky bar (though I don't smoke) with classic punk rock tunes on the jukebox. Not everything needs to have a yuppie sheen.
    I went to the new Blue Note the other night and was extremely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place, but unsurprisingly the Deep Fork Group did nothing to retain the spirit of the place at all.

I couldn't believe I was in the Blue Note when I walked in. Mostly older, professional, conservative types in there eating food. I don't have anything against these types of people or these kinds of pubs. What the Blue Note has turned into is a kind of place that's a dime a dozen here in OKC. The Blue Note, whether you like the kind of crowd that used to frequent the place or not, (chances are you don't, the bar wasn't exactly for everyone), was a truly unique place for OKC.

The middle class crowd consisting of bikers, the punk rockers like soonerguru mentioned, arty types, the old drunkards that would slip into the bar and get thrown out, and just the general eccentric crowd that would never dream of ordering a "fancy drink" will never be found there again. And keep in mind this is something that had been going on for decades. I remember one night having a conversation with a guy that used to go to the Blue Note back in the 60's. He then told stories about his interesting life like men-only bars Mexico that served drinks made of a hallucinogenic cactus.

The one thing that they held over (reluctantly), was the famous beer and shot for $5 deal. Since they are still going to have live music and since I live so close, I'm sure I'll be back. It's just going to take a while to get past what the bar has become and how fun it used to be. I, like a lot of others, had made a lot of friends in there that I wish I could see again. The night I went in there, I couldn't find a single regular from the old Blue Note.

It's sad to see a place like that go. The new place is still very above average for a drinking establishment in OKC, and it looks really nice inside, but it's not the Blue Note. I really wished they had changed the name.

6. Default Re: Blue Note

He was an ACM@UCO alum and - based on social media - obviously really well thought of by the ACM faculty plus extended Flaming Lips family.

Insane freak accident, he played guitar in one of my best friend's band

He was also a big time mainstay in the OKC stand up comedy scene.

Here is a link to a gofundme page helping to pay for funeral expenses if you wish to help out
    https://www.gofundme.com/memorial-fu...lliam-ogletree

Iconic Blue Note Lounge being full renovated

One of Oklahoma City's oldest live music venues and bars has a new owner and is in the process of receiving a complete facelift.

The Blue Note Lounge is temporarily closed to facilitate a comprehensive remodel. The historic venue was recently purchased by Chris Simon, the proprietor of the HiLo Club on Classen Circle.

Simon told OKCTalk his plan is to bring long-overdue improvements that will position the Blue Note for success for the next 50 years while also retaining the ample history and charm.

The Blue Note opened in 1961, its landmark blue neon sign beckoning travelers along Route 66. It hosted the first performance by OKC's legendary Flaming Lips, and the Lips returned to perform there in April as part of the Jimmy Kimmel Live show.

Located at 2401 N. Robinson in Uptown just off NW 23rd, the updates will involve renovating the neon sign and exterior, adding new booths, slightly expanding the stage, adding a green room for performers, refinishing the bar, installing a new cooler and bar equipment, completely redoing the restrooms and greatly enhancing the back patio.

The two-level patio to the east will include a permanent cover on the top section, with umbrellas and shade sails in the lower area. It will also get two new restrooms of its own, outdoor TVs, and a projector system where movies will be screened. Heaters, fire pits, and misters will be installed to make the space usable year-round. Food options are also planned.

The live music tradition will continue with a comprehensive new sound and lighting system. Simon plans to book local and touring artists across a diverse spectrum of music types. Jazz, comedy, and burlesque will also be featured.

The grand reopening is planned for March of 2022.

Blog Entries

Surprised with such a renovation that they're not going smoke-free.

They may go smoke free for certain shows at the artist’s discretion, I believe that’s what the Deli does down in Norman.

Blog Entries

I get that, and that's not nothing, but once you're "cleaned up" due to a renovation, seems silly to "re-contaminate" (sorry, terrible terms/phrasing).

Yeah I generally agree, even Bluebonnet down in Norman is non-smoking now.

I'm pretty sure Blue Note has been non-smoking, at least inside (patio is still smoking), for at least the last year or so. If I remember correctly, they implemented the policy after the COVID reopening.

Just confirmed with the new owner the Blue Note will be non-smoking.

Blog Entries

fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just confirmed with the new owner the Blue Note will be non-smoking.
    Yay! Good to hear. Hilarious that I was against this for some reason in 2010.

Here is a render of their back patio:

Default Re: Blue Door

They posted a few pics on IG, looks like it is going to be really nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdZTNbIr..._web_copy_link

Re-opening on June 2nd and they've already got a really nice concert lineup, with (IMO) a little more variety than they usually had under previous ownership. Very excited about this. https://www.instagram.com/p/CeE-QegLfVN/

Free Press OKC article:

OKLAHOMA CITY (Free Press) – After more than half a year of major renovations, COVID slowdowns, and last-minute delays, OKC’s historic Blue Note Lounge is ready to reopen this week, beginning on Thursday, June 2nd, with an absolutely stacked month-long lineup combining lauded locals with visitors and national tours covering a range of styles and sounds.
    https://freepressokc.com/blue-note-a...opening-month/

They were supposed to open today, but they had to push everything back due to some last-minute construction issues.

They are now aiming for next weekend.

Blog Entries

Dang, they had to re-book their shows that were for tonight to other venues.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeT38wLLwiU/

We have worked with the gracious people @89thstreetokc to get the @onholiday405 show relocated! We also got The So Longs & @helenkelterskelter moved over to @the_speak Thanks to their generous management! Please go support these awesome local businesses and wonderful musicians!

They had hoped to reopen this Friday 6/10, but they just told me it will be at least another week.

Not their fault... City planning department somehow overlooked a requirement by the fire marshall.

Blog Entries

Although I will say, I think the FD is getting a tad overzealous. Things we haven't needed in the past are being asked for on our latest permits. For example, my drawing was rejected because it didn't indicate where the nearest fire hydrant was, and they're making us put external sprinklers on the brewery patio (which is costing us $4,000). What other patios in this town have fire suppression? What fires are starting by people drinking beer? The patio is concrete, the building is concrete block, come on!

Thread Information