Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Note

Default Re: Blue Note

Blue Note doesn't strike me as a Deep Fork Group kinda thing.

Flaming lips played their first show there.

The sign is back up!

What are other famous bands that have played there?

I have heard Red Hot Chili Peppers played there, don't know if that is a fact though.

Wow, that was quick.

I doubt the Chili Peppers played there. The Lips played there long before they ever "made it." Wayne's dad owned the business next door to the Blue Note back in the 80s and that was just the first guy that agreed to let them play. lol

And the rest is history.

Actually Spartan I'm pretty sure they did, back before they "made it" either.

The red hot chili peppers played at VZD's way back in the day. That's probably what you're thinkng of.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    What are other famous bands that have played there?

I have heard Red Hot Chili Peppers played there, don't know if that is a fact though.
    No. They played at VZD's in 1987. I was scheduled to go but we had an ice storm, and driving up from Norman seemed risky. I think the 50-plus people who braved the weather probably had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    No. They played at VZD's in 1987. I was scheduled to go but we had an ice storm, and driving up from Norman seemed risky. I think the 50-plus people who braved the weather probably had a great time.
    Wish I coulda been there.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Weird, because the last time they were here, about 4 years ago, they had to cancel their show at the Ford Center because of a big snow/ice storm. It sucked because Gnarls Barkley was supposed to open the first go around and then on the make up date we got Mickey Avalon instead. That kinda sucked. But as for RHCP, they sounded great live.

Irony is: So much for being the "Red Hot" Chili Peppers when it comes to playing in OKC..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Irony is: So much for being the "Red Hot" Chili Peppers when it comes to playing in OKC..lol
    Why ya say that?

Saw the renovations in progress yesterday. Place was gutted, re-plumbed, rewired, re-furbished. Nice custom built red oak bar and furniture. Tripled HVAC capacity. Stage remains with brand new sound systems and some accoustic improvements to the room. Installed a small kitchen for "bar food". Will still allow smoking inside and on the new back patio. Estimate of renovation costs is well north of $100K. Guesstimate of opening was two weeks out. Given maintenance of the proper crowd for the neighborhood, this should be really good for the customers. We'll see how it goes for the staff. Gotta be an improvement over the recent past though.

Saw the inside on Monday. Every major system professionally renovated or replaced. Nice custom built red oak bars, fixtures, and furniture. HVAC capacity tripled and "smoke-eaters" added. Stage remains with brand new sound system and accoustic improvements to the room. New deck out back on the agenda. Added small kitchen with window at left of stage to serve "bar food". Guesstimate from on-site staff is two weeks to re-opening. Now if the new management can balance things correctly for the neighborhood, it will be a vast improvement over the last chapter of the Note.

Is the rest of the building going to be renovated as well? That would be another nice area for retail and/or restaurant.

17. Default Re: Blue Note

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I doubt the Chili Peppers played there. The Lips played there long before they ever "made it." Wayne's dad owned the business next door to the Blue Note back in the 80s and that was just the first guy that agreed to let them play. lol

And the rest is history.
    Wayne's older brother was the lead singer at the time, too.

Betts,

I don't believe so. The tattoo shop adjacent is actually in quite nice shape on the interior and the next north facility is a cabinet shop that does not utilize a "Storefront", so i don't think there is a landlord perceived demand yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Given maintenance of the proper crowd for the neighborhood.

What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by neverontime View Post
    What does this mean?
    Paying attention to the demographics of the neighborhood that patronized the place regularly until the downturn in January, which in my mind is not 23rd and Robinson, but a two mile radius to include Paseo, Edgemere, Jeff Park, Mesta, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Paying attention to the demographics of the neighborhood that patronized the place regularly until the downturn in January, which in my mind is not 23rd and Robinson, but a two mile radius to include Paseo, Edgemere, Jeff Park, Mesta, etc.
    You are absolutely right!

22. Default Re: Blue Note

the girl that is partnering up with the deep fork folks has been deeply entrenched in the dallas scene and is originally from oklahoma city. she has a keen sense of where to take this historic bar and who it will appeal to. a lot of money will be pumped into it... but it will be a nice alternative to bricktown or western. i will be working closely with them once everything gets up and running.
    i'm excited about this venture.

23. Default Re: Blue Note

Quote Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    Flaming lips played their first show there.
    the flaming lips first tour manager, darryl bascome, is in town. he came out to ROBOTIC wednesday night and said he is gonna do his videology thing at electro lounge on saturday night alongside of dj katie wicks.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers played the club on 10th and McArthur that has been Quicksilvers, the Roxy, and now a new version of Fritzi's at least twice. Did Marty Dillon who owns Party Galaxy ever own the Blue Note? The Dillon family owns some of the other properties in the area including the Tower Theater.

Bigray in Ok

25. Default Re: Blue Note

One more addition to the rapidly reviving 23rd corridor. It's great that OCU students finally have something nearby.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information