Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 23 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Restaurant memories .

Does anyone remember Tonys via Roma ? it was located on N.W. Expressway & in the 80's this was the best Italian food in the city it was run by an Italian family, very nice people .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

The last time I ate there was in 1969 and I still remember the olive salad. (very good)

Here's a question for ya'll. Does anyone remember the spagetti restaurant that Foreman Scotty would advertise for on the show? Sometimes, he would make special appearances at the restaurant to sign autographs and yank the eyelashes out of little kids eyelids. I never got to see him there but I once ate dinner with him so I was happy anyway.

I keep getting the name Nicolosis's. Spelling is probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammondjam View Post
    Here's a question for ya'll. Does anyone remember the spagetti restaurant that Foreman Scotty would advertise for on the show? Sometimes, he would make special appearances at the restaurant to sign autographs and yank the eyelashes out of little kids eyelids. I never got to see him there but I once ate dinner with him so I was happy anyway.

I keep getting the name Nicolosis's. Spelling is probably wrong.
    I don't recall the Foreman Scotty connection but Nicolosi's was down on NW 10th street somewhere, I want to say, west of Meridian and was great. That's where I had my first pizza and saw my first restaurant mouse. (LOL)

Thanks Mug. I think I might know the building. I used to go past it and think it looked familiar. I think it's a kitchen for senior citizens now but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    The last time I ate there was in 1969 and I still remember the olive salad. (very good)
    I loved that place. Also loved the salad and I am not even a big olive fan.

Thanks Mug. I think I might know the building. I used to go past it and think it looked familiar. I think it's a kitchen for senior citizens now but I'm not sure.
    About the 5000 block of NW 10, south side of the street. It became a Jimmy's Round Up for a while after it was Nicolosi's.

Nicolosi's was a block west of Ann Arbor on the south side of NW 10th, across from Parr Automotive. The building is still there, there are empty lots on both sides from what I remember. JR's Chicken Ranch was on the SE corner of NW 10th & Purdue, there is an empty lot between them.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Nicolosi's was a block west of Ann Arbor on the south side of NW 10th, across from Parr Automotive. The building is still there, there are empty lots on both sides from what I remember. JR's Chicken Ranch was on the SE corner of NW 10th & Purdue, there is an empty lot between them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you'll go back to about page ten of the OKC memories...There is a complete story from everyone about all those places....Nicolosis made the best lasagna in OKC....They knew just how long to leave it to make the cheese on the outside "Crunchy"

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    If you'll go back to about page ten of the OKC memories...There is a complete story from everyone about all those places....Nicolosis made the best lasagna in OKC....They knew just how long to leave it to make the cheese on the outside "Crunchy"
    I was under the impression that the building burned some while back.

Quote Originally Posted by lt14life View Post
    Does anyone remember Tonys via Roma ? it was located on N.W. Expressway & in the 80's this was the best Italian food in the city it was run by an Italian family, very nice people .
    Tony's via Roma had the best Italian sausage there was.

Tony's on Penn had the best linguine with clam sauce. And juke box!!

If you have not been, the Bella Vista, 5801 S. Western has tremendous Italian food.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Tony's via Roma had the best Italian sausage there was.

Tony's on Penn had the best linguine with clam sauce. And juke box!!

If you have not been, the Bella Vista, 5801 S. Western has tremendous Italian food.
    ================================================== =========
    I too give my electoral vote to Bella Vista....It's a little hard to find but, it's a Gem....Right next to Capitol Hill Florist....

I too give my electoral vote to Bella Vista....It's a little hard to find but, it's a Gem....Right next to Capitol Hill Florist....
    Ever notice how the really really good food places are the family owned and operated ones? Bella Vista, Tony's on N. Penn, Ned's, Nicolosi's, Leo's (while he was still alive), Jamil's,...........And so what if they are/were a little hard to find, the food was and is worth the search and their location is part of the allure.And one was /is made to feel welcome, not that hurry up, we need the table for the next group feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Ever notice how the really really good food places are the family owned and operated ones? Bella Vista, Tony's on N. Penn, Ned's, Nicolosi's, Leo's (while he was still alive), Jamil's,...........And so what if they are/were a little hard to find, the food was and is worth the search and their location is part of the allure.And one was /is made to feel welcome, not that hurry up, we need the table for the next group feeling.
    Agreed. Now go try Roma on Division Street in Guthrie. Awesome Italian food, made by real Italians. Just go. Go! Whattayadoin? Get up and go!

Anyone ever eat at the Italian restaurant (pronounced) Gee-O-sep-ees) in Marlow, Ok. The building is a 110 yr old bank bldg, GREAT food...

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Anyone ever eat at the Italian restaurant (pronounced) Gee-O-sep-ees) in Marlow, Ok. The building is a 110 yr old bank bldg, GREAT food...
    We're afraid to go down there.....If your buying we'll try....

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Is it anywhere the Marlow Townhouse Roller Rink? That place always comes to mind when I see or hear Marlow. KOMA commercial about sock-hops.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Agreed. Now go try Roma on Division Street in Guthrie. Awesome Italian food, made by real Italians. Just go. Go! Whattayadoin? Get up and go!
    Bella Vista is owned and operated by Greeks! Great Italian food.....

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Is it anywhere the Marlow Townhouse Roller Rink? That place always comes to mind when I see or hear Marlow. KOMA commercial about sock-hops.
    No, right in the middle of town!!

There used to be a restaurant(like Dodson's) in the Capitol Hill area but I cannot remember the name. It was in a small, enclosed mall and right across the hall from a shoe store. I believe the building was on the south side of 25th and the restaurant was on the west side of the (s)mall.

It's eating my brain trying to remember. Please help, Mr. Wizard.

There used to be a restaurant(like Dodson's) in the Capitol Hill area but I cannot remember the name. It was in a small, enclosed mall and right across the hall from a shoe store. I believe the building was on the south side of 25th and the restaurant was on the west side of the (s)mall.

Was it right next to the Knob Hill Theatre?

It was Cattleman's Cafeteria.

That's right!! As a kid, I used to wonder how and why it was so different than the OTHER place called Cattleman's. They had really great fried chicken and the pies were out of this world. My first pair of Justin ropers(that I saved up and paid for myself) came from the Florsheim shoe store across the hall.

Thanks PapaOU!

That's right!! As a kid, I used to wonder how and why it was so different than the OTHER place called Cattleman's. They had really great fried chicken and the pies were out of this world. My first pair of Justin ropers(that I saved up and paid for myself) came from the Florsheim shoe store across the hall.

Thanks PapaOU!
    That Mall was OKC's first attempt for an indoor shopping mall. The Carfeteria was quite a hit when TG&Y would have their monthly divisional meetings there.
    The people that owned it just didn't have the finances to keep the mall up and as it deteriorated they eventually tore it down. Just like on the North side of 25th st....Anyone remember all of those old buildings???

That Mall was OKC's first attempt for an indoor shopping mall. The Carfeteria was quite a hit when TG&Y would have their monthly divisional meetings there.
    The people that owned it just didn't have the finances to keep the mall up and as it deteriorated they eventually tore it down. Just like on the North side of 25th st....Anyone remember all of those old buildings???
    Not sure what you mean by "north side of 25th." There was one between 25th and 26th on the east side of Harvey. It was kind of strange since the east entrance/exit was into an alley.
    The only business that I remember i.d. was a "coffee shop" owned and ran by a guy whose name was Doyle. At least that was what I think his name to be. Part of it or maybe all is a Latino sports bar. It seems to be doing quite well. During soccer play offs and championship games the place is packed...

Thread Information