Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Well..I don't know the exact address but, the 950 lounge was across the street.
    Wasn't that McHenry's? He owned McHenry's restaurant and the 950 lounge. Remember one time he got drunk and ran over to the restaurant from the 950 in the nude!! Quite amusing... Mr. McHenry was quite a character to say the least!! It did turn into a Chinese Restaurant in later years..

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Bowling isn't completely dead...they have that place called the Red Pin in Bricktown but never been there.

Also, I went to library, the bowling alley I was thinking of downtown was Jenks at 413 1/2 NW 3rd (Dean McGee) so I was a bit off on the area.

I was at OU from 68-74, loved bowling at the Sooner Lanes on Campus Corner. The lanes were so warped it really didn't matter how well you could bowl, the ball wasn't going to go straight anyway.

On the North side we had the terrific Highlander for a while, that was a palace. Since this is a restaurant thread, there was an Across the Street just west of the Highlander. The original Across the Street was, of course, on Campus Corner, and, in grad school I worked at the Crossroads in the OU Student Union, a copycat of Across the Street.

There was another restaurant with phones, Red Lion or something like that, at NW 23rd & Western and in a mall, was it Crossroads? The place at NW 23rd & Western was a Carnation Ice Cream Land in my earliest memory, when they were building the golden dome Bank.
    I think that was "The Lion's Share" and they did have one in Crossroads Mall!

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Wasn't that McHenry's? He owned McHenry's restaurant and the 950 lounge. Remember one time he got drunk and ran over to the restaurant from the 950 in the nude!! Quite amusing... Mr. McHenry was quite a character to say the least!! It did turn into a Chinese Restaurant in later years..
    It probably was. I been gone a long time. I remember when I was in Jr. High my Mom and Dad would take us there on Fri. or Sat. nights and I was of the age that I didn't want to be seen in public with them. (dumb kid stuff, wish they were still here)

It probably was. I been gone a long time. I remember when I was in Jr. High my Mom and Dad would take us there on Fri. or Sat. nights and I was of the age that I didn't want to be seen in public with them. (dumb kid stuff, wish they were still here)
    Do you have intentions of moving back?

Do you have intentions of moving back?
    Yeah, and I'am thinking about living downtown. It will be another couple of years tho.

================================================== =========
    Isn't that the restaurant west of Western on 59th st. North side of the street??? Didn't they have some sort of specialty like plate Lunch specials or something? Didn't go there but a few times in my life....Liked Jack's steak house on Penn...( I don't think that's the real name)...Huh????

Prunepicker Guest

Would you eat kind of light?
    I eat light. 2 double chili cheese burgers and fries is about all I can manage
    nowadaze. I'll bring the Rolaids.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Isn't that the restaurant west of Western on 59th st. North side of the street??? Didn't they have some sort of specialty like plate Lunch specials or something? Didn't go there but a few times in my life....Liked Jack's steak house on Penn...( I don't think that's the real name)...Huh????
    I think it was Jacks 64 I had a class at grant with his son and his name was Jack also the last name I can't recall but i seen the Jack i went to school with working there. Everytime I think of that little business strip you can't leave out Gerald's .

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    I think it was Jacks 64 I had a class at grant with his son and his name was Jack also the last name I can't recall but i seen the Jack i went to school with working there. Everytime I think of that little business strip you can't leave out Gerald's .
    Right but, there was a "Game room" in the back of that steak house....only if you were invited.....Gone now however.....

Right but, there was a "Game room" in the back of that steak house....only if you were invited.....Gone now however.....
    Hmmmmmmmmm......How did you know about that ?

Hmmmmmmmmm......How did you know about that ?
    It was my understanding that Jack (the Dad) had to do a little stretch in the "Big House" because of that room in the back!! I remember when he got out!

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I eat light. 2 double chili cheese burgers and fries is about all I can manage
    nowadaze. I'll bring the Rolaids.
    That WOULD BE light for Gen/64!! LOL

Cornelius (Sp?). His daughter, Deanna, was in my brother's class ('62).

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Cornelius (Sp?). His daughter, Deanna, was in my brother's class ('62).
    Thanx 60 I was racking my brain, I was going straight home and get out the year book. LOL

Thanx 60 I was racking my brain, I was going straight home and get out the year book. LOL
    I was with some of the regular (nightly) customers once and was invited back there...Too rich for my blood.....

I was with some of the regular (nightly) customers once and was invited back there...Too rich for my blood.....
    Sounds like the back room at Truelove's Pool Hall

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    And the carpet store on S.E. 44th west of Shields......

I am kinda dumb about "stuff" that went on in the 50's but, knew alot of "stuff" that went on in the 60's and 70's. I useta eat at "Jack's" for breakfast in the 80's. ( I remember that they didn't have "Tobasco sauce" -only" "Lousiana hot sauce". I told my Dad that it just wasn't "right".) (nothing against any brand of "hot sauce" because I use different hot sauces for different foods). Anybody remember the Devils Den about next door?

I am kinda dumb about "stuff" that went on in the 50's but, knew alot of "stuff" that went on in the 60's and 70's. I useta eat at "Jack's" for breakfast in the 80's. ( I remember that they didn't have "Tobasco sauce" -only" "Lousiana hot sauce". I told my Dad that it just wasn't "right".) (nothing against any brand of "hot sauce" because I use different hot sauces for different foods). Anybody remember the Devils Den about next door?
    If your talkin' about the beer joint, I do!! They changed their name regularly and I tried to attend on a regular basis!!

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Chester would never do anything underhanded. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    Well..... I do remember party lines....and no direct dialing, had to call the operator to connect you to the number you wanted (BR-549) ....

~~~
    Does anyone remember the beep lines in Stillwater? (Sorry to get off subject.)

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

What was the name of the restaurant just south of Northwest Expressway
    and east of N. Portland? Candlewood's? They served family style.

I'm not talking about Christopher's. It was down by Will Rogers Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    Does anyone remember the beep lines in Stillwater? (Sorry to get off subject.)
    I spent....beep....many a night....beep....talking on the....beep....beep-beep line in the early....beep....70s.

Met some nice people on it.

It was sort of a cross between a party line and a CB radio.

Chester would never do anything underhanded. LOL
    I just can't believe Truelove's is closed. That's an OKC institution. It also had many customers that were sent to Oklahoma Institutions....

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I just can't believe Truelove's is closed. That's an OKC institution. It also had many customers that were sent to Oklahoma Institutions....
    There used to be a guy named Herman the German that went in there all the time Gambled on anything, I remember watching him play pool for 100.00 a game. I thought it must have been counterfiet (spell) money. (lots of money in the 60's

Thread Information