Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Penn 44 on west Penn had Pin boys way back when!! Had a friend that worked there!! Actually it was Gen/64's across the street neighbor (Jimmy)!! Do you remember that 64????

Man I sat in Wilkerson's and watched Penn-44 being built and I am SURE I was one of its first customers and I'd bet my first born that it NEVER had pin-boys. It was MODERN from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Man I sat in Wilkerson's and watched Penn-44 being built and I am SURE I was one of its first customers and I'd bet my first born that it NEVER had pin-boys. It was MODERN from day one.
    Do you remember what year that was '60?

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Penn 44 on west Penn had Pin boys way back when!! Had a friend that worked there!! Actually it was Gen/64's across the street neighbor (Jimmy)!! Do you remember that 64????
    ================================================== =========
    Sheesh, I had forgotten all about that....He really thought he was cool working there.....Acted as if he were the Bowling Pro though.....

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    You're right 60 but, they always had kids working in the back so nothing got "Hung Up" and were still Pin setters....aka "Pin boys".....He was also an alley sweeper, trash taker-outter and an all around "Jerk".....But he made a pretty good all around guy when he finally grew up....and wasn't "Hitting" me every chance he got.....

I worked at Penn 44 lanes in about 1968.

Don't know your son's name, but tell him I hope he has a nice journey!!! LOL

[QUOTE=Generals64;320842]================================================== =========

.....He was also an alley sweeper, trash taker-outter and an all around "Jerk".....

So you two were/are related??

Yes, I started bowling there occasionally as soon as it was built and it was always fully automated. They weren't building any bowling alleys anywhere by then that used pin boys. I always thought that was a very dangerous job. They had to sit above the back of the lanes and I'm sure it wasn't unusual for them to get hit by something at times.

Fifty eight or nine......maybe sixty, but I don't really think so.

(Gulp) CK, she's a girl. But I don't think I lost the bet since it was a matter of definition.

I worked at Penn 44 lanes in about 1968.
    What I was referring to were these guys that kept the dropped pins set back up. The first automated machines were notorious for having pins fall over! I didn't mean the guys sitting up above spotting every pin. So, I guess I'm 51% right and you can be 49. Ha!Ha! LOL One thing though, I don't think at mine and my wife's ages (with our children grown and gone) that you shoud be trying to send more of them to us!! LMAO
    As a wise man once said (me) "if you don't laugh at yourself. everyone else will" brilliant huh!! I do remember my first league I bowled in there and I'm sure it was 58 or 59!! Don't know when it opened.... THIS WAS INTENDED FOR 60' Sorry about that 70..

What I was referring to were these guys that kept the dropped pins set back up. The first automated machines were notorious for having pins fall over! I didn't mean the guys sitting up above spotting every pin. So, I guess I'm 51% right and you can be 49. Ha!Ha! LOL One thing though, I don't think at mine and my wife's ages (with our children grown and gone) that you shoud be trying to send more of them to us!! LMAO
    As a wise man once said (me) "if you don't laugh at yourself. everyone else will" brilliant huh!! I do remember my first league I bowled in there and I'm sure it was 58 or 59!! Don't know when it opened.... THIS WAS INTENDED FOR 60' Sorry about that 70..
    I'll accept that spread of correctness. I actually spent far more time playing the pinball machines than bowling at Penn-44. Yep!

I'll accept that spread of correctness. I actually spent far more time playing the pinball machines than bowling at Penn-44. Yep!
    Bowling alleys did have the best selection of pinball machines, didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Bowling alleys did have the best selection of pinball machines, didn't they?
    That's about the only place I ever played them. I never was any good on those money takers. I always thought bowling alleys had good grills to eat at, maybe just the atmosphere. I heard Penn 44 Grilll is open certain days of the week!!

That's about the only place I ever played them. I never was any good on those money takers. I always thought bowling alleys had good grills to eat at, maybe just the atmosphere. I heard Penn 44 Grilll is open certain days of the week!!
    Why don't you find out and buy my lunch?????

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Why don't you find out and buy my lunch?????
    Would you eat kind of light?

he'll eat any kind of light no matter the color or wattage. Even tin cans, newspaper.....

Anybody remember O'Henry's on S.W. 59th?

[QUOTE=papaOU;320876]
    Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post

.....He was also an alley sweeper, trash taker-outter and an all around "Jerk".....

So you two were/are related??
    Hey BUBBA:....that's like watching you wear Orange and Black or even better Burnt Orange and White..."Hook 'em Horns".....OMG McCoy got clobbered in the draft Huh?????

================================================== ========
    Sure Bud!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody remember O'Henry's on S.W. 59th?
    I remember O'Henry's but can't remember location. (thats a good one)

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    I remember O'Henry's but can't remember location. (thats a good one)
    Well..I don't know the exact address but, the 950 lounge was across the street.

Well..I don't know the exact address but, the 950 lounge was across the street.
    Yea didn't that turn into a chineese restraunt after O'Henry's

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    Yea didn't that turn into a chineese restraunt after O'Henry's
    Not sure Sam, I haven't been in the city but a couple a times since 86.

Bowling isn't completely dead...they have that place called the Red Pin in Bricktown but never been there.

Also, I went to library, the bowling alley I was thinking of downtown was Jenks at 413 1/2 NW 3rd (Dean McGee) so I was a bit off on the area.

I was at OU from 68-74, loved bowling at the Sooner Lanes on Campus Corner. The lanes were so warped it really didn't matter how well you could bowl, the ball wasn't going to go straight anyway.

On the North side we had the terrific Highlander for a while, that was a palace. Since this is a restaurant thread, there was an Across the Street just west of the Highlander. The original Across the Street was, of course, on Campus Corner, and, in grad school I worked at the Crossroads in the OU Student Union, a copycat of Across the Street.

There was another restaurant with phones, Red Lion or something like that, at NW 23rd & Western and in a mall, was it Crossroads? The place at NW 23rd & Western was a Carnation Ice Cream Land in my earliest memory, when they were building the golden dome Bank.

Thread Information