Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Trust me. A friend of mine named Carl lived in a rental almost across the street. He had a very small 1 bd house with a screened back porch where he dried his weed.

Yep, the Black Brick was n of 23rd, east of OCU. You can get old phone books, even reverse address phone books at the downtown library on the second floor. I looked for the Black Brick about a year ago in a 1967 SWBell phone book and found nothing, but I didnt have time to be thorough. I checked some reverse phone books for 1961 last weekend and found the following in an hour of looking - remember even numbers are on east and north sides: W Britton Rd - Britton Cafe 815, A&A Cafe 816, Fitzgeralds Place 817, Britton Drug (great fountain)900, Browne Dept Store 908, Ritz Theater 912, Britton Bakery 911, TG&Y 916, Water Tower Grovery 1129, Potter's Mr Burger 1200 (the first Johnnie's was once here a bit later), 1801 Sam Botkin Carriage House Rest, The Villager 2132, Veazey Drug 2624, Puddin Lanes Bowling 2625, Puddin Lane Records 2648, Puddin Lane Grocery 2652 Britton & May Twilight Gardens

N Penn 9209 Jackson Dennis Donut (Casady Square) 9228 Turner's Tastee Freez, 9231 Humpty Dumpty

N May - Buster Brown Shoes 3200, Denver Oil 3301 (In 1955 Cashions Bowlarena at 3401 and at 5801 Maurice Woods Wedgewood Park) 1961 continued Shep Ricrdsn
    Rambler 3316, Robt Hall 3415, 36th & May Safeway, Carousel Drive-In 3600, Wheeler & Stuckey 3601, Tony's Pizza 3621, Morris Chev 3724, Hikry Pit BBQ 3816, Dub Rich. 3815, Cooper Menswear 3832, Gene's Texaco 4001, Dunns DQ 4024, Red Top Motel 4111, McFarlands BBQ 4122, MAYFAIR? Goodyear 4805, BC Clark 4809, Woolworth 4825, Otasco 4900, Al's ThrifTWise 4901, JC Penney 4916, Parks 4924, Streets 4928, 50th& May Veazey's, Humpty Dumpty 5008, TG&Y 5020 Hart's Cafteria 5052,Pink Kitchen 5900, Shoppers World 5901, El Sol 6014, Lady Classen cafeteria 6903, Veazey's 6907, McDonald's 6910, ....LAKESIDE SHOPS 7423 TG&Y, 7427 Lakeside Post Office, 7509 Billye & Harolds Florst, 7518 Lakeside Theater, 7519 Lakeside Bakery,
    7527 Mrs Coffee Dan's Restaurant, 7700 Carnation Ice Creamland (I remember another at NW 23 & Western, nw corner), 7727 Dobbs Toddle House, 7800 A&W Root Beer, 7917 The Brass Key (Fantastic curly-q fries) 8016 Pizza Planet, 9300 McMahan's Dairy Boy, 9405 Sonic THE HANGAR BLDG at 9625 Radiant Beauty, Bill's TV, Northridge Barber, US Borax, 7-11 #16 (Tiny worked there) Caballero Cleaners

And, just for fun 1955 Progress Beer Brewery 501 N Douglas Ave, now home to the Okla League for the Blind.

I could spend hours looking through those old phone and reverse address books, again Downtown Library. Someone needs to look for Black Brick around, when 1965?, between 24th & 26, Blackwelder, McKinley or Military. I remember it as a garage on W side facing street with a Black Brick stuck on the garage door, entrance was on S side of garage.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Yep, the Black Brick was n of 23rd, east of OCU. You can get old phone books, even reverse address phone books at the downtown library on the second floor. I looked for the Black Brick about a year ago in a 1967 SWBell phone book and found nothing, but I didnt have time to be thorough. I checked some reverse phone books for 1961 last weekend and found the following in an hour of looking - remember even numbers are on east and north sides: W Britton Rd - Britton Cafe 815, A&A Cafe 816, Fitzgeralds Place 817, Britton Drug (great fountain)900, Browne Dept Store 908, Ritz Theater 912, Britton Bakery 911, TG&Y 916, Water Tower Grovery 1129, Potter's Mr Burger 1200 (the first Johnnie's was once here a bit later), 1801 Sam Botkin Carriage House Rest, The Villager 2132, Veazey Drug 2624, Puddin Lanes Bowling 2625, Puddin Lane Records 2648, Puddin Lane Grocery 2652 Britton & May Twilight Gardens

N Penn 9209 Jackson Dennis Donut (Casady Square) 9228 Turner's Tastee Freez, 9231 Humpty Dumpty

N May - Buster Brown Shoes 3200, Denver Oil 3301 (In 1955 Cashions Bowlarena at 3401 and at 5801 Maurice Woods Wedgewood Park) 1961 continued Shep Ricrdsn
    Rambler 3316, Robt Hall 3415, 36th & May Safeway, Carousel Drive-In 3600, Wheeler & Stuckey 3601, Tony's Pizza 3621, Morris Chev 3724, Hikry Pit BBQ 3816, Dub Rich. 3815, Cooper Menswear 3832, Gene's Texaco 4001, Dunns DQ 4024, Red Top Motel 4111, McFarlands BBQ 4122, MAYFAIR? Goodyear 4805, BC Clark 4809, Woolworth 4825, Otasco 4900, Al's ThrifTWise 4901, JC Penney 4916, Parks 4924, Streets 4928, 50th& May Veazey's, Humpty Dumpty 5008, TG&Y 5020 Hart's Cafteria 5052,Pink Kitchen 5900, Shoppers World 5901, El Sol 6014, Lady Classen cafeteria 6903, Veazey's 6907, McDonald's 6910, ....LAKESIDE SHOPS 7423 TG&Y, 7427 Lakeside Post Office, 7509 Billye & Harolds Florst, 7518 Lakeside Theater, 7519 Lakeside Bakery,
    7527 Mrs Coffee Dan's Restaurant, 7700 Carnation Ice Creamland (I remember another at NW 23 & Western, nw corner), 7727 Dobbs Toddle House, 7800 A&W Root Beer, 7917 The Brass Key (Fantastic curly-q fries) 8016 Pizza Planet, 9300 McMahan's Dairy Boy, 9405 Sonic THE HANGAR BLDG at 9625 Radiant Beauty, Bill's TV, Northridge Barber, US Borax, 7-11 #16 (Tiny worked there) Caballero Cleaners

And, just for fun 1955 Progress Beer Brewery 501 N Douglas Ave, now home to the Okla League for the Blind.

I could spend hours looking through those old phone and reverse address books, again Downtown Library. Someone needs to look for Black Brick around, when 1965?, between 24th & 26, Blackwelder, McKinley or Military. I remember it as a garage on W side facing street with a Black Brick stuck on the garage door, entrance was on S side of garage.
    ================================================== ========
    I got married in '66 and I'm almost sure the Black Brick was still there....I know the Volkstube was alive and well....Anyone ever go there????Vince Gill did....

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I got married in '66 and I'm almost sure the Black Brick was still there.
    It was around into the 70's. The last time I was there the 8 Track stereo
    was playing Iron Butterfly.

================================================== ========
    I got married in '66 and I'm almost sure the Black Brick was still there....I know the Volkstube was alive and well....Anyone ever go there????Vince Gill did....
    The Black Brick was still alive in the early 70's. Never heard of the Volkstube and wish I heard never HEARD Vince Gill.

Ever consider that the Black Brick had no phone?

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    The Black Brick was still alive in the early 70's. Never heard of the Volkstube and wish I heard never HEARD Vince Gill.

I figured that out after I had looked thru the phone books, but it might show up in the reverse address books. Might because it might just be under the residence owner's name.

Maybe I should ask this is the other thread, but does anyone remember the name of a bowling alley downtown, maybe around Reno or California, east of Shartel. My dad bowled there when I was very young...

Surely one of us can remember who owned the Black Brick. I just know I knew the person at the time but the fog around my memories is preventing access to that part of my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Maybe I should ask this is the other thread, but does anyone remember the name of a bowling alley downtown, maybe around Reno or California, east of Shartel. My dad bowled there when I was very young...
    Civic Center Lanes. Dewey and Couch I believe. My mom took me there in '62 for my first bowling experience. My first game was a 46, but...on the 5th frame I rolled a strike!
    Last edited by skyrick; 04-22-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add anecdote

Good point!! But if they DID have a phone how do you think they would have answered?

Good evening, This is the Black Brick, How may I direct your call? LMAO.....

I remember going to the Black Brick my senior year 67-68, so I know it was around then. I remember it like some of you, north of 23rd and east of OCU, and the house was on the west side of the street and the door faced east (I think). I think that was one of my first exposures to black lights and I thought it was sooo cool...well, probably thought it was "groovy" back then. We planned what we were going to wear to make sure we had a lot of white on. My blue and white striped cheerleader sweater really looked good....and blue tennis shoes with the white laces. Groovy man!!!!!

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    I remember going to the Black Brick my senior year 67-68, so I know it was around then. I remember it like some of you, north of 23rd and east of OCU, and the house was on the west side of the street and the door faced east (I think). I think that was one of my first exposures to black lights and I thought it was sooo cool...well, probably thought it was "groovy" back then. We planned what we were going to wear to make sure we had a lot of white on. My blue and white striped cheerleader sweater really looked good....and blue tennis shoes with the white laces. Groovy man!!!!!

~~~
    They had black lights when you were in high school? I thought you guys had one of those coal-oil lamps with a wick. (64 made me post this LMAO)

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I swear there was a phone on the wall where
    they kept the change. There was a bunch of cards and notes around it. It
    could have been unlisted.

They had black lights when you were in high school? I thought you guys had one of those coal-oil lamps with a wick. (64 made me post this LMAO)
    Hahahahaha......remember we WERE on on the northside.... they were far advanced in new fangled things like that... :-)

~~~

Hahahahaha......remember we WERE on on the northside.... they were far advanced in new fangled things like that... :-)

~~~
    ================================================== =========
    I was gonna be smart (hard for me) and say something about "Party lines"...then it dawned on me...that song in the 60's said "Party Lights...I see the "Party Lights"...Not party lines...Oh well, I 'll be quiet.....

================================================== =========
    I was gonna be smart (hard for me) and say something about "Party lines"...then it dawned on me...that song in the 60's said "Party Lights...I see the "Party Lights"...Not party lines...Oh well, I 'll be quiet.....
    Well..... I do remember party lines....and no direct dialing, had to call the operator to connect you to the number you wanted (BR-549) ....

~~~

Well..... I do remember party lines....and no direct dialing, had to call the operator to connect you to the number you wanted (BR-549) ....

~~~
    I remember party lines, independent phone companies. We lived in Harrah a few years and calling to and from OKC was long distance. I think Harrah was with the Chickasaw Phone Service. Don't remember that is the correct name of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Civic Center Lanes. Dewey and Couch I believe. My mom took me there in '62 for my first bowling experience. My first game was a 46, but...on the 5th frame I rolled a strike!
    Yes, I remember bowling there in the 50's when they still used pin boys.

I remember party lines, independent phone companies. We lived in Harrah a few years and calling to and from OKC was long distance. I think Harrah was with the Chickasaw Phone Service. Don't remember that is the correct name of the company.
    I remember going to my grandparents farm in Fairveiw Ok. when I was little, the phone would ring and everyone would just sit there, I would ask if they wanted me to answer it, they would respond with "no, it's not are ring".

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Yes, I remember bowling there in the 50's when they still used pin boys.
    Remember the old bowling alley on campus corner in Norman? They used pin boys into the '60s.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Remember the old bowling alley on campus corner in Norman? They used pin boys into the '60s.
    University Bowl? Think that place was open into the 1980's....

Did Harold's end up with the property?

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Yes, I went there a few times. I spent most of my youth, though, at Capitol Bowl on SW 29th. I think I grew up there. I don't think they ever had pin boys though.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Yes, I went there a few times. I spent most of my youth, though, at Capitol Bowl on SW 29th. I think I grew up there. I don't think they ever had pin boys though.
    papaOU ..I had an uncle that bowled a 300 game and he used to say that the bowling alley in question still had pin boys in the 60's. I think he was kidding. Is it still in biz? I remember going to the bank next door and lieing MAO for a loan and getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    papaOU ..I had an uncle that bowled a 300 game and he used to say that the bowling alley in question still had pin boys in the 60's. I think he was kidding. Is it still in biz? I remember going to the bank next door and lieing MAO for a loan and getting it.
    I started going there at least by the mid-60's and they were automated at that time. The place is no longer in business but several ventures have tried to use the place and they have all failed. They have been Hispanic dance clubs twice and were always packed on weekends but did not last.

I have felt for sometime that bowling is a dying sport. Nobody, bowling alley's, companies like AMF, Brunswick, etc..........are not doing anything to draw the kids in. I don't have an answer.

The Main Event that was proposed at Memorial & Western would have helped, it is like a cross between Dave N Busters and Chuck E Cheese without the little ones, I have seen quite a few teens in there at times. The one here gets pretty busy and has a bunch of events. The only time that we have been up there is IIDA Texas/Oklahoma Austin Chapter Bowling for Kids fundraiser, which is this coming Wednesday night.

My nephew's (7th) birthday party this year was at Windsor Lanes, she said that it was pretty busy with kids birthday parties on that day.

I have felt for sometime that bowling is a dying sport. Nobody, bowling alley's, companies like AMF, Brunswick, etc..........are not doing anything to draw the kids in. I don't have an answer.
    SPLITSVILLE

Opened in the Arlington (TX) Highlands last year. Just TRY to get in on a weekend. We haven't been yet, but my wife was an avid league bowler before we met, so I'm sure we will when her goofy RN schedule permits.

Thread Information