Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    One thing about them Black Diamonds back in the day, you couldn't miss the seeds. (huge)(good spitters)
    Miss the yellow-meated melons

But i like red as well

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Read a story once about some peopling driving to Las Vegas. They packed some food to eat along the way, including a watermelon. Got to Vegas, valet parking and they did not see the car for three days. Checkout to go home, valet brings car around with his his hanging out the drivers window.
    Forgot about the melon and it blew-up in the trunk. Makes me want to gag just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Do you mean a "fifty miler" as in the Boy Scouts? If not, I don't know what
    you're talking about. Please explain.

Forty mile Baptist, Methodist, etc... one who doesn't drink alcohol or go honky tonking or participate in other such endeavors within 40 miles of home so as to not arouse suspicion amongst the neighbors or congregation

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Forty mile Baptist, Methodist, etc... one who doesn't drink alcohol or go honky tonking or participate in other such endeavors within 40 miles of home so as to not arouse suspicion amongst the neighbors or congregation
    ================================================== ========
    Just before Waco, Texas on I-35 there is a small Czech town (West, Texas). There used to be a Family Restaurant that served the best food (The Family Restaurant was the name). However the Baptist group from around the local towns would NOT indulge in a Cold Beer.....So, the guy that owned the restaurant had a "Lean-to" shed attached to the building with opening and closing Garage Doors.....You "Honked", the door went up, you pulled in ...gave your order....a young KID would load your purchase in an inconspicuos box....pay the tab and go home with No One knowing any different.....the food was Better that great....No One ever beat their chicken Fry....the beer was ICE COLD....I meant the Tea......

Liquor store in Edmond has a back door. Parking spaces marked out - about 4 spaces - for the Baptists. Only bad thing, a Sonic was built right by it and now the east row of stalls at Sonic have a view of the Baptist parking spaces.

Will Rogers said, "Oklahoma will remain dry as long as the voters stagger to the polls."

Was in the neighborhood today (purposely) of where I thought the "Black Brick" coffee house was located. The building is gone. I thought I had found it but the building is no longer there. Stopped and talked to a guy sitting on his front porch who said he had lived at 13th and N. Blackwelder since 1971, said he thought it was located in the 1300 block of N. McKinley! Buildings have been torn down, siding installed etc. It was either the 1300 block of Blackwelder or McKinley!! I went by and looked at it about 30 years ago just to see if I could find it. Where can a person get access to old OKC phone books, that would tell the tale!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Was in the neighborhood today (purposely) of where I thought the "Black Brick" coffee house was located. The building is gone. I thought I had found it but the building is no longer there. Stopped and talked to a guy sitting on his front porch who said he had lived at 13th and N. Blackwelder since 1971, said he thought it was located in the 1300 block of N. McKinley! Buildings have been torn down, siding installed etc. It was either the 1300 block of Blackwelder or McKinley!! I went by and looked at it about 30 years ago just to see if I could find it. Where can a person get access to old OKC phone books, that would tell the tale!!
    I thought it was closer to NW 24-26th?

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    It's kind of a mind bender that nobody seems to remember the exact location but, I think it is because it was in a residential area. I'am pretty sure it was orginally a home. (not positive) My memory of the place was that it was kind of a "beatnick" kinda place and I thought it was boreing.

The Black Brick was definitely north of 23rd street on McKinley.

I went all the way to N.W. 33rd and the neighborhoods kept getting nicer the further north of 16th that I went!! I'm 99% sure it was the 1300 block of Blackwelder or McKinley!! Sure wish I knew where I could get access to old phone books! Library??

I went all the way to N.W. 33rd and the neighborhoods kept getting nicer the further north of 16th that I went!! I'm 99% sure it was the 1300 block of Blackwelder or McKinley!! Sure wish I knew where I could get access to old phone books! Library??
    Maybe Southwestern Bell could help?

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Yep, It was definitely north of 23rd, I just don't remember the street #.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Yep, on the west side of the street at the end of an ally that ran between two rows of houses. It looked like a detached garage with a walk-in door on the NE corner of the building. The only indication it was a business was a small light set into a cubbyhole on the east outside wall. I'm not sure it ever actually had an address. The inside was painted black with psychedelic designs painted with florescent paint on the walls and lit by blacklights as was common in that era.

"It was far-out man! A real happening!"

I just Google streetviewed that whole area and it sure don't look like it did in the 60's.

That immediate area has changed quite a bit from even the early 80's.

Maybe I was a weeeeeeeeeeee bit under the weather when I went there!! LOL

Hear ya...

The fruit drinks at the Black Brick had names like:
    Purple Passion
    Black Bugs Blood
    Sunshine something...

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    The fruit drinks at the Black Brick had names like:
    Purple Passion
    Black Bugs Blood
    Sunshine something...
    Ha!!..I remembered I had a Purple Passion while I was there now that you posted the name.
    (I think it was Kool Aid)

Prunepicker Guest

You are correct. It was on the west side of the street, too. A friend of mine
    lived just north of the Black Brick and on the east side of the street.

the OKC Main Library has old phone books...

I'm letting you guys roll, but I have always thought it was east of Classen, about 1 block

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I'm letting you guys roll, but I have always thought it was east of Classen,
    about 1 block
    I was on N. McKinley.

Been there.........lots of foggy times in times past.....Childhood Memories of OKC, page 5, thanks Google.

Thread Information