Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Does anyone remember Monterey House? I remember the sign, but don't remember eating there. Maybe there wasn't even one in OKC. I may be remembering a matchbook cover from my mom's collection. Anyway, there's still two in Beaumont, TX. I may try it someday.
    Our Spanish Club at NE High School went to Monterrey House as an excursion (70 or 71) and I was not impressed. Of course I was weaned on the original El Charrito.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    There once was a Catfish Cabin at S.W. 29th & May. (N.E. Corner)
    Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    There was a MWC location as well. N.E. 10th near Douglas Blvd.

The one on N.W. 63rd closed for a period of time not long ago.
    The NW 63rd location was the only one that I knew of, my grandparents loved the place. I know they closed for awhile when the old location was torn down to build the new one but that was quite a few years ago.

Not a restaurant, but does anyone remember Gordan's Hot dogs, Gordon was a elderly Blackman that sold the best hot dogs I ever tasted, he drove around the inner City in a white van, stopping at pre-determined locations daily. This would have been in the mid 60's to mid 70's.

Pick's Fine Foods on Britton Rd near Western. Cherry's Drive on NW 23 near OCU, at one point they had go-go dancers in cages by the street. El Charrito was the only Mexican place we went to, their pralines were heavenly, great lunch platters, all I can remember is The Sonoran but they had great names. The Coachman on N Western had a great Coachburger, 3 buns like Kips or a Big Mac...and Kip's on N May, had a combo plate wth burger fries and a salad and a superb chocolate cake ice cream dessert. The Split-T before it was remodeled, Johnnie (of Johnnie's) took your order, there were pieces of OU-TX goalposts over the counter and portraits of Bud Wilkinson and Cliff Speegle. I loved the Pink Kitchen at 23rd and Lottie, had the best spinning stools at counter a 5-yr old could desire. The Villager in Casady Square had a great breaded veal cutlet. And who remembers the trip to Dallas before I-35, it required a stop at Pick's Tamales in Davis, and, Pauls Valley, pecan pie from, Field's.

And someone should have preserved that rotating Hik'ry Pit sign at NW36th & May, as I recall it was an Indian chasing a pig with a tomahawk or cleaver. How 'bout an ice cold Triple AAA root beer at that great barrel stand at 13th & N Broadway...enough for now, but I could go on http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2852

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Pick's Fine Foods on Britton Rd near Western. Cherry's Drive on NW 23 near OCU, at one point they had go-go dancers in cages by the street. El Charrito was the only Mexican place we went to, their pralines were heavenly, great lunch platters, all I can remember is The Sonoran but they had great names. The Coachman on N Western had a great Coachburger, 3 buns like Kips or a Big Mac...and Kip's on N May, had a combo plate wth burger fries and a salad and a superb chocolate cake ice cream dessert. The Split-T before it was remodeled, Johnnie (of Johnnie's) took your order, there were pieces of OU-TX goalposts over the counter and portraits of Bud Wilkinson and Cliff Speegle. I loved the Pink Kitchen at 23rd and Lottie, had the best spinning stools at counter a 5-yr old could desire. The Villager in Casady Square had a great breaded veal cutlet. And who remembers the trip to Dallas before I-35, it required a stop at Pick's Tamales in Davis, and, Pauls Valley, pecan pie from, Field's.

And someone should have preserved that rotating Hik'ry Pit sign at NW36th & May, as I recall it was an Indian chasing a pig with a tomahawk or cleaver. How 'bout an ice cold Triple AAA root beer at that great barrel stand at 13th & N Broadway...enough for now, but I could go on Hik'ry Pit BBQ - OKCTalk Photo Gallery
    ================================================== =======
    Too early in the morning to be talking like this....Ricky's Mexican Restaurant in Moore has the El Charrito menu goods...Jalisco...The Sonoran...some of the other El Charitto menued items....great Mexican food...good prices....The old Hikry Inn parking sign on N. May was still there not too long ago. My Dad drove a truck forever and he would always stop at Fields....Back when Mrs. Fields just baked the pies for their restaurant. I know her Pecan Pie was and still is wonderful but, she used to bake a mean Banana Cream pie with a topping to die for and, if you were a little boy with your dad on a trip from Ardmore to OKC and knew how to sweep the floor....free pie and Ice cold milk....Now, those were and are great memories.... Pick's in Davis was the family stop when we would go to visit in Ardmore....Until my Uncle told me there were No More Cats in Davis, Oklahoma after they opened the Tamale stand....One small lie caused me to miss out on years of great Tamales....

Does anyone remember when El Rancho Sanchez on Western was such a good place to eat????

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Does anyone remember when El Rancho Sanchez on Western was such a good place to eat????
    I do! And it was one of the best mexican joints in town. Not to many people seem to remember this place but, Moore's Little Mexico was also great. (Been gone a long time)

Any "old timer's" remember Salami's hot dogs on s.w. 29th a few yards east of Douglas Blvd. on the Southside of the street!!! (early fifties)

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Not a restaurant, but does anyone remember Gordan's Hot dogs, Gordon was a elderly Blackman that sold the best hot dogs I ever tasted, he drove around the inner City in a white van, stopping at pre-determined locations daily. This would have been in the mid 60's to mid 70's.
    I worked at Fred Jones Ford when i tasted the first gordons hotdogs and i didn't miss getting one very many times. They used to fix'em and throw them from the front of the van to the rear while you were paying out. I think it was in the 90's last time i had one.

Speaking of trips on old 77, remember the cider stands in and around Davis?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Speaking of trips on old 77, remember the cider stands in and around Davis?
    We would stop every time we passed by. Coming and going.
    Thanks to the food police we no longer can enjoy that old time pleasure.

12. Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    We would stop every time we passed by. Coming and going.
    Thanks to the food police we no longer can enjoy that old time pleasure.
    Oh yes, and watermelon stands, too.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Oh yes, and watermelon stands, too.
    I remember Dad picking up a 100lb Black Diamond near Ardmore. It was
    incredible. There's a photo of him and a neighbor with handkerchiefs over
    there faces so they looked like surgeons. That was one big 'melon.

I remember Dad picking up a 100lb Black Diamond near Ardmore. It was
    incredible. There's a photo of him and a neighbor with handkerchiefs over
    there faces so they looked like surgeons. That was one big 'melon.
    One thing about them Black Diamonds back in the day, you couldn't miss the seeds. (huge)(good spitters)

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I posted somewhere here about the one on North May across from Dub Richardson Ford. Missed it when the building sold.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    One thing about them Black Diamonds back in the day, you couldn't miss the
    seeds. (huge)(good spitters)

Sometimes you could paint 12 of them red and play checkers with 'em.

August is still the Rush Springs Festival.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

A funny thing about Rush Springs watermelons.

A couple of years ago there was a truck on a corner with a sign that said
    "RUSH SPRINGS MELONS". That wasn't too unusual. BUT the tag on the
    truck was from Minnesota.

I wish I had had a camera. That would be a good one to have.

Another funny thing is that in August every 'melon between Maine and
    California is from Rush Springs.

Down here we have the Luling Watermelon Thump the last weekend of June.

Default Re: Restaurant memories

A funny thing about Rush Springs watermelons.

A couple of years ago there was a truck on a corner with a sign that said
    "RUSH SPRINGS MELONS". That wasn't too unusual. BUT the tag on the
    truck was from Minnesota.

I wish I had had a camera. That would be a good one to have.

Another funny thing is that in August every 'melon between Maine and
    California is from Rush Springs.
    Dem damn yankees!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Down here we have the Luling Watermelon Thump the last weekend of
    June.
    We're talking about watermelons that are grown in the 47 contiguous
    United States. NOT Baja Oklahoma!

Back in the day, way back in the day I remember coming to Oklahoma from west Texas along with my family to see relatives in Enid. Picked up several choice black diamonds and got stopped by the Highway Patrol, the tail end of the car was so low they thought Dad was a bootlegger. Had to core the melons to prove they weren't injected.

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Back in the day, way back in the day I remember coming to Oklahoma from west Texas along with my family to see relatives in Enid. Picked up several choice black diamonds and got stopped by the Highway Patrol, the tail end of the car was so low they thought Dad was a bootlegger. Had to core the melons to prove they weren't injected.
    LOL.. Sounds like my kinda luck. He..He..

Prunepicker Guest

Back in the day, way back in the day I remember coming to Oklahoma from
    west Texas along with my family to see relatives in Enid. Picked up several
    choice black diamonds and got stopped by the Highway Patrol, the tail end of
    the car was so low they thought Dad was a bootlegger. Had to core the
    melons to prove they weren't injected.
    THAT is an incredible story!

Come to think of it... each melon could have held several gallons of "moon".
    Did he plug one?

THAT is an incredible story!

Come to think of it... each melon could have held several gallons of "moon".
    Did he plug one?

Not that I'm aware of. We weren't Baptists, but Pops was a forty-miler and never around us kids. BTW, this was probably 1954, so only near beer was legal in Oklahoma.

Ever go raid a watermelon patch? Meanest S.O.B farmer there ever was lived up between Cherokee and Alva. Had two electric fences around his patch. First one was ankle high to where you couldn't see it, second one was about 3 feet inside that one so that when you tripped on the first one you fell onto the second one. Pretty much stuck! Gonna git lit up no matter what. Bet he used to sit up nights laughing himself silly at all the hollerin' going on.

Prunepicker Guest

Not that I'm aware of. We weren't Baptists, but Pops was a forty-miler and
    never around us kids.

Ever go raid a watermelon patch? Meanest S.O.B farmer there ever was
    lived up between Cherokee and Alva. Had two electric fences around his
    patch. First one was ankle high to where you couldn't see it, second one
    was about 3 feet inside that one so that when you tripped on the first one
    you fell onto the second one. Pretty much stuck! Gonna git lit up no matter
    what. Bet he used to sit up nights laughing himself silly at all the hollerin'
    going on.
    Do you mean a "fifty miler" as in the Boy Scouts? If not, I don't know what
    you're talking about. Please explain.

Electric fences. Did you ever tell someone to pee on one? While it's true
    that they were almost always pulsating and didn't "grab you" the first time,
    one would inevitably manage a stream for a few seconds and then there
    would be the usual 1/2 hour of screaming!

Thread Information