Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    I miss the heck out of Piggys. In Bricktown before there was a Bricktown.
    Where and when was Piggy's? I don't remember it.

Orginally it was in the little building where Bricktown Burgers is now. Back when the ONLY thing around was the rail station across the street. Which is now the police station/parking lot. There was nothing in the area at the time. It was only open weekdays at lunch. When Bricktown took off they moved into the big building where Crabtown is now.

They had great BBQ. The beans were awesome. Good stuff.

Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I think there were 2. One was on N.W. 23rd just west of N. Pennsylvania. It
    later became a "Chung King" restaurant. The other I know of was on the
    southside of N.W. Expressway west of Baptist hospital. It became Der
    Dutchman but I don't remember the food changing.
    Thanks, Prune.

Does anyone remember Monterey House? I remember the sign, but don't remember eating there. Maybe there wasn't even one in OKC. I may be remembering a matchbook cover from my mom's collection. Anyway, there's still two in Beaumont, TX. I may try it someday.

There was a Monterey House at N.W 39th Expressway about a block west of Meridian on the north side of the street. There was one on the south side somewhere too. I really liked their salsa. There was a seafood restaurant in the building where House of Chan was off 39th and Penn. I do not remember the name. There is an Aikido studio there now. Zuider Zee is what became Der Dutchman by Baptist Hospital. There is a Henry Hudson's there now. Henry Hudson's is owned by Adair's which owned Der Dutchman. Grant Baily, who managed Der Dutchman, owned Harbour House in Bethany. The food was similiar to Der Dutchman. Unfortunatley, he closed it down last year to concentrate on catering. Falcone's went into the same spot and only lasted about four months.

Bigray in Ok

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Does anyone remember Monterey House? I remember the sign, but don't
    remember eating there. Maybe there wasn't even one in OKC. I may be
    remembering a matchbook cover from my mom's collection. Anyway, there's
    still two in Beaumont, TX. I may try it someday.
    There were two that I know of. They were great. One was on N. May and
    on the east side of the street. South of W. Wilshire.

The one I went to, at least once a week, was on N.W. 39th Expressway.
    West of N. Meridian and on the north side of the street. About a half dozen
    of us hippies invaded it every Friday night. It was the second purchase made
    after cashing our pay checks.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Does anyone remember Monterey House? I remember the sign, but don't remember eating there. Maybe there wasn't even one in OKC. I may be remembering a matchbook cover from my mom's collection. Anyway, there's still two in Beaumont, TX. I may try it someday.
    Our Spanish Club at NE High School went to Monterrey House as an excursion (70 or 71) and I was not impressed. Of course I was weaned on the original El Charrito.

Anyone know if those buildings are still alive?

There once was a Catfish Cabin at S.W. 29th & May. (N.E. Corner)

We used to eat at the 39th street Montery House all the time. I miss it.

Catfish Cabin is still there but it is strickly buffet now.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    There was a MWC location as well. N.E. 10th near Douglas Blvd.

The one on N.W. 63rd closed for a period of time not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    There was a MWC location as well. N.E. 10th near Douglas Blvd.

The one on N.W. 63rd closed for a period of time not long ago.
    The NW 63rd location was the only one that I knew of, my grandparents loved the place. I know they closed for awhile when the old location was torn down to build the new one but that was quite a few years ago.

The Sofabellas building is probably where I remember seeing the Monterey sign. I always enjoyed the car rides to the Target at NWX and May for my Star Wars figures.

There is a old drive in sort of west of the old downtown district of Edmond where cars would park in a circle around the building and the order stands were like sonic`s , ecept for the fact a little train came out on a rail and delivered your food......what was the name of this burger joint?

Not a restaurant, but does anyone remember Gordan's Hot dogs, Gordon was a elderly Blackman that sold the best hot dogs I ever tasted, he drove around the inner City in a white van, stopping at pre-determined locations daily. This would have been in the mid 60's to mid 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Not a restaurant, but does anyone remember Gordan's Hot dogs, Gordon was a elderly Blackman that sold the best hot dogs I ever tasted, he drove around the inner City in a white van, stopping at pre-determined locations daily. This would have been in the mid 60's to mid 70's.
    I worked at Fred Jones Ford when i tasted the first gordons hotdogs and i didn't miss getting one very many times. They used to fix'em and throw them from the front of the van to the rear while you were paying out. I think it was in the 90's last time i had one.

Pick's Fine Foods on Britton Rd near Western. Cherry's Drive on NW 23 near OCU, at one point they had go-go dancers in cages by the street. El Charrito was the only Mexican place we went to, their pralines were heavenly, great lunch platters, all I can remember is The Sonoran but they had great names. The Coachman on N Western had a great Coachburger, 3 buns like Kips or a Big Mac...and Kip's on N May, had a combo plate wth burger fries and a salad and a superb chocolate cake ice cream dessert. The Split-T before it was remodeled, Johnnie (of Johnnie's) took your order, there were pieces of OU-TX goalposts over the counter and portraits of Bud Wilkinson and Cliff Speegle. I loved the Pink Kitchen at 23rd and Lottie, had the best spinning stools at counter a 5-yr old could desire. The Villager in Casady Square had a great breaded veal cutlet. And who remembers the trip to Dallas before I-35, it required a stop at Pick's Tamales in Davis, and, Pauls Valley, pecan pie from, Field's.

And someone should have preserved that rotating Hik'ry Pit sign at NW36th & May, as I recall it was an Indian chasing a pig with a tomahawk or cleaver. How 'bout an ice cold Triple AAA root beer at that great barrel stand at 13th & N Broadway...enough for now, but I could go on http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2852

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Pick's Fine Foods on Britton Rd near Western. Cherry's Drive on NW 23 near OCU, at one point they had go-go dancers in cages by the street. El Charrito was the only Mexican place we went to, their pralines were heavenly, great lunch platters, all I can remember is The Sonoran but they had great names. The Coachman on N Western had a great Coachburger, 3 buns like Kips or a Big Mac...and Kip's on N May, had a combo plate wth burger fries and a salad and a superb chocolate cake ice cream dessert. The Split-T before it was remodeled, Johnnie (of Johnnie's) took your order, there were pieces of OU-TX goalposts over the counter and portraits of Bud Wilkinson and Cliff Speegle. I loved the Pink Kitchen at 23rd and Lottie, had the best spinning stools at counter a 5-yr old could desire. The Villager in Casady Square had a great breaded veal cutlet. And who remembers the trip to Dallas before I-35, it required a stop at Pick's Tamales in Davis, and, Pauls Valley, pecan pie from, Field's.

And someone should have preserved that rotating Hik'ry Pit sign at NW36th & May, as I recall it was an Indian chasing a pig with a tomahawk or cleaver. How 'bout an ice cold Triple AAA root beer at that great barrel stand at 13th & N Broadway...enough for now, but I could go on Hik'ry Pit BBQ - OKCTalk Photo Gallery
    ================================================== =======
    Too early in the morning to be talking like this....Ricky's Mexican Restaurant in Moore has the El Charrito menu goods...Jalisco...The Sonoran...some of the other El Charitto menued items....great Mexican food...good prices....The old Hikry Inn parking sign on N. May was still there not too long ago. My Dad drove a truck forever and he would always stop at Fields....Back when Mrs. Fields just baked the pies for their restaurant. I know her Pecan Pie was and still is wonderful but, she used to bake a mean Banana Cream pie with a topping to die for and, if you were a little boy with your dad on a trip from Ardmore to OKC and knew how to sweep the floor....free pie and Ice cold milk....Now, those were and are great memories.... Pick's in Davis was the family stop when we would go to visit in Ardmore....Until my Uncle told me there were No More Cats in Davis, Oklahoma after they opened the Tamale stand....One small lie caused me to miss out on years of great Tamales....

Does anyone remember when El Rancho Sanchez on Western was such a good place to eat????

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Does anyone remember when El Rancho Sanchez on Western was such a good place to eat????
    I do! And it was one of the best mexican joints in town. Not to many people seem to remember this place but, Moore's Little Mexico was also great. (Been gone a long time)

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I posted somewhere here about the one on North May across from Dub Richardson Ford. Missed it when the building sold.

Any "old timer's" remember Salami's hot dogs on s.w. 29th a few yards east of Douglas Blvd. on the Southside of the street!!! (early fifties)

Speaking of trips on old 77, remember the cider stands in and around Davis?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Speaking of trips on old 77, remember the cider stands in and around Davis?
    We would stop every time we passed by. Coming and going.
    Thanks to the food police we no longer can enjoy that old time pleasure.

25. Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    We would stop every time we passed by. Coming and going.
    Thanks to the food police we no longer can enjoy that old time pleasure.
    Oh yes, and watermelon stands, too.

Thread Information