Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 181920212223

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

The Oklahoman is reporting that Johnny Papahronis from the old Lunch Box downtown, died on Saturday. Age 89. Was such a neat place.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    The Oklahoman is reporting that Johnny Papahronis from the old Lunch Box downtown, died on Saturday. Age 89. Was such a neat place.
    I saw that this morning and was trying to think if the guy's name that took over Lunch Box and had it till it closed for good. Anyone remember? Last I heard, he was running the restaurant out at the stockyards west of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I saw that this morning and was trying to think if the guy's name that took over Lunch Box and had it till it closed for good. Anyone remember? Last I heard, he was running the restaurant out at the stockyards west of OKC
    Sounds like you're thinking of Joe Johnston. He was the final owner of the Lunch Box and passed away in January of this year.

Joe was in the original Chi Chi’s group.

Also had Gators, The Ground Floor Cafe, The Ice House, Joe Kelly’s, Kansas City Blues BBQ, The Lunch Box, The Magnolia Cafe, Mamasita’s, and Two Pesos.

He also purchased the franchise rights to Christies Toy Box in the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Sounds like you're thinking of Joe Johnston. He was the final owner of the Lunch Box and passed away in January of this year.

Also had Gators, The Ground Floor Cafe, The Ice House, Joe Kelly’s, Kansas City Blues BBQ, The Lunch Box, The Magnolia Cafe, Mamasita’s, and Two Pesos.

I guess I was wrong on the owner. I am talking about the guy that actually ran the place every day I thought he was owner or was trying to buy the place. I figured out his name ... Ed Strawn.

5. Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

That's certainly a colorful business history!

Blog Entries

Wiley York operated Big Beef BBQ on the Classen Circle for years: Smoked Ribs, Beef & Pork. Had the best BBQ and side orders of coleslaw & smoked BBQ beans. They offered full plates or small baskets: 2 ribs, sliced beef or chopped pork sandwiches on bun served with small sides of french fries, BBQ beans or coleslaw.

Really miss Big Beef, the place was always packed and frequented by tourists. Saw an all women's motor cycle gang (form Las Vegas) there one time--they were rough looking Attica style women (Attica's a men facility).

They were an original Little Pigs of America (Memphis style BBQ); the only one of 3 in the country to survive in OKC; later under the new Big Beef Branding.

Big Beef was often referred as the best BBQ in Oklahoma in the conversation with Bob's BBQ in Ada.

The savory smoke from their massive brick BBQ pit advertised from old Route 66 highway. Probably contributed to the many wrecks on the circle before it was redeveloped. The new Big Beef Building was later acquired by Jimmy's Egg.

I always enjoyed Big Beef. I don't think they were the best in OKC but certainly in the top five. They might have been one of the cheapest because their platters were always loaded with food. Of course it's all subjective but I preferred Leo's, Tom's Oaklawn and a couple that weren't around much to compete with Big Beef. I'm old so I remember a lot of good bbq places that closed when the owner either retired or died, so that's what I mean when I say they weren't around much.
    C. T.

HangryHippo Guest

Apologies if it’s been discussed, but does anyone remember a place called (I think) ‘Across the Street’?

Yes, there was one on SW 59th. I think they had red phones at the booth you used to place your order. Great chicken fried steak.

HangryHippo Guest

Yes, great chicken fried steak. Wasn’t there one somewhere off the NW Expressway?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Apologies if it’s been discussed, but does anyone remember a place called (I think) ‘Across the Street’?
    Yes, there was one at 39th & Ann Arbor, and May & Hefner as well . They were owned by Sed Kennedy, who later changed the name of the restaurants to “Kennedys”. He’s the same guy who who owned Pistachio’s in 50 Penn.

HangryHippo Guest

Outstanding. Thanks to both of you for the information.

13. Mustang Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes, great chicken fried steak. Wasn’t there one somewhere off the NW Expressway?
    Yes. NW corner of NWE and Grand where Starbucks is now. My first job at 14 was being a busboy there. Ancient history now.

Curly Q fries and you ordered on a telephone in your booth then the light would turn red and buzz when your order was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Curly Q fries and you ordered on a telephone in your booth then the light would turn red and buzz when your order was ready....
    For those that miss that bit of nostalgia, Chuck House still has that system (and pretty good chicken fried steak too ).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Curly Q fries and you ordered on a telephone in your booth then the light would turn red and buzz when your order was ready.

I have a couple of the old menus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9032B15B-4F0E-4984-84AD-FD616116AC64.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	16108

Name:	E4862B6D-12C1-4165-B083-05C85CE3572D.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	16109

Name:	4636DD10-BB0C-406C-BFF6-645F0D231999.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	16110

Name:	4372485F-0249-4895-BA8B-B45EED7E5CD5.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	16111

Name:	EA9C16F4-FB6E-4837-8739-1FF47E0800AA.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	16112

Name:	D8B1C3F2-A24E-4999-A818-89019CE5D44D.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	16113

Name:	EF6F66D8-7AC6-4823-BC63-3718EB97BA96.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	16114
    Last edited by rezman; 05-24-2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: More info

We ate at the one right across from Baptist hospital. It was on our weekly list when I was at Hertz.
    C. T.

There was one on Boyd in Norman back in the day.

Rezman, thanks for posting those old Across the Street menus. Those are great!

Sid Kennedy passed away in 2017. I believe Hal Smith worked at the one on Campus Corner.

https://legcy.co/2X9MGh9

Thread Information