Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "north side of 25th." There was one between 25th and 26th on the east side of Harvey. It was kind of strange since the east entrance/exit was into an alley.
    The only business that I remember i.d. was a "coffee shop" owned and ran by a guy whose name was Doyle. At least that was what I think his name to be. Part of it or maybe all is a Latino sports bar. It seems to be doing quite well. During soccer play offs and championship games the place is packed...
    ================================================== =========
    On the N.W. corner of 25th/Walker all of those old buildings were torn down...there used to be a mall like shopping area located just to the West of the Knob Hill Theater.....I think there is a Mexican Mercado there now...9southside of 25th/Commerce:....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    On the N.W. corner of 25th/Walker all of those old buildings were torn down...there used to be a mall like shopping area located just to the West of the Knob Hill Theater.....I think there is a Mexican Mercado there now...9southside of 25th/Commerce:....
    A parking lot is now where the mall was. The super Mercado is in the building that housed a carpet store. I think the place was one of Barton's many business's.

A parking lot is now where the mall was. The super Mercado is in the building that housed a carpet store. I think the place was one of Barton's many business's.
    All I remember on the N.W. corner of 25th and Walker was Joe's Texaco!! I thought to the west of him was all residential and all the business's were to the North of him!! Is that not correct???

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    All I remember on the N.W. corner of 25th and Walker was Joe's Texaco!! I thought to the west of him was all residential and all the business's were to the North of him!! Is that not correct???
    I was checking to see if you were paying attention to my posting...I meant the N.E. corner. Joe's is now Jose's......Tires and wheels....

There were 2 business locations west of Joe's and then the residential area began. South of him was Humpty Dumpty. '64 is talking about the Southside of Commerce in the 400 block.

When I was growing up the southeast corner of Commerce and Walker had a used car lot (Fred Jones?). Heading east was the carpet store, Cattlemen's mall, a small office, the knob hill theater and on the corner a clothing store. I think it was kind of upscale womens store. I remember it to be Mosher-Adams, but it was a clothing store before that.

I have some photos of the Hill on Photobucket: http://s664.photobucket.com/home/pap...uploads?page=2

There were 2 business locations west of Joe's and then the residential area began. South of him was Humpty Dumpty. '64 is talking about the Southside of Commerce in the 400 block.

When I was growing up the southeast corner of Commerce and Walker had a used car lot (Fred Jones?). Heading east was the carpet store, Cattlemen's mall, a small office, the knob hill theater and on the corner a clothing store. I think it was kind of upscale womens store. I remember it to be Mosher-Adams, but it was a clothing store before that.

I have some photos of the Hill on Photobucket: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
    Peyton-Marcus?

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Peyton-Marcus?
    I must be getting old, can't seem to ever remember that.

I must be getting old, can't seem to ever remember that.
    Yer not old unless you think so. My Grandfather's brother was one of the owners of Peyton-Marcos on"The Hill "and other locations. He was a "Dallas Guy". PaPa what do you think of the SOONER FOOTBALL team this comming year?

Yer not old unless you think so. My Grandfather's brother was one of the owners of Peyton-Marcos on"The Hill "and other locations. He was a "Dallas Guy". PaPa what do you think of the SOONER FOOTBALL team this comming year?
    Just three questions/concerns. Offensive line? Offensive line? Offensive line?

Pro team=the Vikes: QB? D. Line? Secondary?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey gen70:......I'm impressed. Peyton-Marcus was quite a fashion statement throughout town. Steve, if you're reading this you need to see if 70 has any OKC Pictures.....

Hey surely someone remembers Glen's Hikry Innn come on...tell some stories. Now there was Cattlemen's Drive-Inn....Very interesting....How about Ellen's Grille....Shipman's.....The original Cocino de Mino:...29th/Central...

Don's Alley on S.e. 29th st....on 15th there was a rib house v\called the crib....surely you ate there at one time of the other.....Pulliaum's;.....Many Stories.....How about the burgers at Nichols Hills Rexall Drug...the real stuff..
    everyone reading this knows other places...let's do a monthly gathering for a different type of food....Not leave Coit's...But, let's try something and take our Spouses....I can name a hundred........have you ever eaten in the Mercy Hospotal Cafeteria?????delicious....even the old Presbyterian Hospital....make a monthly date night.....Let's take a vote and majority rules...Gotta Bring a date...there's a foreign wars place that will let us come and dance on Saturday night...called 40 & 8 located on the southwest corner of 119th and May avenue....Nice place inexpensive and hey serve good snacks. I'm in for it and ready to put it all together.....On a Saturday night what'd yu guys think????We need to meet Mom's boyfriend and Pennyquilts has got to bring the federal man

They've been wanting me to Smoke Briskets and Ribs and if you guys will get a few couples together I'll commit for the event....They use it as a fund-raiser....Any Takers or just a bunch of wimps///The changelle has been thrown....

64.. you made me think.. I worked on a hospital in Macon Ga. in the late 80's and, the food in the cafeteria was really good.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories.

Tony's on Penn had the best linguine with clam sauce. And juke box!
    That was Tony's Italian Specialties! It was great. I took a date there and
    when the waiter brought the bill he said they didn't take credit cards. I was
    rumaging through my car trying to scrape up enough cash to pay.

The Juke box was fabulous!

Prunepicker Guest

Anyone ever eat at the Italian restaurant (pronounced) Gee-O-sep-ees) in
    Marlow, Ok. The building is a 110 yr old bank bldg, GREAT food...
    Not me? Is it still there? I remember the Tower on the south side of Marlow.
    It was pretty good.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

Does anyone remember the Farmer's Daughter Drive-In?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Does anyone remember the Farmer's Daughter Drive-In?
    Way out on N.W. 10th or 23rd or somewhere in that direction!! It was far West on the Northside. I thought it was called "The Ranchers Daughter."

Prunepicker Guest

Way out on N.W. 10th or 23rd or somewhere in that direction!! It was far
    West on the Northside. I thought it was called "The Ranchers Daughter."
    It was just east of Meridian on N.W. 23rd street and on the north side.

Hey, didn't Beverly's have an item on the menu called the Farmer's Daughter?
    I'm sure it had pancakes!

Prunepicker Guest

We've discussed this on another thread.

What was the Ogle Special at Dolores' Cafe?

Way out on N.W. 10th or 23rd or somewhere in that direction!! It was far West on the Northside. I thought it was called "The Ranchers Daughter."
    Farmer, Rancher pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Not me? Is it still there? I remember the Tower on the south side of Marlow.
    It was pretty good.
    It's very good, highly recommend it! Open only on Wed thru Sat... Well worth the drive!!

Hey surely someone remembers Glen's Hikry Innn come on...tell some stories. Now there was Cattlemen's Drive-Inn....Very interesting....How about Ellen's Grille....Shipman's.....The original Cocino de Mino:...29th/Central...

Don's Alley on S.e. 29th st....on 15th there was a rib house v\called the crib....surely you ate there at one time of the other.....Pulliaum's;.....Many Stories.....How about the burgers at Nichols Hills Rexall Drug...the real stuff..
    everyone reading this knows other places...let's do a monthly gathering for a different type of food....Not leave Coit's...But, let's try something and take our Spouses....I can name a hundred........have you ever eaten in the Mercy Hospotal Cafeteria?????delicious....even the old Presbyterian Hospital....make a monthly date night.....Let's take a vote and majority rules...Gotta Bring a date...there's a foreign wars place that will let us come and dance on Saturday night...called 40 & 8 located on the southwest corner of 119th and May avenue....Nice place inexpensive and hey serve good snacks. I'm in for it and ready to put it all together.....On a Saturday night what'd yu guys think????We need to meet Mom's boyfriend and Pennyquilts has got to bring the federal man

They've been wanting me to Smoke Briskets and Ribs and if you guys will get a few couples together I'll commit for the event....They use it as a fund-raiser....Any Takers or just a bunch of wimps///The changelle has been thrown....
    I've got an idea!! You have a great big house on a large piece of land!! Why don't YOU throw a big "Whing-Ding" Bar-B-Q with your smoked ribs, brisket, hot links etc. (I kind of like a little cole slaw with mine). Tub's of cold Bud Lite iced down (I prefer the hard stuff myself) and tons of vegetables, liked roasted ears of corn and so forth.. I think you could draw a real large crowd, everyone could have a big time, and we could all stand and stare at all your personal wealth! If I had your money, I'd throw mine away!! What sounds like a good date for this shin-dig now that your obligated to PRODUCE????? Step up to the plate BOY, it's your turn to bat!! P.S. You could even incorporate a small private car show to go along with the eats!!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    Farmer, Rancher pretty close.
    That depends upon whom you're speaking to. Those can be fightin' words.

Prunepicker Guest

... Pulliaum's... Many Stories...
    Pulliam's! Oh yeah! Complete with the bubbling sauce in the jugs in the
    window. Why were they bubbling? There wasn't any fire under them? Because
    it was aged to perfection.

[QUOTE=Generals64;317323]Hey surely someone remembers Glen's Hikry Innn come on...tell some stories. Now there was Cattlemen's Drive-Inn....Very interesting....How about Ellen's Grille....Shipman's.....The original Cocino de Mino:...29th/Central...

Since you asked....before Mario and Leticia took over ownership and operation of the restaurant at 29 & Central it was known simply as Mino's. Owners lived upstairs. When Mario and Leticia took over there were 2 cooks, Mario ran the cash register and helped prepare the plates, Leticia seated the guests and took orders because she could speak English and the 2 waitresses served the appetizers, kept the drinks filled,and served the food. The flour tortillas were made fresh on site. I think they were one of, if not the first in OKC to serve white flour tortillas. They started out with just a few small tables, later had maybe 10 or 12, made a patio on the east side for summertime and then enclosed it for year round use. Best service of just about any restaurant anywhere. After they lost Cocino de Mino's Mario and Leticia opened Adobe Grill in Moore and now operate it at NW 50 and Shartel. Not too much Tex-Mex on their menu, but really good Mexican food, great service, and welcoming attitude that Leticia has always insisted upon. Her ranchera beans can't be topped.

.......We need to meet Mom's boyfriend .......
    What makes you think mom has a boyfriend???????

~~~

Thread Information