Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant memories .

Default Re: Restaurant memories .

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    There used to be a guy named Herman the German that went in there all the time Gambled on anything, I remember watching him play pool for 100.00 a game. I thought it must have been counterfiet (spell) money. (lots of money in the 60's
    I remember Herman! There was also lots of money changing hands at the Capitol Sports Center. $100.00 per game. At times that bowled sitting at the foul line, not sure the wager on that.

Remember the 5 balls per play pinball machines? 5 guys would put up five bucks each and see who could score the highest. One rule; can't use the flippers...

Wish I had that kind of cash today!!!

How about the Capitol Hill Domino Parlor on S. Robinson. Domino games of all types, snooker, pool and other games available. There was at least one bookie who would take bets on sporting events

Do any of you remember the old TG&Y Snack Bars????man, those Pizzas were tough;....literally....they had good Ice Cream but.....

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I just can't believe Truelove's is closed. That's an OKC institution. It also had many customers that were sent to Oklahoma Institutions....
    No doubt. Good place for a cheap date, too. I remember more than once going in there between checks and if it wasn't real busy on the tables, Chester saying ladies shoot free tonight. Must have been some high stakes dominoes going on behind the closed door.

I remember Herman! There was also lots of money changing hands at the Capitol Sports Center. $100.00 per game. At times that bowled sitting at the foul line, not sure the wager on that.

Remember the 5 balls per play pinball machines? 5 guys would put up five bucks each and see who could score the highest. One rule; can't use the flippers...

Wish I had that kind of cash today!!!

How about the Capitol Hill Domino Parlor on S. Robinson. Domino games of all types, snooker, pool and other games available. There was at least one bookie who would take bets on sporting events
    ================================================== =========
    Hey, what was the name of the Snooker Hall by the Criterion? Old Age has hit me on this one. I remember seeing "Minnesota Fats" there one night in about 1965.....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Do any of you remember the old TG&Y Snack Bars????man, those Pizzas were tough;....literally....they had good Ice Cream but.....
    Since I worked for T.G.&Y. at one time, I ate at the snack bars quite a bit. They weren't the best but, not the worst as far as snack bars go. Really all I remember is the ice cream.

Hey, what was the name of the Snooker Hall by the Criterion? Old Age has hit me on this one. I remember seeing "Minnesota Fats" there one night in about 1965.....
    Empire Room.

Prunepicker Guest

How about the Capitol Hill Domino Parlor on S. Robinson. Domino games of all
    types, snooker, pool and other games available.
    I liked to play snooker. I stunk at it but liked playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Empire Room.
    enjoyed going there (too frequent) late at night. Will never forget seeing Minnesota Fats....I told the guy that was racking the tables..."I wonder if that big guy can keep on running the tables on the others?...Duh...

enjoyed going there (too frequent) late at night. Will never forget seeing Minnesota Fats....I told the guy that was racking the tables..."I wonder if that big guy can keep on running the tables on the others?...Duh...
    Hey Gens64.... what happened to you buying me a cup of coffee this week to give me the inside scoop on my Sedona trip????

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I liked to play snooker. I stunk at it but liked playing it.
    Up until the mid-70's, snooker tables seemed to outnumber pool tables. There might be two in the place.

The pool tables were occupied by 3 and 9 ball shooters

Sheens had a great snack-bar!

Anyone ever eat at Huntley's on 24th and Robinson?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Restaurant memories

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    Hey Gens64... what happened to you buying me a cup of coffee this week to
    give me the inside scoop on my Sedona trip? ~~~
    Fergit Gens64. He thinks Sedona is a Chevy pickup.

Meet me at McDonald's for coffee. We'll use my senior discount and you'll
    only be out 50 cents, providing it's .25 a cup.

Sheens had a great snack-bar!

Anyone ever eat at Huntley's on 24th and Robinson?
    I had a business at 24th and Robinson are you talking about the se corner of 24 and Rob? How long ago?

I had a business at 24th and Robinson are you talking about the se corner of 24 and Rob? How long ago?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the place....when I was in highschool, there was a Muffler/mechanics shop there. The guy was as good as V&H but not as expensive....

That's the place....when I was in highschool, there was a Muffler/mechanics shop there. The guy was as good as V&H but not as expensive....
    Jack Randall Big Giant Muffler, He is the same guy that has Big Giant in Moore over on 12th!! He has an oil change center and muffler shop combination! I still use him!! I think his dad started it, Jack is in his his early seventie's. Had a lot of locations and even use to be next door to Jack's Steak House on S. Penn.....

That's the place..

I know it was around in the 1960's and early '70's

Was the muffler shop on the south west corner?

I know there was a auto shop there. We would go there and by decals for our bikes......

That's the place..

I know it was around in the 1960's and early '70's
    My shop was on the SW corner and it was the muffler shop. The cafe across the street change hands many times while i was there and got pretty nasty. I think it went hispanic like about everything else did down there.

My shop was on the SW corner and it was the muffler shop. The cafe across the street change hands many times while i was there and got pretty nasty. I think it went hispanic like about everything else did down there.
    That's the place. They had a couple of other places as well. That Rob location was open in 1973 because they bought an ad in our yearbook.

We would come to the muffler shop and get those "racy" women decals..

That's the place. They had a couple of other places as well. That Rob location was open in 1973 because they bought an ad in our yearbook.

We would come to the muffler shop and get those "racy" women decals..
    I moved into that location in 78, I never did any business with Randalls but allways heard good things. (I didn't do any "racy" women decals though)LOL

Eureka! I found it! Also going to post this on OKC memories. The Black Brick was at NW 27th & McKinley, the owner was Janey Crain. http://www.okctalk.com/members/jmgra...ney-crain.htmlhttp://www.okctalk.com/members/jmgra...ney-crain.html

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Eureka! I found it! Also going to post this on OKC memories. The Black Brick was at NW 27th & McKinley, the owner was Janey Crain. http://www.okctalk.com/members/jmgra...ney-crain.htmlhttp://www.okctalk.com/members/jmgra...ney-crain.html
    Hey:...you did good for a "silkie"....

Hey:...you did good for a "silkie"....

Thanks!

But never been called a "silkie" before. To us those were kids from NW Classen. JM had an FFA and too many kids from Britton and The Village. Yes, I went to Nichols Hills Elementary but I sure didn't live in Nichols Hills!

Not very PC of you to just lump me in with a group on account of my origins, rotfl, but I suppose it's to be expected from a "southsider" ;P

(Oops, I think I just committed a Pelosi, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Thanks!

But never been called a "silkie" before. To us those were kids from NW Classen. JM had an FFA and too many kids from Britton and The Village. Yes, I went to Nichols Hills Elementary but I sure didn't live in Nichols Hills!

Not very PC of you to just lump me in with a group on account of my origins, rotfl, but I suppose it's to be expected from a "southsider" ;P

(Oops, I think I just committed a Pelosi, lol)
    Hey, since you are part of this family now...we have to have someone to pick on...Realjimbo took it until you came along....Pelosi....Hmmm...you know I use to think life was tough on me until I found out there was a MR. Pelosi....Can you imagine?????

Hey, since you are part of this family now...we have to have someone to pick on...Realjimbo took it until you came along....Pelosi....Hmmm...you know I use to think life was tough on me until I found out there was a MR. Pelosi....Can you imagine?????
    I'd rather not

Thread Information