Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

1. Default Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

We're one city trying to move forward, and it simply tries to revive old fractions that aren't relevant in 2010. Ignore the thread and let it die.

Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

agreed, I almost replied to it today, and resisted.

Agree with Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    agreed, I almost replied to it today, and resisted.
    I did the same.

Not me.

I think it's great that we have distinctly different parts of the city.

I haven't looked at it. Is it one of those Taliban tribal warfare type situations where the people in one valley hate the people in the next valley for whatever reason so they just keep fighting the same war every day of every year?

6. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

yep

7. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

So Steve... ...do as I say, not as I do?

8. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

No. I'm ignoring it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    So Steve... ...do as I say, not as I do?
    Well, in fairness to Steve, he asked both sides to stop and when that didn't work he asked others not to join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    We're one city trying to move forward, and it simply tries to revive old fractions that aren't relevant in 2010. Ignore the thread and let it die.
    Not familiar with the thread so won't comment about the discussions there, but do you really think Southside/Northside is no longer relevant?

One only has to look at the voting results for MAPS (generally failed on Southside, projects were generally seen as being just for Northsiders...and downtown is Northside). MAPS for Kids (passed citywide but projects impacted entire City (every school either new or renovated and the new schools weren't just located North side). MAPS 3, failed on South side (some projects scattered but mainly seen as a Northside thing again.

11. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    MAPS 3, failed on South side (some projects scattered but mainly seen as a Northside thing again.
    If there is a MAPS 4 it SHOULD contain some significant projects for the south side. I would agree the vast majority of the money was spent on the north side.

Now that being said, what projects would one feel were needed on the south side that would be MAPS4-appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    If there is a MAPS 4 it SHOULD contain some significant projects for the south side. I would agree the vast majority of the money was spent on the north side.
    Now that being said, what projects would one feel were needed on the south side that would be MAPS4-appropriate?
    I totally disagree:

Bricktown Ballpark, Bricktown Canal, Ford Center, Fairgrounds Improvements, while technically are on the NW side, they are used by citizens from the North, South, East and West sides of OKC.

MAPS for Kids has, or is in the process of building or repairing every school in OKC, Schools located on the North side, West side, South side and East side.

As a southsider, I would like to see some main streets widened, something done with Crossroads Mall - whatever it may be, I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the money go to Bricktown/Downtown to be honest.

14. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I totally disagree:

Bricktown Ballpark, Bricktown Canal, Ford Center, Fairgrounds Improvements, while technically are on the NW side, they are used by citizens from the North, South, East and West sides of OKC.

MAPS for Kids has, or is in the process of building or repairing every school in OKC, Schools located on the North side, West side, South side and East side.
    Its splitting hairs. A much smaller amount of MAPS money has been spent south of the river. It would be nice to see some things done there to make it a more desireable area.

My question is, what would be MAPS4 worthy? What projects would people like to see done south of the river that would be realistic and legal?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post

The County Jail?

Just kidding - I don't havea dog in this fight but a multi-purpose race course would be nice.

Miller Motorsports Park | MMP Home

16. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

Hey, everything is on the table, keep 'em coming. How about some redevelopment projects?

Would like to see Crossroads turned into something....racetrack mentioned by Kerry would go good right there.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Would like to see Crossroads turned into something....racetrack mentioned by Kerry would go good right there.
    Agreed..

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    What I am thinking of would be far to big for the Crossroads site. However, Mt. Trashmore would make a great location and coud turn an eyesore into an economic development engine.

20. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

As a northsider I'd like to see some creative adaptive reuse of Crossroads as well. See? Southsiders and northsiders can share similar ambitions and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    As a northsider I'd like to see some creative adaptive reuse of Crossroads as well. See? Southsiders and northsiders can share similar ambitions and ideas.
    Amen..

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I totally disagree:

But how are those projects viewed (north or south)? Again, the point of my post was that one only has to look at the various MAPS election results:

MAPS. Barely passed w/54% overall (generally failed on Southside, projects were generally seen as being just for North siders...and downtown is Northside).

MAPS for Kids Passed by the widest margin because it was the most inclusive...projects impacted entire City (as you said too, every school either new or renovated and the new schools weren't just located North side).

MAPS 3 Barely passed w/54% overall, failed on South side (some projects scattered City wide but mainly seen as a North side thing again. The main projects (and by far the majority of the money) are heavily north of the River

"Exclusive" Northside Projects
    $130M Central Park
    $130M Downtown Streetcars
    $280M Convention Center
    $60M Fairgrounds (and the destruction of the State Fair Speedway which most likely had a fair share of fans south of the river).
    TOTAL: $600M or 77% (plus the Mixed projects)

"Exclusive" Southside projects
    TOTAL: Nothing or 0%

"Mixed" or scattered Citywide
    $50M Senior Aquatic Centers
    $35M River Improvements (presumably built on both sides of the River), but if North heavy, there you go again)
    $10M Sidewalks
    $40M Trails
    TOTAL: $135M (presume a 50/50 split, North/South)

Unknown
    $25M Kayaking facility (depends on which side of the River this ends up being on). For sake of argument, eliminate the Kayaking facility and what does that leave you with? Roughly a 9 to 1 spending ratio (with North side getting 90% of the funds).

If they want a MAPS 4 to pass, they are going to have to go back to the MAPS for Kids model where the entire City is impacted in a more equitable manner.

23. Default Re: Why you should ignore the Northside vs. Southside thread

Larry, you've posted that for the 500th time. Its over, move on. We already know that.

500th time? Really (part of the post was a repeat, but apparently RC missed it), just fleshed it out

I would like to see the street car extended south across the river to Capitol Hill. I think that it would greatly stimulate redevelopment in an area that has great potential. The "Northside Southside" stuff is in the mind. The Oklahoma Opry is actually closer to the Ford Center than Children's Hospital. Crossroads is closer to Bricktown than Penn Square. Which is closer to the proposed central park, The Village or Moore? The river is not the unbreachable physical barrier that many people on both sides of it treat it as.

Thread Information