Widgets Magazine

Thread: Petroleum Club opening Mexican restaurant for public

Default Petroleum Club opening Mexican restaurant for public

Petroleum Club opening Mexican restaurant
    By April Wilkerson
    The Journal Record
    Posted: 10:12 PM Wednesday, March 24, 2010
    OKLAHOMA CITY – Hot Tamale!

The Petroleum Club in downtown Oklahoma City is opening a Mexican restaurant for the public. Hot Tamale, which general manager Verej Jazirvar says he plans to open in the next two months, will cater to the lunch crowd with quick meals.

The restaurant will be in the concourse of the Chase Bank building, near the staircase going to the street, he said. The Petroleum Club’s existing deli that is open to the public will remain.

Jazirvar said the Petroleum Club noticed a lack of Mexican fare in the concourse area and decided to change that.

“We cook Mexican food for ourselves all the time, so we decided to share it with everybody,” he said. “We’ve also done some outside catering, so Mexican food is not new to us.”

Jazirvar said Hot Tamale will stand apart for its red and green chile sauces and tortilla and jalapeno soups. Also on the menu are salads, enchiladas, tacos and, in a nod to its name, tamales.

The space is being redecorated. The restaurant will have seating for 55 to 60 people, along with lunchtime orders to go.

On a sidenote, I wonder how this will effect the new quick-service Mexican restaurant that Paseo Grill owners are opening up in the Sante Fe parking garage between this building and the Skirvin. Seems like bad timing of this announcement/concept to me.

Default Re: Petroleum Club opening Mexican restaurant for public

Wow. Fifty years ago one bought tamales from a street vendor with a cart out in front of the bank. If we had been told that SOMEday you will buy them in the Petroleum Club we would have died laughing. My, how times have changed.

It's not really in the Petroleum Club, just catered by them. It's in the Underground, formerly known as the Conncourse.

4. Default Re: Petroleum Club opening Mexican restaurant for public

And really, it's in the sublevel of the Chase building, right where the Conncourse begins.

5. Default Re: Petroleum Club opening Mexican restaurant for public

I'm not excited...

Another place to nab a burrito is all well and good, but more good lasagna offerings would really make me smile.

Thread Information