Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Guys, we're getting Google Fiber.

Pete's original report is spot on; stop being let down by the "potential" label because that's merely a technical label in the process towards getting Fiber. Google has been exploring OKC for a while now and has pretty strong connections to OKC most people aren't aware of; the "potential" label just means they are in deep discussions with the city to figure out the permitting process and other technical details. Rest assured that unless something completely unexpected pops up (or Cox is able to buy some legislative votes to prohibit Google from coming here--a possibility I wouldn't count on given the strength of Google's government relations team), Fiber is coming.
    Unless someone can produce something that shows that a "Potential City" did not get chosen as an expansion city, I agree.

I think some of us are missing the forest for the trees on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Unless someone can produce something that shows that a "Potential City" did not get chosen as an expansion city, I agree.

I think some of us are missing the forest for the trees on this one.
    Right.

Just to emphasize again: we are getting Google Fiber. It's happening.

NewsOK and others can harp on the "exploring" and "taking a look at" terminology all they want because they don't know much about the topic. In this particular case, I just personally happen to know exactly what Google means when they say we are a potential city and that they are exploring us: it means we're getting it. Unless, of course, something insanely wild happens to derail it. Google didn't just pick OKC at random and think, yeah, let's explore there. They've already done a massive amount of work "exploring" us.

Annnnyway, Google Fiber is coming to OKC.

They've already met with City officials extensively and have never done 'exploration' without pursuing a roll-out.

They also don't fly people in and have press conferences without being pretty committed.

So, very, very cool news. Not really interested in all the other nonsense surrounding this announcement, and very excited for OKC -- both for the service and the feather in our cap that comes with this.

http://www.okc.gov/news/2015_10/Okla...Fiber_OKC.html

Oklahoma City to work with Google Fiber to explore bringing OKC residents ultra-high speed Internet access

(Oct. 28, 2015) - Today, Mayor Cornett announced that Oklahoma City will begin working with Google Fiber to explore the possibility of building a brand new superfast broadband network in the city.

“We’re very excited to be at this point in the process. We’ve had ongoing conversations with Google since 2012 and today we are moving forward with a game-changing opportunity to enhance broadband access in Oklahoma City – both in terms of speed and access, said Mayor Cornett.

“We’re also grateful for what could be a substantial investment Google will be making in Oklahoma City as we move forward.”

Improving broadband speeds and choice for residents has been a priority for Oklahoma City for years. Today’s average American broadband speed is 11.9 megabits per second. In contrast, Google Fiber could bring Oklahoma City residents access to Internet speeds up to 1,000 megabits per second—or up to 85 times faster than average speeds in America.

“This is about raising the standards in Oklahoma City and laying the foundations of economic development for our future. In today’s wired world, research, education, business and entertainment take place online. To be competitive in the world, we need to ensure we have access to high-speed, fiber-optic networks and that we get as many people online as possible.”

Jill Szuchmacher, Director of Expansion, Google Fiber said abundant high-speed Internet can help communities grow stronger, laying a foundation for innovation and economic growth.

“City leaders like Mayor Cornett have taken a big step to see what they can do to bring superfast fiber networks to residents and businesses,” Szuchmacher said. “We look forward to working side-by-side with Oklahoma City in the coming months to explore the possibility of bringing Google Fiber to Oklahoma City”

Consumer demand for faster Internet speeds is at an all-time high. Many of the things people love to do online — from gaming to streaming new movies — require a lot of bandwidth. Families want faster speeds at home to do what they love to do on the Web, without buffering or fighting over bandwidth during primetime. And fiber networks aren’t just about meeting today’s speed needs. This year the White House made faster Internet speeds a priority, citing the need to drive innovation, foster investment in new industries, and ensure that America is competitive in the global economy. The next leap in Internet speeds — to gigabit Internet — will lead to innovation that’s unimaginable today.

Starting this week, Google will work closely with Mayor Cornett and city leaders on a joint planning process to explore what it would take to build a brand new fiber-optic network capable of delivering these gigabit speeds throughout Oklahoma City. Google will begin compiling a detailed study of local factors that might affect construction plans. Simultaneously, Mayor Cornett and city leaders will begin meetings with Google to discuss what it would take to plan and prepare the city for a fiber project of this scale.

Google Fiber is an Internet and TV service that provides Internet connectivity up to 1 gigabit — 85 times faster than average speeds in America, along with hundreds of HD TV channels. Google Fiber is currently available in Kansas City, KS, Kansas City, MO, Provo, UT, and Austin, TX. Google Fiber in the process of expanding Google Fiber to six additional metro areas: Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, NC, Nashville, TN, Raleigh-Durham, NC, Salt Lake City UT, and San Antonio, TX. For more information about this announcement, visit the Google Fiber blog.

To get updates from Google Fiber about when the service might be available in your area, sign up here.

One of the things Google is gaining in their deployments to date is *experience*, dealing with local governments, local regulations, local pols, and then finding out how to streamline aspects of deployment. Don't forget Google has a data presence here in OKC, so I suspect they know a lot more about the infrastructure potential than any of us realize.

The details will be in figuring out where they lay their physical cable plant, and that means rights-of-way, permits, municipality access rules, covenants, buying land, all of which I strongly suspect they already have in hand to no small extent. There's just no way Google or OKC makes an announcement like this without a strong confidence it'll happen. It would just look too bad on either side for it *not* to happen.

Now, that said, given that gigabit ethernet was a *huge* get for the cities in the initial iteration, that first run was two or three years ago. Technology has already evolved, so other providers might be able to offer a comparable service - but the technical upside would seem an *overwhelming* technical advantage in Google's back pocket. Cox has a mostly-copper plant with some fiber backbone, as I understand it, but they're reaching the max on what they can do with copper. Where does Cox go from there? And what do they promise OKC when they go into discussions about renewing the franchise agreement next year?

I was at the press conference and the formal comments were very short.

Basically the major got up and introduced the rep from Google, said they had been working together for a while and that this step is another example of OKC's great growth and potential.

Then the Google rep basically said the same things and that they will need to work very closely with the City Manager (Jim Couch was there) because thousands of miles of fiber optic cable actually has to be laid all over town and that will require a lot of coordination with the City.

Was a nice little event but short and to the point.

7. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    One of the things Google is gaining in their deployments to date is *experience*, dealing with local governments, local regulations, local pols, and then finding out how to streamline aspects of deployment. Don't forget Google has a data presence here in OKC, so I suspect they know a lot more about the infrastructure potential than any of us realize.

The details will be in figuring out where they lay their physical cable plant, and that means rights-of-way, permits, municipality access rules, covenants, buying land, all of which I strongly suspect they already have in hand to no small extent. There's just no way Google or OKC makes an announcement like this without a strong confidence it'll happen. It would just look too bad on either side for it *not* to happen.

Now, that said, given that gigabit ethernet was a *huge* get for the cities in the initial iteration, that first run was two or three years ago. Technology has already evolved, so other providers might be able to offer a comparable service - but the technical upside would seem an *overwhelming* technical advantage in Google's back pocket. Cox has a mostly-copper plant with some fiber backbone, as I understand it, but they're reaching the max on what they can do with copper. Where does Cox go from there? And what do they promise OKC when they go into discussions about renewing the franchise agreement next year?
    I hope Cox starts upgrading infrastructure and competes. I want options. My options are Cox for speed or ATT which is hardly an option as DSL is far too slow for my household.

8. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Annnnyway, Google Fiber is coming to OKC.

They've already met with City officials extensively and have never done 'exploration' without pursuing a roll-out.

They also don't fly people in and have press conferences without being pretty committed.

So, very, very cool news. Not really interested in all the other nonsense surrounding this announcement, and very excited for OKC -- both for the service and the feather in our cap that comes with this.
    Pete, you are all class and I'm very proud to be a part of this community because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I hope Cox starts upgrading infrastructure and competes. I want options. My options are Cox for speed or ATT which is hardly an option as DSL is far too slow for my household.
    I agree with this.

DSL in this day and age has gone from a worthy competitor for cable access to basically a last resort if you can't get anything else. It's simply impossible for AT&T to compete using the copper POTS system and they don't care enough to upgrade their infrastructure to fiber-to-the-home like Verizon did in its FIOS markets.

10. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

AT&T has already started installing some Fiber. Right now it is just for businesses (we got it when we moved into our new office in Cotter Tower). Maybe this announcement will prompt them to start rolling it out for residential as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Pete, you are all class and I'm very proud to be a part of this community because of that.
    Thanks. When all this blowback started to happen a couple of years ago, I felt the strong need to defend myself, my reputation and OKCTalk. Now, I just let the work we do here speak for itself. Smart people can figure the rest out for themselves.

And it's just so awesome to be here and be able to stroll over and watch this announcement and meet Jim Couch in person and lots of other movers and shakers and be a part of this exciting announcement. Pretty easy just to focus on that, the beautiful day and a nice walk back to my place.

Oh, and had a fantastic lunch at the Museum Cafe! What a great spot and great food... Kind of gets forgotten about with all the new places, but it's a real gem.

12. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Their brunch is top notch.

The Briokc/TLO Twitter feed just got better! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    At least you HAVE an option. Tuttle has NOTHING. You get 1 choice depending on where you live. Where I live in Tuttle on my side of the street in a 10 year old neighborhood Im stuck with AT&T for phone (I use cell), and that is IT for land access. I can get a line of sight WISP antenna that maxes out at 6mbps even if it gets that far. Across the street is fiber from Pioneer that I cannot legally access. Even wrote the FCC, but they sent my complaint to a telco in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
    At least you HAVE an option. Tuttle has NOTHING. You get 1 choice depending on where you live. Where I live in Tuttle on my side of the street in a 10 year old neighborhood Im stuck with AT&T for phone (I use cell), and that is IT for land access. I can get a line of sight WISP antenna that maxes out at 6mbps even if it gets that far. Across the street is fiber from Pioneer that I cannot legally access. Even wrote the FCC, but they sent my complaint to a telco in Oregon.
    I had a WISP for a while when I was a teenager (lived out in the country) and it really sucked. It still beats HughesNet though.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Get everyone you know to fill this out.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/oklahomacity/
    done!!

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    If you've been paying attention, today's tweets are not an isolated incident, but part of a larger pattern. I'll just leave it at that.
    I could be way off base on this as I'm basing this on anecdotes and (worse) movie and TV depictions of press, but...

Is it possible that what we see on Twitter may be nothing more than the normal ribbing and verbal jousting one might have seen between journalists at a bar or other social spot in the pre-social media days? A not quite friendly rivalry resulting in these small digs and attacks at each other? A less fatal version of the fight scene between networks in Anchorman?

Of course, its all public now and the journalists we've only previously seen as Reporters are now revealed to be just people to everyone watching. I don't disagree that professionals should remain, well, professional on social media, but its possible this isn't as childish (or, at least, abnormal) than it may appear. If this makes sense.

Their updated expansion map...

Oklahoma City looks so, so pretty:

Default Re: How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

If sure like to have att or cox where I live. We don't have any options but wisps or satellite. I sure hope google gets to us.

Default Re: How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    If sure like to have att or cox where I live. We don't have any options but wisps or satellite. I sure hope google gets to us.
    How far out are you? I thought Cox was pretty consistent in its coverage of most of the populated regions of the metro. I know it gets spotty out towards Newcastle and Tuttle.

Default Re: Google Fiber

Cox is rolling out "gigablast" gigabit fiber service in some markets. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be moving freaky fast to compete. The standard introductory rate is $100/mo for gigabit.

I'm most interested to see google's television offering and future plans for 4K broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Their updated expansion map...

Oklahoma City looks so, so pretty:

But... but... I don't see Tulsa on that list.

I'll definitely be interested to see if they make it out here to areas like Eastern OK county.

Was in Kansas City two years ago and saw signs about Google Fiber. At the time I thought we were at least 5 years away from getting on Google's radar, so this is really awesome to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Right.

Just to emphasize again: we are getting Google Fiber. It's happening.

NewsOK and others can harp on the "exploring" and "taking a look at" terminology all they want because they don't know much about the topic. In this particular case, I just personally happen to know exactly what Google means when they say we are a potential city and that they are exploring us: it means we're getting it. Unless, of course, something insanely wild happens to derail it. Google didn't just pick OKC at random and think, yeah, let's explore there. They've already done a massive amount of work "exploring" us.

Just look at all the BS they had to deal with in Austin. I seriously doubt they will have any of those issues here, especially now that broadband is now a utility, which means the current pole owners must provide access.

Thread Information