Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

1. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Except that Google has potential cities all over the country. Fiber isn't "coming" to OKC. It's now on a list of possible cities.
    This is how it works. Installing a metro-wide fiber network is an incredibly complex and cost-intensive process. They weren't just going to wake up one day and say "hmm, let's launch in OKC next!" The other cities they've launched in started as "potential" as well.

2. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

3. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    This is how it works. Installing a metro-wide fiber network is an incredibly complex and cost-intensive process. They weren't just going to wake up one day and say "hmm, let's launch in OKC next!" The other cities they've launched in started as "potential" as well.
    Technically the first few had "dark" fiber already run in their cities so the rollout was faster.

4. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

This is exactly what I was saying.

Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    OKC is on the formal map of Google Fiber future cities. While it may not be as "AHA" as perhaps I might have hoped, it's a darned sight better than not being on the map at all.

There's a lot of infrastructure to be rolled out and built up, but so long as no overwhelming obstacles are seen, this is still great news.

I wonder if there are any aspects of this about which Cornett has to be cautious for perhaps political reasons. I think the Cox franchise agreement is up for renewal next year, and if nothing else this gives the City quite a bit of leverage as they discuss terms for a new agreement - and I'll bet it's the shortest one ever. I think the current one was 7 years (?) Not sure.
    It never made sense. There's no way we would have jumped all the cities that have had this same announcement a long time ago. Yes, being on the potential list is great. But, after the earlier reports, it's disappointing; but as I said, would not have made sense considering how we all know how the Google Fiber process works.. Pete probably will be hiding near a dark alley for his "source."

It IS good news. But, an hour ago, we all thought we were a Google Fiber city and it would be announced today according to the report. Give everybody a break, this is like we've got an NFL franchise versus "you're now on our official list." Yes, that would be exciting, but nothing like the former.
    I wonder if this would be a good thing to put on the MAPS 4 ballot, tell google we'll pay for half the infrastructure with MAPS 4 if you pay for the other half?

The free internet would increase in speed for paying for the infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNorman View Post
    For what it's worth, I still had the screenshot up from https://fiber.google.com/newcities/ before they added Oklahoma City, so I was able to compare potential cities. The three that were added within the last 15 minutes were OKC, Jacksonville and Tampa.
    I went to this site - hovered on OKC - clicked on 'Learn More'
    I then put my street number and zip code along with my email in their registration. This may be another venue for them to determine infrastructure locality ?

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    This news is huge. Even being a potential city means we are in the road to getting the service. Everyone already knows it takes years to install it all. Seeing people say this is a disappointment is a joke. How many other cities would have been glad to be listed as a potential city today. Is it a 100%sure thing? No, but for them to even announce us means that they already have a plan in place and just like potential cities before us, the service will come.
    Disappointment is a matter of expectations. When the news initially broke it led us to expect we were a shoe in. Don't get me wrong, this is still great news, but I'm not going to get that excited about something that could potentially happen 5-6 or more years from now. I'm sure it will happen, I really doubt Google would announce any cities that is wasn't firmly committed too.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Oh she burns him real good.

Newsok is always in a tough spot. They need to be first but they have to be spot on 100%. OKCtalk can get things 75% correct and no one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I went to this site - hovered on OKC - clicked on 'Learn More'
    I then put my street number and zip code along with my email in their registration. This may be another venue for them to determine infrastructure locality ?
    Yeah they are basically figuring out a few things.

What % of OKC took the time to fill out the form to request Fiber. If we meet their minimum %, it'll shift to which neighborhoods are the most excited about, and what neighborhoods are feasible to roll out to the easiest.

Except that Google has potential cities all over the country. Fiber isn't "coming" to OKC. It's now on a list of possible cities.
    There is 9 cities that have or are in the process of getting Google Fiber, then there are 9 more cities on the potential list, which we are one of those 9.

So what I am getting is.. Yukon will have it in the next 10 years..

There is 9 cities that have or are in the process of getting Google Fiber, then there are 9 more cities on the potential list, which we are one of those 9.
    Agree. Google wouldn't put OKC on its map if it wasn't seriously interested in providing service here. The fact that OKC got on the list this soon is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Oh she burns him real good.

Newsok is always in a tough spot. They need to be first but they have to be spot on 100%. OKCtalk can get things 75% correct and no one cares.
    I don't agree that she burned him. She cracked about LostOgle being "petty," then makes a fairly petty comment herself. Dumb way to take presumably the high road. Given NewsOK's situation differs from OKCTalk, but despite that, just don't reply. She got baited, and I think she looks the worse for it IMHO.

And it wouldn't have cost her one penny of credibility to indicate that other sources were reporting similar information. That's all it would have taken.

I completely understand how "traditional" news outlets have their own rules, but they abide those rules and sometimes social media burns them. And sometimes regular media burns social media. That's life in the so-called "digital age." Whining about it just doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Agree. Google wouldn't put OKC on its map if it wasn't seriously interested in providing service here.
    Nobody is saying differently. We all agree being on the potential list is great.

16. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

I don't agree that she burned him. She cracked about LostOgle being "petty," then makes a fairly petty comment herself. Dumb way to take presumably the high road. Given NewsOK's situation differs from OKCTalk, but despite that, just don't reply. She got baited, and I think she looks the worse for it IMHO.

And it wouldn't have cost her one penny of credibility to indicate that other sources were reporting similar information. That's all it would have taken.

I completely understand how "traditional" news outlets have their own rules, but they abide those rules and sometimes social media burns them. And sometimes regular media burns social media. That's life in the so-called "digital age." Whining about it just doesn't help.
    I would argue this site has more readability than that atrocious NewsOK site.

Also I thought The Oklahoman only did sports now?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I wonder if this would be a good thing to put on the MAPS 4 ballot, tell google we'll pay for half the infrastructure with MAPS 4 if you pay for the other half?

The free internet would increase in speed for paying for the infrastructure.
    This is a good idea, but when would tax collections begin & earn enough to pay for this? We aren't scheduled for another maps vote for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I would argue this site has more readability than that atrocious NewsOK site.

Also I thought The Oklahoman only did sports now?
    The lack of sports is why I dumped them.

Years ago.

19. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

The lack of sports is why I dumped them.

Years ago.
    Last time I looked it was all sports. So now what do they post? Just a coupon book?

I'll stop getting off topic now.

I am going to sign all my neighbors up on the Google Fiber interest page.

I submitted my address on their site. Everyone should do so to show them that there is legitimate interest here.

21. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Here's the official announcement from Google: Google Fiber Blog

22. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Here's the official announcement from Google: Google Fiber Blog
    ^^^ we're starting to see the impact that making the "Top Cities to..." lists has.

And from what I understand is that those 9 cities that have or are in the process of getting Google Fiber are the 9 cities that a year ago were put on the potential list. The the progression rate seems to be pretty high.

Been seeing the Cox commercials for their Gigablast internet for about a month now. They have a promotional price for TV + phone + internet for $135.00. Could be they heard the rumors about Google as well and were trying to get their word out first.

https://www.cox.com/residential/inte...giglife_vanity

It looks like Brianna Bailey is really wanting to pick a fight with OKCTalk.

https://twitter.com/briOKC

Thread Information