Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

Default Re: Google Fiber Grows Again

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Couldn't find the old thread we had on this, but Google has selected 9 markets to explore expanding into and is inviting up to 34 cities into the program

Google Fiber coming to a city near you - Feb. 19, 2014

I posted a link on this earlier. Wish OKC could go after Google and try to twist their arm to come here.

And don't you know that the idea of free, slightly slower internet scares the unadulterated crapola out of Cox?

They've got a cable monopoly, but I don't think they were ever given an Internet monopoly

Default Re: How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

There is buzz around that Google will announce tomorrow they are bringing their ultra-fast fiber optic internet service to OKC.

In Kansas City, you can get 1 gigabit (!) service for only $70 / month. You can basically stream anything with that capacity.

Default Re: How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

oh man... if that happens and if it comes to my neighborhood... it's 'adios' to cox for me. -M

Terrific news if true.

They offer their own TV service as well bundled with the internet.

It's similar to FIOS which I had in California, which I absolutely loved. And Google Fiber is supposed to be better.

Plus, all types of options for businesses.

Pretty sure there is going to be a press conference with the mayor tomorrow making the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    there is buzz around that google will announce tomorrow they are bringing their ultra-fast fiber optic internet service to okc.

In kansas city, you can get 1 gigabit (!) service for only $70 / month. You can basically stream anything with that capacity.
    yahooo!!!!

The next earthquake you feel will be Cox shaking in its boots as a huge crack in the base of its (near) monopoly is realized

This is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is buzz around that Google will announce tomorrow they are bringing their ultra-fast fiber optic internet service to OKC.

In Kansas City, you can get 1 gigabit (!) service for only $70 / month. You can basically stream anything with that capacity.
    Wow. That's what I currently pay for Cox. This might explain why Cox just announced a speed increase for the OKC area. Hopefully the Uptown/23rd area gets fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    yahooo!!!!
    no, not yahoo... google. : )

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    no, not yahoo... google. : )

-M
    RIM-SHOT award granted

There's obviously no way of knowing for sure exactly what kind of service Google might ultimately offer here in OKC, but here is a link to what they are offering right now in KC:

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kans...lan=gigabit-tv

A few highlights:

* Eight-program DVR,
    * HD content everywhere
    * NO DATA CAPS
    * First TV box (converter equivalent) free, additional for $5/month. Each box has a built-in WiFi access point. If you have two boxes from Cox, you're paying $17.00/month (2x$8.50), and the same thing from Google would be $5. You save $12/month before you ever start.

Looks to me like their TV lineup has everything I'd possibly want plus more. This is an incredibly great thing!!

Or, as I see on some forums, "Great thing is great."

Wooo! Look for Cox to drop prices and quickly.

They offer their own TV service as well bundled with the internet.

It's similar to FIOS which I had in California, which I absolutely loved. And Google Fiber is supposed to be better.

Plus, all types of options for businesses.

Pretty sure there is going to be a press conference with the mayor tomorrow making the announcement.
    Please be real please be real please be real

I have no idea how old this page is (and it may disappear until tomorrow if the rumors are true) but... there's a page up on the City's website about throwing OKC's hat in the ring for a Fiber expansion: http://www.okc.gov/google/thinking.html

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I have no idea how old this page is (and it may disappear until tomorrow if the rumors are true) but... there's a page up on the City's website about throwing OKC's hat in the ring for a Fiber expansion: http://www.okc.gov/google/thinking.html
    People are watching us!!! That page is already gone. Or at least I couldn't link to it. BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!

Yeah it's definitely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Yeah it's definitely gone.
    I pulled up some cached content from Google and it is basically some combined responses to a city questionnaire that was done about throwing OKC's hat in the ring for Google Fiber!!!

It was last scraped for Google's archives/caches on the 25th.

Awesome, and kind of annoying, I literally just signed up for service with Cox at my new condo.

Oh well, it's not like this is a service that will instantly appear the day of the announcement, and I do kind of need internet sooner rather than quite a bit later.

Here's the cached page if anyone wants to see it: City of Oklahoma City

Hearing there is a press conference scheduled for 1PM tomorrow.

Hearing there is a press conference scheduled for 1PM tomorrow.
    This has to be one of the largest announcements of the year. This could be such a disruptive force - can't wait.

This could be very very very big for the city.

Monopoly busting. One of my favorite things to observe.

This would be great news, but the build out will likely take at least a few years from announcement to operational network. Although it will have an pretty instant effect on AT&T and Cox, pushing prices down and speed/caps up. They also ran into a lot of issues in Austin getting access to poles owned by others because they only have to provide access to utilities and Fiber wasn't (although, I guess now High Speed Internet is a utility per the FCC). I also know they've been working on Atlanta for about two years now and there is still no service.

One thing they have also done, at least in the original cities, is they will not start building until X number of people sign up and pay an up front deposit. No idea if they are still doing this or not, though.

Another plus is they've had the same prices in KC since they first offered service, unlike Cox that raises their price $5 every year.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Awesome, and kind of annoying, I literally just signed up for service with Cox at my new condo.
    Cox is currently in the process of rolling out their own Gigabit service in OKC. It will be interesting to see how they price it going against Google.

It's bigger then just adding competition to a market. We're on googles radar now, along with any company that likes to do business with Google. Validates the city in a way, not too dissimilar the way the nba validated it.

Thread Information