Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    BTW - if you only counted OKCs urban area we would have a higher propulation density than Austin.
    2000 census

Austin UA - 901,920 people in 823.9 sq. mi. (2835.1 persons/sq. mi.)

Oklahoma City UA - 747,003 people in 834.9 sq. mi. (2317.4 persons/sq. mi.)

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest estimates (I don't see any updated land area data)

Austin urban area population - 1,037,229
    Austin, TX Urbanized Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Oklahoma City urban area population - 783,968
    Oklahoma City, OK Urbanized Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Logged onto Google err I mean Topeka this morning, and thought they were hinting at the chosen city. I then realize today is April Fools Day. They have an explanation on their site if you click a hyperlink. Pretty funny.

Even though it was a April Fools joke, I think that Google with choose Topeka, its obvious. OKC can forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio View Post
    2000 census

Oklahoma City, OK Urbanized Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008
    @Somino - thanks for the info. I was relying on Wikipedia as well, just a different page on Wikipedia.

@Metro - Good stuff Google, I mean Topeka. I just wish they had played the April Fools joke all the way through and made www.topeka.com a search tool.

MadMonk Guest

Maybe we could settle for this.
    Welcome to Google TiSP

6. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

yeah, we're screwed, we didn't even bust the 1000 user submitted applications mark.

7. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio View Post
    2000 census

This doesn't click with me, not that I am getting into the urban density argument. But how is it possible that we have a 1.2 million metropolitan area but only 800 thousand are in the urban area? I am beyond certain that there are not 400 thousand rural residents in the city area. Someone help me make sense of this, population numbers always intrigue and confuse me. It's obvious I don't understand. :P Also, people always speak of our dismal density, but this system seems to give a more accurate picture of our true density. Why not use it instead?

It all sounds about right to me (remember that the OKC metropolitan area is more than just the OKC City Limits proper, if not mistaken it also includes such far flung places as Shawnee). The link listed OKC as being 834.9 sm, but "(a)ccording to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 621.2 square miles..." The "urban" area numbers might be "just" the urban area within OKC. By "urban" what do they mean (i.e., downtown?). But then again, seems you would have to include the "urban" areas in those other communities as well.
    Last edited by Larry OKC; 04-04-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling

9. Default Re: OKC makes formal pitch for Google fiber network

The U.S. Census Bureau defines an urbanized area as: 'Core census block groups or blocks that have a population density of at least 1,000 people per square mile (386 per square kilometer) and surrounding census blocks that have an overall density of at least 500 people per square mile (193 per square kilometer).'

They are just a way to calculate contiguously developed urban area. While Guthrie, Piedmont, etc are a part of the OKC Metropolitan area, they are not part of the Urbanized area because there is not contiguously developed land connecting them.

Check out this PDF map (http://www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/ua_ok_oklahomacity.pdf) of the Oklahoma City "Urbanized Area" as it looked at the time of 2000 Census, when the Urbanized Area measurement was first created. It only follows Census tract boundaries, not municipal or county boundaries.

Shane, thanks for the info and hope it cleared things up for Architect2010 (know it helped me)...if I am reading you correctly the higher density areas of the surrounding communities that are included in the overall number are not part of the OKC "urban" numbers since there isn't an unbroken thread? if so, that would help explain the 400K in the "rural" areas?

Thanks Shane453 - that explination was a big help and the map in the PDF link looks a lot like what OKCs city limits should look like (if it was up to me).

12. Default Please vote for Oklahoma City for Google Fiber

Fiber Optics | Google Fiber : 1 Gbps High Speed Broadband Networks

Please vote and pass this on to your friends. I'd really like to see us win andget the Google Fiber. Our city deserves this.

Default Re: Please vote for Oklahoma City for Google Fiber

SoonerQueen, I couldn't agree more! Your efforts to try and motivate the angry pilgrims of OKC will be an uphill battle, as evidenced by our city's WHOPPING 61 VOTES as of the time of this post! PATHETIC! Come on people, just getting on that mile-long list is one thing. LOOK at the way NC and SC have pushed out the votes. IMPRESSIVE!

Well, I will do my part and forward this and follow-up with as many people as I can, TODAY!

I voted for OKC but obviously someone has figured out how to rig the numbers. There is no way a higher percentage of people in Greenville, SC have voted on the Google site than has completed the US Census.

"Every individual can cast a vote once per day. That is, you can keep supporting your city for all 30 days but not multiple times a day."

Don't cheat: Topeka "Google", KS cheated and now they are out of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    "Every individual can cast a vote once per day. That is, you can keep supporting your city for all 30 days but not multiple times a day."

Don't cheat: Topeka "Google", KS cheated and now they are out of the race.
    Any idea how they cheated?

Casting thousands of empty votes -- same people voting multiple times a day.

I'd like to amend what I said earlier - they got reset back to 0, not dropped from the race. My apologies.

Kind of already a thread about this:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...r-network.html

am I missing something here? This website has nothing to do with google at all, just an amateur blog about the project. The project is currently in the "planning behind closed doors" phase. The only real website that has info on the selection process, as far as I know, is...Google Fiber for Communities: Think big with a gig

I did vote for us though....

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    am I missing something here? This website has nothing to do with google at all, just an amateur blog about the project.
    This note is on the web site.

Note: This Open poll is not affiliated with Google and the entire activity is meant to keep the supporters engaged and excited about Google Fiber. However, we believe that audience participation in the poll clearly reflects the enthusiasm of participating communities towards Google Fiber.

Default How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

Ultra-fast Google Fiber seeks to expand in 9 metro areas, including San Jose - San Jose Mercury News

I read this, and realize that for expanding something like a high-speed fiber presence, it takes a whole constellation of things to line up...what would it take for OKC to go after Google in pursuit of this?

I recall some other discussion of something similar to this many months ago....while I lack the business acumen to figure out how you would go about creating a "pitch" for Google to consider OKC as another expansion market, I sure bet the creative folks in the business community could figure it out. My take is simply this - What is there to lose? The absolute worst they can do is say, "no," and we go on down the road.

In the midst of our downtown rebuild and in our effort to foster "out of the box" thinking (the kind of thinking that, as an example, got us the NBA), I'd have to think there's a credible angle to explore that would make this a good move. We're centrally located, decent if not overwhelming population density, reasonably tech savvy it seems, and certainly no lack of appetite for broadband. Would be a huge feather in the cap, I'd think.

Default Re: How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

This would be amazing. Like you, I don't have the business acumen for organizing this, but I'd be more than willing to help in any way I can if there's someone who can organize/run with this. I have worked in the tech sector in OKC for almost 20 years, so have some experience there that might be useful.

I think the pitch could be built around "emerging top cities" concept, and our creation of the "hi-tech triangle" (The fiber network between OKC, Tulsa, and Stillwater - Onenet).

Default Re: How might OKC pursue this: Google Fiber expanding in 9 metro areas...

Why wait for Google? Let's just build it ourselves as a public utility.

25. Default Google Fiber Grows Again

Couldn't find the old thread we had on this, but Google has selected 9 markets to explore expanding into and is inviting up to 34 cities into the program

Google Fiber coming to a city near you - Feb. 19, 2014

In Kansas City and Provo, the ultra-fast Internet service costs $70 a month. Add video and it bumps up the price to $120. Google is also offering slower, free Internet for at least seven years for a construction fee, which ranges between $30 and $300.

Thread Information