Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Council resolution to accept 5% paycut

Default Re: Council resolution to accept 5% paycut

The closest fire station to Gailladia is set to be closed as part of the budget cuts. I wonder if any of the ultra rich are concerned with the loss of their neighborhood fire station? That station also has a paramedic engine company, so the closest advanced life support will also be gone. I was just wondering!

Steve, you finally showed up! You're the hard hitting journalist of the site; was the Mayor lying to us when he was lobbying for Maps 3 touting that it would actually allow for more police and fire protection? Say it isn't so.....And no one from the council disagreed with him, including the CM. Wondered what happened between then and now! Surely someone like you could get to the bottom of this.

3. Default Re: Council resolution to accept 5% paycut

Let's see ... as I recall from the campaign ads, the mayor said that passage of MAPS 3 would put more police and firefighters out on the streets. He said this even though the council had not voted on any such offer to dedicate the MAPS 3 use tax to do so.
    But barnold, remember, I wasn't included on coverage of the campaign. But I can repeat the facts as well as anybody else.

Steve, What does the mayor on TV telling the people something mean? Everybody wants to talk about the council not having voted on something like that means anything. The mayor of a large city was trying to get this mammoth tax passed and used the promise of increased public safety to help get it done. Now you tell me, wether or not he had council approval, he made promises to get the votes. Is this a case of ooops I made a mistake or he manipulated people?

I can promise you when they lay off Police and Firefighters, his words will be playing all over the place. You know it's on youtube, right?

The truth about Maps3 According Mayor Cornett-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrTGap3vQ8

5. Default Re: Council resolution to accept 5% paycut

So it seems like you could make your case pretty effectively by posting the You Tube link here at www.okctalk.com. So if you feel that an elected official purposely misled residents, what are you prepared to do? Have you checked the charter to see what your options are?

Steve, If you think we are sitting around waiting, were not. We have several people working on our situation.

I can fall back on my training. I was told that I was an Oklahoma City Firefighter 24 hours a day. I was told to act accordingly because I was a representative of the city and I was not to do anything that would bring shame or embarrass the city. I would expect the same from anyone connected with the city.

Steve, what is frustrating is the spin that the overall media put on the Maps 3. I know you weren't specifically charged with covering the vote, but your fellow journalists and media outlets downplayed what the members of the police and fire were stating all along that Essential Services were already hurting and a focus should be made on those items before a Fluff tax for the Maps 3....

8. Default Re: Council resolution to accept 5% paycut

"A yes vote puts more police and fire jobs out on the streets"
    I'll be as interested as anybody to hear how this is addressed. So now here's the question, with this in mind, and I'm not taking sides here, does this cause some to question the mayor's other promises relating to MAPS 3?
    - He has promised a fair and open selection process for a convention center.
    - He has promised the projects on the council resolution on MAPS 3 will be built as listed.
    - He has promised the MAPS 3 oversight board will be given independence to review and make recommendations relating to the projects.

I would say let's take one broken promise (aka. lie) at a time. Then see if he can save face and come thru with the other items you've listed. With all the money Maps 3 is touted to bring in these should be trivial items to overcome. I would like to at least have one straight answer at a time from the council, mayor and staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'll be as interested as anybody to hear how this is addressed. So now here's the question, with this in mind, and I'm not taking sides here, does this cause some to question the mayor's other promises relating to MAPS 3?
    - He has promised the projects on the council resolution on MAPS 3 will be built as listed.
    - He has promised the MAPS 3 oversight board will be given independence to review and make recommendations relating to the projects.
    I guess when he said there would be more P & F on the streets he wasn't talking about for more protection, he was talking about more unemployed workers on the street.

In June of 1998 the City promised the Citizens that within 5 years that each and everyone of them would be provided a higher level of emergency medicine should they become injured or ill. The promise has not been kept, and all we have to show for it is 13 worn-out Ladder Trucks.

To be fair Andy only six of them are worn out and out of service. We have 1 new one ordered and have let bids for a couple of barely used 1 owners. We did buy one of those already with great success. It's the purple one with white and blue stripes located at station 9. Administration is working hard to correct years of inattention. Kudos to them!

Steve, you are getting dangerously close to making someone explain themselves!

I'll ask the same question here that I asked in another thread. How does a two term mayor, who is running for his third term, not know that he doesn't have the authority to make these promises? Or did he know and just lie about it. To read the stories after the elections you'd think he was some sort of political genius. That leads me to think he knew better.

You know the people who can ask these questions and get answers a whole lot better than the rest of us. Please find out why these questions aren't being asked.

Steve, Wambo makes a good point. If it's not on Fox25 or being discussed here it not going to be heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    I'll ask the same question here that I asked in another thread. How does a two term mayor, who is running for his third term, not know that he doesn't have the authority to make these promises? Or did he know and just lie about it. To read the stories after the elections you'd think he was some sort of political genius. That leads me to think he knew better.

You know the people who can ask these questions and get answers a whole lot better than the rest of us. Please find out why these questions aren't being asked.
    Better yet, why did those Council members who later objected to the Mayor's Use Tax promise remain SILENT about it during the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Better yet, why did those Council members who later objected to the Mayor's Use Tax promise remain SILENT about it during the campaign?
    Very good question. Like Mike said, unless Fox25 presses for the answer, I'm afraid we'll never get to know.

Exactly when and were will this be addressed? I hate to tell you this Steve, but until the media starts asking some questions, it'll never be addressed.

Someone could show up at every council meeting from now to hell freezes over asking these questions in that forum. You know what they'll get in the long run? Instead of answers, they'll get to be branded as the next looney tunes citizen activist who won't just sit down and shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    Exactly when and were will this be addressed? I hate to tell you this Steve, but until the media starts asking some questions, it'll never be addressed.

Someone could show up at every council meeting from now to hell freezes over asking these questions in that forum. You know what they'll get in the long run? Instead of answers, they'll get to be branded as the next looney tunes citizen activist who won't just sit down and shut up.
    I agree with Mike and Wambo, if the media and the citizens start asking the right questions, the Mayor, the city manager as well as the council will have to attempt to explain themselves. There are many of us on this site that know the answers already, but I personally want these elected officials to answer these questions publicly, and not in a bunch of pre-scripted bs tv ads or newspaper quotes that they can hide behind.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBTHEBUILDER View Post
    I agree with Mike and Wambo, if the media and the citizens start asking the right questions, the Mayor, the city manager as well as the council will have to attempt to explain themselves. There are many of us on this site that know the answers already, but I personally want these elected officials to answer these questions publicly, and not in a bunch of pre-scripted bs tv ads or newspaper quotes that they can hide behind.

We want to know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
    No more lies, no more deception.

It still looks like they are up to their old tricks of overcharging the PSST for items for fire and police, purchasing the items for the going rate and funneling the overcharge back to the general fund. That is how the city gets their hands on the PSST money that is supposed to be earmarked for public safety.

20. Default Re: Council resolution to accept 5% paycut

Wambo, the reporter you need to question on this matter is the City Hall beat reporter, Bryan Dean.

Has the use tax been spent yet? Has it even been collected yet? Is there an announced location of where that money is going? If MAPS 3 hadn't passed would more firefighters and police officers be put on the streets? Is MAPS 3 completed and all of a sudden "lies" are being discovered?

Everyone else seems to be asking questions so I decided I would throw some out too...and just like everyone else...I'm not choosing sides...just asking questions here.

BTW I woke up to this Facebook message this morning, " 'A yes vote for maps will put more police and fire on the streets' Your dad is a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yup, 28 exclamation points. 3 or 4 would have been good enough. So many accusations and no proof of anything...because collecting has only been going on for 13 days of the 2830 days total allotted. The budget cuts had nothing to do with Maps 3. Project 180 has nothing to do with Maps 3. Start pointing the finger at where it needs to be, the recession the entire globe is feeling...police and fire unions just happen to have a "Maps3" to blame it on.

Casey, I am sorry that happened. I'm sure you know that job takes big shoes and broad shoulders to do. Just words, don't let it bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    The budget cuts had nothing to do with Maps 3. Project 180 has nothing to do with Maps 3. Start pointing the finger at where it needs to be, the recession the entire globe is feeling...police and fire unions just happen to have a "Maps3" to blame it on.
    See the see spot run version from earlier post.

No, maps3 had nothing to do with police or fire budget. But with a known issue, known shortage, all the public service was asking is why Maps3, we need other things first, why cant we help public services first?

Dont take anything personally. Your last name could be Cornett, Bush, Palin and not even related to them and the moonbats will STILL attack you, like you had something to do with it.

Casey, sorry that someone felt the need to blast you on facebook. Perhaps you shouldn't read these "opinion" posts if it troubles you. I promise any !!! will be kept to a min.

IMO- The Mayor floated the MAPS 3 vote on the backs of FF and PO by going on TV every half hour during the final days of the election and saying "A vote for Maps 3 will increase your fire and police protection". There is not one shred of written documentation that dedicates the use tax or any other funds toward this goal. Thus, the discussion of layoffs and cuts.
    WOW!!! Go back and read the posts from the pre-maps elections. Many people have been trying to get that word out that OKC is not "recession proof" as touted in the magazines and we need to tighten the purse strings for a little while. Not buy champagne and caviar in hopes that the Great Gatsby will throw his next party in OKC.
    Ask Dear Old Dad at the next sunday dinner why the city didn't accept the firefighters offer to give back the 1.4 % raise awarded by the arbitrator and roll over the contract last year? It has been offered back to them 3 times now. It was what the city asked for in the first place and now they don't want it? They would much rather drag it out in court.

Let me start by saying that your dad seems to be a likeable person. But, that doesn't change what I see as some basic facts.

If MAPS 3 hadn't passed would more firefighters and police officers be put on the streets?
    This has nothing to do with what your dad said. What the future holds is anybodys guess. Let's deal with what we know at this moment. What seems certain is that MAPS 3 passed and we're preparing to close firestations and layoff manpower in both the police and fire departments. That runs completely contrary to what the mayor said in those commercials.

BTW I woke up to this Facebook message this morning, " 'A yes vote for maps will put more police and fire on the streets' Your dad is a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Who ever sent you this is a classless buffoon. I don't think anyone here condones it.

So many accusations and no proof of anything...because collecting has only been going on for 13 days of the 2830 days total allotted.
    The proof is that the council has already told your father that he made those promises, not them. You need to go back and watch the council meeting where the mayor says "We need to discuss using the use tax to hire more public safety employees". When asked why, he says "Because that's what we promised." He is then informed by councilman White that "You made those promises, not this council". He is also informed that maybe the chamber of commerce would like to help him keep those promises.
    So this leaves us with two possible scenarios. (A) He honestly,after two terms in office, had no idea he needed the councils approval to make these promises, or (B) he knew he needed the councils approval and made the statements anyway, without regard for their truthfulness, to further his agenda. Either way he doesn't come out looking so good.

The budget cuts had nothing to do with Maps 3.
    The mayor is the one who tied MAPS3 to saving manpower. Nobody else. Does he regret now that he made those statements? I have to guess he probably does.

Start pointing the finger at where it needs to be, the recession the entire globe is feeling...police and fire unions just happen to have a "Maps3" to blame it on.
    I'm pretty sure that's the point that police and fire were trying to make. That with the looming budget crunch, maybe it was the wrong time to tie up tax dollars in this way.
    We're not blaming it on MAPS3. The budget director says he made the mayor, city manager and city council aware of the coming problems many months before the election, almost a year, and they either ignored his warnings or tried to keep them quiet until after the election.

Thread Information