Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Default What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Anyone know why the sudden changes in radio stations in the metro area? 94.7 went from alternative rock to another version of the KATT and now it's switched again to classic rock just like 107.7. And now 97.3 JACK fm has gone country. What's going on? Two okay stations now gone crappy.

Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

I'm asking the same question, why is King Country moving to 97.3 with only 1,000 watts of power from 93.3 with 100,000 of power, maybe something new is going in at 93.3 maybe finally a news/talk station on the FM.

I believe the 97.3 format will be more of a classic country while KKNG 93.3 will be more modern stuff like the other 2 play

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie40 View Post
    I believe the 97.3 format will be more of a classic country while KKNG 93.3 will be more modern stuff like the other 2 play
    Now that will be great, but I don't understand why we need a another classic country station here, we already have KXY, their playing classic country more and more.

The real question is why are you still listening to the crap that passes for music on our local stations? Satellite radio, Podcasts, mp3s, and Internet radio on your phone are calling your name.

Lord Helmet Guest

The only radio worth listening to in OKC is The Spy. Everything else is utter crap.

Listen to the Tom Petty CD that he put out about five years ago called The Last DJ.
    It answers a lot about the direction radio is going.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    The real question is why are you still listening to the crap that passes for music on our local stations? Satellite radio, Podcasts, mp3s, and Internet radio on your phone are calling your name.
    For your imformation dismayed, some of us like me, can't afford Satellite radio or internet radio, I work 2 jobs to try to put food on the table, and a roof over my head and pay my bills, by the time all that's done, I have very little left, that's the way it is, but I do have a mp3 player I got a year ago, and I get tired of listen to it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    The only radio worth listening to in OKC is The Spy. Everything else is utter crap.

I love the Spy....when I can hear it through the static. What's up with their poor broadcast quality?

10. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

First, a definition:

"The 60 dBu level is recognized as the area in which a reliable signal can be received using an ordinary radio receiver and antenna."

Now look at the Spy's 60-dBu contour:

FM and TV Service Area Maps

Great, another station I will not listen to. Looks like I am down to 94.7, 96.9, and 107.7. Occasionally 100.5 if something worth listening to happens to get on.

Edit: Jack appears to be shut down, website not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    i agree 150%

I actually like radio. Most times the commercials are annoying but sometimes I like the variety of sounds.....not just all music all the time. Sometimes talking is nice, other times it's all I want so I tune into NPR....however many times it's just annoying and then I turn on the ipod.

14. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

I kind of liked Jack FM and I'm sad to see it replaced with more freaking country. As if we need more of that around here...

15. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

i dont mean to sound like a broken record since ive mentioned this time and again. but satellite is the way to go. parkman mentioned the affordability. i understand, but they do have an a la carte package, which i have, and i pay about $8.25 a month. you get to pick 50 channels of your choice, and i tell ya i dont even listen to all of those!

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    First, a definition:

"The 60 dBu level is recognized as the area in which a reliable signal can be received using an ordinary radio receiver and antenna."

Now look at the Spy's 60-dBu contour:

FM and TV Service Area Maps
    Wow...I had no idea it was centered by Okarche. I always thought it was in OKC. That explains that. Thank you.

Hopefully the Spy can find a way to either get a better signal or location so it can reach more listeners.

I will be really suprised if 93.3 becomes another country station. If you remember, 93.3 was a classic country station when it first went on the air. They constantly ran in last place until they added new songs to the format.

I take that back..... I just looked at the website and it looks as if they may be returning to the old country songs on KKNG.

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    i agree 150%
    People in OKC have no idea how lucky they are to have a station like The Spy. I recently moved away and we have nothing remotely as cool on local radio here. Thankfully I can stream it on my iPhone in the car.

After reading your posts, I thought it might be that we've become a PPM market, but we're still a diary market. PPM data will allow decision makers to get better data, more frequently so we'll probably see a lot of changes in radio in the coming years. I think OKC is on the expansion list for coming off diary and going to PPM this year.

Radio Stations - Home

Radio execs could care two sh*ts about us. A lot of people are still bitter about the 94.7 format change.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjg24 View Post
    Radio execs could care two sh*ts about us. A lot of people are still bitter about the 94.7 format change.
    How could somebody be bitter about repetitive crybaby glamour rock?

Formats change in radio, you get to listen for free so get over it and change the station, plug in your ipod/mp3 or put in a CD.

I just turn on 93.3, and it is now known as Jake Fm, playing new country, well we had have three stations flip formats, wonder who will be next.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    I just turn on 93.3, and it is now known as Jake Fm, playing new country, well we had have three stations flip formats, wonder who will be next.
    First a station does not "flip" formats. They CHANGE formats. Second. It could be they may not be ready for oldies yet.

As of this post, I have not heard. Regardless of their slogan, what are the call letters?

24. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    First a station does not "flip" formats. They CHANGE formats. Second. It could be they may not be ready for oldies yet.

As of this post, I have not heard. Regardless of their slogan, what are the call letters?
    I worked in broadcasting for 25 years. We talked many times of stations "flipping" to this or that format, so theparkman is not off base. That's a bit picky even if he were wrong.

It's now New Country at 93.3 and Classic Country at 97.3. Both still locally owned by Tyler Media (Ralph Tyler). That, in itself, is a miracle in this day and age. Radio has become dominated by very few huge corporations that have systematically destroyed radio in the process.

25. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

97.3 has a pretty rough signal and from what I understand a power upgrade is not in its future so the impact on the maket will be minimal at best.

Chris
    Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music!

Thread Information