Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Farmers market district

Default Re: Farmers market district

It's one building I'm not going to miss. Those buildings are beyond dilapidated and gross.

Not exactly a gem:

Oh. I wasn't fully aware of that building.... The article described it as a brick warehouse so I was picturing something quite different...

I think the article has the address wrong (1307 SW 2nd). That is the building pictured above.

I believe this is actually the brick building that will be coming down at 1310 W. Reno, which is pretty cool and had a lot of potential:

That would definitely seem to fit the description... and that's an absolute shame. Is there anything that can be done? Especially considering that the owner specifically neglected the building to force the city's hand. I mean, aside from knocking the building down, does he have future plans for the property? Because I could understand a higher and better use, but if it's just going to be an empty lot...

Loaded Bowl (2nd photo) and other businesses making good progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think the article has the address wrong (1307 SW 2nd). That is the building pictured above.

I believe this is actually the brick building that will be coming down at 1310 W. Reno, which is pretty cool and had a lot of potential:

They're still making bricks last I checked!

And no one will have to repurpose a loading dock...which pretty much has one 4 foot tall purpose no matter how hard you try.

9. Default Re: Farmers market district

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    They're still making bricks last I checked!

And no one will have to repurpose a loading dock...which pretty much has one 4 foot tall purpose no matter how hard you try.
    Is this the one purpose you're referring to?

11. Default Re: Farmers market district

I will be set up at OKCtoberfest this Saturday selling all the merch. Stop by and say hello!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7177.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	847.3 KB 
ID:	13105 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4851.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	531.4 KB 
ID:	13106

Loaded Bowl very close to opening:

Loaded Bowl is open. Went there for lunch and it is deeeeeeelish.

Default Re: Farmer's Market

Trio of businesses sowing seeds in Farmers Market District

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record December 12, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Live music events, a food truck park, and a wedding venue are a few of the attractions in the Farmers Market District. And three business owners have banded together in an effort to take advantage of that, sharing retail space they’re calling the Silo.

The Okay See, JL Woodworx, and Brandon Snider Photography are taking 3,000 square feet at the Silo, 1205 SW Second St. in the Tomato House building. It will open before the year’s end.

Brandon Snider and The Okay See are leaving another developing district, Film Row. The Okay See co-owner Blake Behrens said the new space is twice the size of their existing spot, and it comes with storefront windows.

The Okay See sells screen-printed T-shirts, inspired by Oklahoma, and also does commercial screen-printing.

“There’s a freshness to the Farmers Market District that we are drawn to,” he said.

Behrens and his business partner, Kyle Simmons, are regulars at pop-up events around the city, such as Industry Flea in Midtown. Behrens said the shirts sell best when people are able to see them. Their space is in The Paramount Building’s north side, off Sheridan Avenue. It only has a side door and no storefront windows.

“We’re trying to get to where there’s a thriving area of easily walkable space,” he said. “Everything is in half a block of each other.”

Snider said not only will the district’s foot traffic help his business, but being in the same space as The Okay See and JL Woodworx will benefit him as well. He’s been in The Paramount building for seven years.

“Everything’s always better when you have multiple things,” he said. “People come to the store and they will have more choices. The Farmers Market is an up-and-coming place.”

Snider sells prints of downtown Oklahoma City and other Oklahoma sites. He also does commercial work such as architecture photos.

JL Woodworx will have its first retail space. Jay and Christina Long are working in their garage now and take their items to local stores. The company does custom cabinet work as well.

Christina Long said having their own retail shop has been a dream since they opened. And Jay Long will get to work alongside his high school friends, Behrens and Simmons.

Christina Long said the business’s growth has been by word-of-mouth, and with the new place, people can easily find them.

“The work will be inside the space, but at the back,” she said. “People will see us working and we’ll be in a climate-controlled area, which will be a nice change.”

Urban Agrarian announced on FB they will soon be closing their doors.

Big loss for the district but hopes something interesting takes their space, as it has lots of potential.

whaaat. that totally stinks... really liked that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Urban Agrarian announced on FB they will soon be closing their doors.

Big loss for the district but hopes something interesting takes their space, as it has lots of potential.
    hmmm... are you sure about this? I wasn't able to locate that post on facebook or twitter... looks like they're trying to get into web ordering but didn't see anything about closing the brick & mortar.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    hmmm... are you sure about this? I wasn't able to locate that post on facebook or twitter... looks like they're trying to get into web ordering but didn't see anything about closing the brick & mortar.
    There's an article by Dave Cathey on NewsOK.com about this closing. Sad stuff.

interesting... just read the article but can't find the letter it references. however, there's a post on the 6th discussing a kickstarter campaign. i wonder if they're now trying to figure out a way to avoid closing?

20. Default Re: Farmers market district

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    interesting... just read the article but can't find the letter it references. however, there's a post on the 6th discussing a kickstarter campaign. i wonder if they're now trying to figure out a way to avoid closing?
    https://www.facebook.com/matthew.r.burch?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    ahh... thanks. was looking at ua's page. it doesn't look like their kickstarter is going to make its goal... i wonder if that factored into the decision.

Blog Entries

Farmers Market Re: Farmers market district

OKC Farmers Market
    311 S. Klein Ave., Oklahoma City Downtown OKC
    (405) 486-0701

Home - OKC Farmers Pubic Market: https://okcfarmersmarket.com/

Oklahoma Gazette: https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/o...nt?oid=6684670
    Oklahoman: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx

Oklahoma City - Farmers Public Market opened on June 16, 1928, on what had been the site of Delmar Gardens Amusement Park. The market, a two-story, 40,000-square foot mix of Spanish architecture with terracotta ornamentation, was built by John J. Harden in response to farmers selling their produce on downtown streets. The first floor was used by farmers selling produce, while the second floor hosted concerts, dances, boxing matches and roller-skating.

Before the start of its slow demise in the 1970s, the market also housed a grocery, meat market, candy store, bakery, cafe and a drug store. Legends like Hank Williams Sr., Count Basie and Bob Willis played in the secondfloor auditorium.

Once the OSU-OKC market closes, Farmers Public Market will be home to more than 40 vendors.

“Come March, we will not have a vacant spot,” McAnally said.

Burch, who opened Urban Agrarian in 2012, said OSUOKC’s actions are a bonanza for the Farmers Market district.

The changes coincide with traffic lights being added to the Klein Avenue and Oklahoma City Boulevard intersection and a change of Klein from one-way to two-way traffic next month, providing the landmark its best access and visibility in decades...

...The market inside the building shut down in the 1970s and was replaced with an antique mall, though farmers still operated permanent stands surrounding the main building. The farmers stands continued to operate through the 1990s, but they virtually disappeared when the OSU-OKC market opened in 1996...

...“The market was a feather in their cap at OSU for almost 30 years,” Burch said. “They were so proud of this. There will be public relations and some aspects of being downtown that might be good. But buying groceries and parking downtown, that’s not what everyone wants.”--Excerpts from the Oklahoman, Steve Lackmeyer - Business, February 2, 2020

Will life to the Farmers Public Market area ever return to this historic city venue?

I know that I (and other people) have already mentioned this in the Boulevard thread, but the absolutely asinine planning of the Boulevard/Western/Classen area has killed any momentum this district had for the foreseeable future.

I do think the area bounded by SW 3rd, Western, I-40, and Exchange is an interesting possibility for the MAPS soccer stadium, and possibly cheaper than the Producers Coop location depending on who owns that land. Would also give people a reason to go to this district 15-20 times per year, and good highway access as well.

I found this to be an interesting read on the closing of the OSU market and the non input given to the vendors on the move to Scissortail Park. Federal grant money and how the decision was made begs for further follow up.

Farmers, customers dislocated by OSU-OKC are choosing Farmers Public Market over Scissortail Park
    https://oklahoman.com/article/565381...issortail-park

The new vendors at the Farmers Public Market are a great addition to the ones they already have! Also looks as if Palo Santo is close to opening in the strip next to the Loaded Bowl.

Thread Information