Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Farmers market district

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Farmer's Market

Well that's a bummer for that fantastic corner. But hey at least it looks like it will be the nicest gas station in the area - which pretty much guarantees that the blue VP Fuel or whatever at Classen and Sheridan will close down, which opens that land up for better use.

EDIT: Also the Conoco across the street will probably close.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure this supplants the conoco.

Jesus man how hard is it to put the parking behind the store? That’s all they have to do in this situation to make a much more urban feel why is that so hard to do. OKC needs to impose an ordinance to require parking to either be structured or place behind the building and mandate a front entrance in this case it should be at the corner.

^

You would also have to put the pumps behind the store and then make the north side the entrance, making the streetside the back of the store.

What you describe makes zero sense for a gas/convenience store.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

You would also have to put the pumps behind the store and then make the north side the entrance, making the streetside the back of the store.

What you describe makes zero sense for a gas/convenience store.
    Conceivably you could put the store on the corner with the pumps on the side and around the back to make it more of an urban design...which would look nicer though I doubt 7-11 does that very often.

I didn’t realize it had pumps I just figured a 7 eleven doesn’t usually serve gas around Hollywood but everywhere else it does. Ooff.

At any rate I figure it could still be done but even in downtown LA and SF they build them like this. I just didn’t see the pumps at first.

The pumps are clearly shown on the site plan I posted above.

In the site plan but not the rendering. As I said there are no 7 elevens around me that have gas pumps which is why I saw that and made the assumption there wouldn’t be any gas pumps. I’m glad downtown is getting another gas station though.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    In the site plan but not the rendering. As I said there are no 7 elevens around me that have gas pumps which is why I saw that and made the assumption there wouldn’t be any gas pumps. I’m glad downtown is getting another gas station though.
    It's pretty much completely opposite here - very few 7-Elevens *don't* have gas pumps. NW 36th/Penn, NW 59th/May, and maybe a few others that are old and in residential neighborhoods instead of on a main thoroughfare.

Blog Entries

What are the odds they have insight to the future soccer stadium location?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    What are the odds they have insight to the future soccer stadium location?
    The committee hasn't even started to meet and the stadium is at the tail end of the MAPS 4 timeline.

I doubt this move is in any way related.

I suppose it could create an issue with the trucks that have to refuel the gas. Personally I’ve never seen a fuel station with the pumps behind it but I’m sure they exist somewhere.

It would be nice to see that petrol station across the street redeveloped into a flat iron building and Exchange tied into Reno and western via a new roundabout.

Well, I suppose something had to be built on this corner eventually and with the plot backing up to the boulevard overpass a gas station is better than nothing. It will be interesting to see what can be done to make the bike lanes running through this area (along the west side of N. Western Ave.) safe. I was already skeptical about safety and having a bike lane cross W. Reno Ave. at Western and that was before a busy gas station was planned. You can see that the work on the off-street trail south of Reno and east of Exchange Ave. is progressing from Pete's aerial shot. They've also made progress building a short off-street trail from the southern terminus of Western just north of the Boulevard to the underpass. Finally, the sidewalks and (hopefully) the pedestrian signals at S. Klein, Exchange, and SW 3 having been getting a rebuild over the past couple of weeks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Farmers market district

I'm very happy about this. I love that area.

Yes, that area is super cool and there is so much potential which is just starting to be realized.

Good group of people involved in all of this as well.

19. Default Re: Farmers market district

I've tried to steer two different BBQ cooks, looking to open brick and mortar locations, down there and they've ran into issues with some of the property owners in the area. Maybe that will change now... I think it would be an awesome location for a Q-raunt and still hope someone can get something located in that area.

There are still several property owners that won't sell, lease or do anything with some key properties.

The two bookend properties on SW 2nd are cases in point, as is the old service station directly east of the market.

Many people have tried to work something out but they continue to sit on their hands with the properties in generally poor condition.

21. Default Re: Farmers market district

Yep.... That is where they were looking. I was told by one of them that the property owner wanted them to renovate the property and then pay rent on top of it..... Renovation was going to require some extensive roof repairs is what I was told.

I think that old service station just screams BBQ, or maybe burgers, and if I had the capital to pull it off, I would be trying to put a Q-raunt in there myself.

^

What if I could help you raise the capital??

It's absolutely criminal this city does not have one decent, old-school BBQ place.

23. Default Re: Farmers market district

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

What if I could help you raise the capital??

It's absolutely criminal this city does not have one decent, old-school BBQ place.
    I really do appreciate the offer but I'm afraid of losing too much control if I have investors.

I've been self-employed more of my life than I've been employed by others and the only bad experiences I have during those self-employed times came when partners were involved. So if I can't afford to do it on my own. I'd just rather not risk a venture of that type.

Now not to get completely off topic here....well, yeah this is totally off topic.. Who am I kidding.

I have been kicking around a couple of ideas...

One would be a charity event benefiting Operation BBQ Relief where myself, and a few of my pitmaster friends, would basically throw a big party somewhere and serve up some of our Q..... The main thing that's been holding me back on this idea has been a lack of time in getting it organized. My work schedule has just been insane recently.

My second idea is more of a pop-up type event and I wouldn't even care if I made any money doing it. But basically if I could find a location where I could get setup, meet all the HD requirements if necessary, and just cook and serve Q until I run out and basically turn it into a monthly, or bi-monthly depending on my schedule, back yard type party. I think it would be a blast.... But once again this comes down to the amount of hours I have available to me in a day, and those seem to come at a premium for me right now, to get the logistics of trying to do something like that researched and organized.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I really do appreciate the offer but I'm afraid of losing too much control if I have investors.

I've been self-employed more of my life than I've been employed by others and the only bad experiences I have during those self-employed times came when partners were involved. So if I can't afford to do it on my own. I'd just rather not risk a venture of that type.

Now not to get completely off topic here....well, yeah this is totally off topic.. Who am I kidding.

I have been kicking around a couple of ideas...

One would be a charity event benefiting Operation BBQ Relief where myself, and a few of my pitmaster friends, would basically throw a big party somewhere and serve up some of our Q..... The main thing that's been holding me back on this idea has been a lack of time in getting it organized. My work schedule has just been insane recently.

My second idea is more of a pop-up type event and I wouldn't even care if I made any money doing it. But basically if I could find a location where I could get setup, meet all the HD requirements if necessary, and just cook and serve Q until I run out and basically turn it into a monthly, or bi-monthly depending on my schedule, back yard type party. I think it would be a blast.... But once again this comes down to the amount of hours I have available to me in a day, and those seem to come at a premium for me right now, to get the logistics of trying to do something like that researched and organized.
    What about working with the food truck parks to have a monthly Q operation, or some of the bars that don't serve food?

25. Default Re: Farmers market district

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    What about working with the food truck parks to have a monthly Q operation, or some of the bars that don't serve food?
    I have kicked around that idea too but it would all come down to how many HD hoops I would need to jump through to pull it off..... Time really is my biggest issue for the once a month/part time type thing.

Thread Information