Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 112 of 112
  1. #101

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    whaaat. that totally stinks... really liked that place.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Urban Agrarian announced on FB they will soon be closing their doors.

    Big loss for the district but hopes something interesting takes their space, as it has lots of potential.
    hmmm... are you sure about this? I wasn't able to locate that post on facebook or twitter... looks like they're trying to get into web ordering but didn't see anything about closing the brick & mortar.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    hmmm... are you sure about this? I wasn't able to locate that post on facebook or twitter... looks like they're trying to get into web ordering but didn't see anything about closing the brick & mortar.
    There's an article by Dave Cathey on NewsOK.com about this closing. Sad stuff.

  4. #104

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    interesting... just read the article but can't find the letter it references. however, there's a post on the 6th discussing a kickstarter campaign. i wonder if they're now trying to figure out a way to avoid closing?

  5. Default Re: Farmers market district

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    interesting... just read the article but can't find the letter it references. however, there's a post on the 6th discussing a kickstarter campaign. i wonder if they're now trying to figure out a way to avoid closing?
    https://www.facebook.com/matthew.r.burch?fref=ts

  6. #106

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    ahh... thanks. was looking at ua's page. it doesn't look like their kickstarter is going to make its goal... i wonder if that factored into the decision.

  7. #107

    Farmers Market Re: Farmers market district



    OKC Farmers Market
    311 S. Klein Ave., Oklahoma City Downtown OKC
    (405) 486-0701

    Home - OKC Farmers Pubic Market: https://okcfarmersmarket.com/

    Oklahoma Gazette: https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/o...nt?oid=6684670
    Oklahoman: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx

    Oklahoma City - Farmers Public Market opened on June 16, 1928, on what had been the site of Delmar Gardens Amusement Park. The market, a two-story, 40,000-square foot mix of Spanish architecture with terracotta ornamentation, was built by John J. Harden in response to farmers selling their produce on downtown streets. The first floor was used by farmers selling produce, while the second floor hosted concerts, dances, boxing matches and roller-skating.

    Before the start of its slow demise in the 1970s, the market also housed a grocery, meat market, candy store, bakery, cafe and a drug store. Legends like Hank Williams Sr., Count Basie and Bob Willis played in the secondfloor auditorium.

    Once the OSU-OKC market closes, Farmers Public Market will be home to more than 40 vendors.

    “Come March, we will not have a vacant spot,” McAnally said.

    Burch, who opened Urban Agrarian in 2012, said OSUOKC’s actions are a bonanza for the Farmers Market district.

    The changes coincide with traffic lights being added to the Klein Avenue and Oklahoma City Boulevard intersection and a change of Klein from one-way to two-way traffic next month, providing the landmark its best access and visibility in decades...

    ...The market inside the building shut down in the 1970s and was replaced with an antique mall, though farmers still operated permanent stands surrounding the main building. The farmers stands continued to operate through the 1990s, but they virtually disappeared when the OSU-OKC market opened in 1996...

    ...“The market was a feather in their cap at OSU for almost 30 years,” Burch said. “They were so proud of this. There will be public relations and some aspects of being downtown that might be good. But buying groceries and parking downtown, that’s not what everyone wants.”--Excerpts from the Oklahoman, Steve Lackmeyer - Business, February 2, 2020

    Will life to the Farmers Public Market area ever return to this historic city venue?

  8. #108

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    I know that I (and other people) have already mentioned this in the Boulevard thread, but the absolutely asinine planning of the Boulevard/Western/Classen area has killed any momentum this district had for the foreseeable future.

    I do think the area bounded by SW 3rd, Western, I-40, and Exchange is an interesting possibility for the MAPS soccer stadium, and possibly cheaper than the Producers Coop location depending on who owns that land. Would also give people a reason to go to this district 15-20 times per year, and good highway access as well.

  9. #109

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    I found this to be an interesting read on the closing of the OSU market and the non input given to the vendors on the move to Scissortail Park. Federal grant money and how the decision was made begs for further follow up.

    Farmers, customers dislocated by OSU-OKC are choosing Farmers Public Market over Scissortail Park
    https://oklahoman.com/article/565381...issortail-park

  10. Default Re: Farmers market district

    The new vendors at the Farmers Public Market are a great addition to the ones they already have! Also looks as if Palo Santo is close to opening in the strip next to the Loaded Bowl.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I found this to be an interesting read on the closing of the OSU market and the non input given to the vendors on the move to Scissortail Park. Federal grant money and how the decision was made begs for further follow up.

    Farmers, customers dislocated by OSU-OKC are choosing Farmers Public Market over Scissortail Park
    https://oklahoman.com/article/565381...issortail-park
    That's a pretty biased headline by Steve. I know not all farmers and customers are choosing the Farmers Public Market over Scissortail. He had a few other facts wrong in the article as well. I just hope everyone gives both venues a chance instead of writing one of them off. I think they can both be special places and successful.

  12. #112

    Default Re: Farmers market district

    Quote Originally Posted by swosuknight View Post
    That's a pretty biased headline by Steve. I know not all farmers and customers are choosing the Farmers Public Market over Scissortail. He had a few other facts wrong in the article as well. I just hope everyone gives both venues a chance instead of writing one of them off. I think they can both be special places and successful.
    Generally, writers don't get to choose their own headlines, the copy editors do that part of the job (the writers may have suggestions that the copy editors can consider, though), that's the way it's been at the dozen or so papers my wife's been a copy editor at, including the Joklahoman.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Downtown Farmers' Market to Return
    By ksearls in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 01:51 AM
  2. Today is last Downtown Farmer's Market of the season
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
  3. Skirvin chef to cook at Downtown Farmer's Market today!
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
  4. Dollars and Sense - The Chickasha TIF District
    By okiemom in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 08:55 AM
  5. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO