Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Farmers market district

Default Re: Farmers market district

DCF also runs concert promotions for the Brady Theatre so, like The Peake and BOK, there will probably be multiple stops in Oklahoma, depending on where they are going either on the same leg of the tour, back to back or one and then the other later.

From the Journal Record:

Growth spurt: OKC’s second food truck park to crop up in Farmers Market District
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record October 3, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – The city will soon have a second food truck park.

Farmers Market District attorney Bud Scott is working with Farmers Public Market building owners Burt and Jody McAnally to create a food truck park on land they own in the district. The property is directly east of Urban Agrarian, 1235 SW Second St., and northwest of the Farmers Public Market building.

Oklahoma City’s first permanent space for food trucks, Bleu Garten, opened this month.

At the new location, food trucks will have access to electrical outlets, grease traps and a gray-water disposal site. There will also be an 80-by-40-foot pavilion with a stage. The area will be dotted with landscaping from Farmers Market District business Pam’s Plants.

“We’re going for a much more family-friendly green space, with food trucks that happen to be there as well,” Scott said.

“It will complement the activities we’re already planning.”

The entrance will be marked by an old pickup truck.

“We are dropping in a 1939 rusted piece of goodness,” he said. “It was donated by one of my clients, Walnut Creek Ranch in Waynoka. It’s been sitting on his farm for a while.”

Scott said he’s already talked to several food truck owners regarding their interest in the park. Operators will sign a monthly lease and then schedule shifts, such as lunch, dinner or late nights. Three- and six-month leasing options will be available as well. Six trucks can park at one time, with additional spaces available for large events.

The park is expected to open in November, about the same time as the Power House bar. Burt McAnally said he and Jody are excited to see the district’s new life. The couple bought the Farmers Public Market building in 2002.

“We’ve dreamed about this,” he said. “Our original vision was not of renovation but of restoration. We’ve always been hopeful, but we didn’t have the same smile on our faces that we do right now.”

He said the bar, the food truck park and Urban Agrarian‘s expansion into the former Sterling Produce building at 311 S. Klein Ave. next to the Farmers Public Market are just the start of the district’s positive changes.

“We’re very excited because the more things that go on down here, the more the district is putting down roots,” he said.

“Jody’s attitude and my attitude has always been – the more the merrier. We just need to have activity down here. I think the food truck park will be a catalyst for that.”

The area already has its own food truck, with Urban Agrarian owner Matt Burch partnering with Brent Van Meter’s The Tin Can. It’s open every weekend from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., serving comfort fare featuring seasonal and locally sourced produce.

McAnally said he met with investors this past week interested in putting money into the area.

“The more businesses we get down here, the more things we have, the more events that we have – it’s just going to be good for the city,” he said.

Scott said the Farmers Market District is in a prime spot as the city develops west. He said the district still has many properties available for investment.

“With the successful buildup of the Farmers Market District, it’s a sound link in a chain that runs from Stockyards City to downtown and to Bricktown, so it’s a little more cohesive, as opposed to being cut off like it’s been for quite some time,” Scott said.

Cool! I'm looking forward to watching that area take shape.

Sounds like it will be the area immediately around Powerhouse.

From the Journal Record:

These Walls: Earth to Urban Local Food Hub

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record December 5, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – Downtown development is starting to move west, but two businesses have long boasted about the area.

The Earth to Urban Local Food Hub opened at 1235 SW Second St. in November 2011 in a 1930s produce building. The building went up shortly after its neighbor, the Farmers Public Market Building.

The 5,000-square-foot red brick Earth to Urban building was home to two generations of family-owned produce operators during its heyday. It was once connected to a pool hall, but that building’s only remains are the checkerboard floor entrance. In 2007, Scott Friedman purchased the produce building. He said it was nearly dilapidated, so he put in the wooden floors and restored the barrel-style roof before leasing it to the food hub.

The Earth to Urban Local Food Hub consists of two businesses, Urban Agrarian local food market and Earth Elements market, bakery, and entrepreneurs’ kitchen. The two businesses provide the community with fresh, locally sourced food. But getting their products to people was a challenge at first because the hub was in an area that wasn’t frequently visited. Urban Agrarian owner Matt Burch said he used social media to reach out to people. The strategy seems to have worked well, as the store was open only from Wednesday to Sunday for the first three years, and started opening daily earlier this year.

The large building is separated into sections. The old loading dock on the south side has been transformed into the Urban Agrarian retail space. The dock has large garage doors that can be raised when weather permits. Urban Agrarian sells Oklahoma produce, locally raised meats and other products. The displays often feature the price and the farm’s location. The shop is a favorite among restaurateurs.

Behind the shop is the Urban Agrarian office that Burch built when he started leasing the building. Heading farther to the building’s north, one finds storage space for Urban and Earth Elements, and a loading dock to get the Urban van prepared for deliveries or setting up at farmers’ markets. There is also a large walk-in refrigerator to help keep produce fresh.

While there are only two businesses in the hub, several other entrepreneurs benefit from the Earth Elements kitchen. Eighteen companies lease the space and use it to prepare food for catering or to make items such as bagels, cookies, jams and jellies. Della Terra pasta maker Chris Becker has his pasta drying machine in the building as well.

As with any old building, it comes with climate-control challenges. The high ceilings make it hard to keep heat on the floor level. Burch said he and his staff often use space heaters and gas heaters to keep everyone comfortable.

The hub now has a quick-service food element, with The Tin Can food truck operating next door. Burch said he would like to add an awning where the pool hall once sat to accommodate Tin Can customers.

I don’t understand Burt McAnally’s thinking on the Farmer’s Market. He could have a place that hosts great rock bands that usually go to the Diamond like 311, Bush, Limp Bizkit, Awolnation, Chevelle, Modest mouse, Stone Temple Pilots and other bands that would sell out the venue. Instead, FM has hosted Insane Clown Posse, Puddle of Mud and most recently announced Scare don’t fear, Mushroomhead and Hed(pe) in September. While I like all of those bands individually, I would think the bands that are going to the Diamond would bring in more money than the ones who are performing there. I guess all this is a moot point with the Criterion and the Tower coming up as music venues and partnering with Live Nation though.

Photos from this weekend.

Soooo much potential here.

9. Default Re: Farmers market district

I agree.... When Kosmo's BBQ was looking for a brick and mortar location I had steered him here... Unfortunately the owner of the building space he looked at wasn't very accomodating.

The buildings down there just scream BBQ with the character they have and you have the meat distributor right there on the corner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	11820

Looks like they're getting ready for some fresh paint....

Farmers Market Farmer's Market

The Farmer's Market has been in the process of getting a refresh:

Default Re: Farmer's Market

Wow, that's incredible.

They are also re-doing the restrooms.

This facility really should get more music events. It's very cool and lots of surrounding parking.

Looking good Billy Ray

15. Default Re: Farmer's Market

I've always thought that it could/should be the OKC version of Cain's Ballroom. The history and original purpose of the upstairs is/was quite similar to Cain's, to the point where Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys actually called Farmers Market home when first relocating from Fort Worth.

They hosted weekly dances and a syndicated radio show, but eventually had to move once again - this time to Cain's - thanks to threats made to WKY (IIRC) of pulled commercials, made my the sponsor of their original radio show in Texas. The rest is history, and Bob Wills put Cain's on the live music map while Farmers market foundered for decades.

How are the acoustics? That is something that is obviously very important to being a good music venue.

17. Default Re: Farmer's Market

Excellent, based on events I've been to. Again, the construction is very similar to Cain's.

Blog Entries

Looks really nice

Is that the same building they hold the Momentum art show in every year? If so, wow, I have never seen it that clean looking.

If that is the building, the acoustics are pretty good. The art show I mentioned usually has a live band or an EDM DJ and as far as I remember things sounded pretty ok with just the small amps they were using.

Few more from today:

Did they paint the Windows turquoise? Or are they still original

That looks fantastic! It needed a refresh for sure.

Blog Entries

Next the streetscape please. I would stay it needs a refurb but really it just doesn't even have one at all... but that's kind of good in a way. Blank slate...

24. Default Re: Farmer's Market

In case you haven't heard...

http://okcfarmersmarket.com/farm-brew/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12313761_562449313911161_7129007182353773030_n.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	12029

Thread Information