Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Farmers market district

Default Re: Farmers market district

Looking at the Bricktown Events Center website, I don't see a single concert scheduled.

It says it holds 1,100 seated and 1,800 standing... Seems like the perfect size, or even a little on the bigger end.

So, why don't they get any concerts??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looking at the Bricktown Events Center website, I don't see a single concert scheduled.

It says it holds 1,100 seated and 1,800 standing... Seems like the perfect size, or even a little on the bigger end.

So, why don't they get any concerts??
    Well 1) we still have the promoter problem. There just doesn't seem to be any good ones interested in working this market. I have a feeling this will change. DCF has actually been expanding their horizons a bit beyond the death thrash stuff they are known for booking. I think the Pixies was their show and I have seen Cake and Pete Yorn at the Diamond in the last year and a half. Some upcoming shows look promising, too. So maybe when they need a bigger space they can go here.

2) The alcohol situation. I don't know what kind of rules lead to this, but every show I have been to there only serves 3.2 beer and only by the DREADED ticket method, where you have to stand in one big stupid line to buy drink tickets and then stand in another line right next to that line just to get some 3.2 beer from a trash can. As expected, there is no permanent bar. This drastically decreases a main revenue stream from both the venue operator and promoter's stand point. If they could fix this I bet the economics would work a lot better and you'd see more shows.

They do have shows there, it's just infrequent. In the past 5-6 years I have seen the White Stripes, Wilco, Flaming Lips, and the Pixies there. The room is like a VERY dumpy version of the Fillmore in SF. It's just one large room with high ceiling, but little has been done to it to make it a premier venue. It feels more like convention space than anything, with a decent stage.

The Farmer's Market is very much a ballroom space with tons of historic charm. It could use a little dressing up here and there, but it's ready to be a primary venue for sure. It even has (gasp!) a bar that uses the novel concept of accepting cash and credit cards at the events I have been to. I saw the Black Crows there a few years back and it wasn't a bad experience. Not sure if they have a freight elevator or not, because I am sure lugging gear up there would suck.

Personally, I'd love to see the Tower turned into something like a larger capacity version of the El Ray.

DCF is the largest concert promoter in the state. They own the Diamond Ball Room in OKC, and Cain's in Tulsa. If an act is only going to play once in the state, and they would either fit into Cain's (larger/much nicer than Diamond) or Bricktown Event Center (about the size/not as nice as Cain's), then they book the act in Tulsa, and OKC misses out.

My hope is that within the next five years we will have a state of the art amphitheater and HOB type venue. Fingers crossed.

The Beicktown events center is not set up well for concerts. I've been to several big name acts there and it was boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    DCF is the largest concert promoter in the state. They own the Diamond Ball Room in OKC, and Cain's in Tulsa. If an act is only going to play once in the state, and they would either fit into Cain's (larger/much nicer than Diamond) or Bricktown Event Center (about the size/not as nice as Cain's), then they book the act in Tulsa, and OKC misses out.
    Ok, then we know where their heart lies, because their attention to OKC and execution of shows here does not reflect the experience they should have from doing shows at Cain's. Bizarre.

Just FYI, Cain's and the Diamond are both about 1200-1300 capacity. BEC is about 1800 for standing room.

The funny thing is that they do book acts in both the Diamond and BEC that do not play Tulsa on the same tour. I honestly think a lot of people complain about the discrepancy between the two markets, but they only know what played at Cain's and have no idea about some shows here. For that matter, the Opolis gets great acts that don't play in Tulsa, but many seem to not know who they are until they play Tulsa. This must be branding. Cain's has a good brand in Tulsa because they book good shows there and have leveraged the history. Diamond / DCF has a bad brand in OKC, because they book so much crap there, even though good shows do play the Diamond. It's location sucks though and that's not going to change. The Farmer's Market does not have that issue and it's close to the size of cain's and the Diamond (1000-1200), but being that DCF doesn't own it, they're not going to put anything there.

Nice promo graphic, no?

And they have a VIP early girlie preview. LOL

Nothing like being a VIP.

HangryHippo Guest

Damn Praedura, would it have killed you to throw a "Not Safe For Work" tag on that??

10. Default Re: Farmers market district

Haha, disapproving lady in black disapproves.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Approving male in blue approves!

12. Default Re: Farmers market district

But the approving bearded man in a suit definitely approves.

Edit: Doh..late to the party

yeah... pics removed. let's keep this site safe for work.

i'd edit the post to switch the pics to links but i'm at work...

-M

Damn you M.. We need a VIP forum

16. Default Re: Farmers market district

You know how I know that I'm old? I was having more fun checking out the expressions of the OTHER people in the shots than in checking out the subject matter of the photos.

You know how I know that I'm old? I was having more fun checking out the expressions of the OTHER people in the shots than in checking out the subject matter of the photos.
    I was definitely not. Still young, woot-woot!

An update on the Better Block event planned for this area.

Oklahoma City group aims to make Farmers Market District a 'better block' | News OK

Better Block OKC is this weekend in the Farmers Market District. Better Block OKC | May 4, 2013 in the Farmers Market District, Oklahoma City Also, I hope you guys had a chance to check out the new Farmers Market District branding that was donated through Better Block OKC. Here's a link to their new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OKCFarmersMarketDistrict

Better Block OKC: Farmers Market District
    This Saturday! 8am-4pm
    SW 2nd & Klein Ave

Food Vendors:
    Native Roots Market
    Wild Al's
    Roxy's Ice Cream Social
    The Crepe Brewers
    Taste of Soul Egg Roll
    Motochef
    BYOBeer Garden

Kids Activities
    Fowler Toyota Pop Up Park
    Legacy Bank Sandbox Treasure Hunt
    SixTwelve: Printmaking with pigment from local foods
    ACOG Kids Activities
    Kids Coloring Book table

Street Life
    Improved Street Layout and Parking on SW 2nd
    Market Row Pedestrian Plaza & Pop Up Businesses
    Seating, Shade and Landscaping Improvements
    Interactive & Crowdsourced activities
    Farmers Market Vendors including produce, dry goods, fresh flower, crafts and more!
    Local musicians throughout the day

Better Block OKC to present reimagined Farmers Market District on May 4
    Presented by Fowler Toyota, Better Block OKC will take place Saturday, May 4th, 2013 8am to 4pm in the Farmers Market District at SW 2nd and Klein Ave. This community revitalization project temporarily demonstrates how to improve a street with pedestrian and public infrastructure mixed with art, culture, pop-up businesses and street life.

Better Block OKC is a grassroots event that plants seeds for change. We make temporary improvements with the creativity and help of volunteers, business owners, and people who want to see a place like Farmers Market District defined and bustling again – to show a more permanent vision for places that matter. FARMERS MARKET DISTRICT IS A PLACE THAT MATTERS. It is a historical, urban place –with a purpose that has been waiting to be reimagined and revitalized.

SO LET’S GO BACK TO THE START. Let’s build a thriving local market experience – that feeds our bodies and our community.

Join us May 4th, 8am-4pm in the Farmers Market District. Bring your family, your appetite and your imagination.
    Fowler Toyota of Norman is the presenting sponsor of Better Block OKC, a program of ULI Oklahoma. Additional sponsors include: Legacy Bank, Olthia Urban Prairie Garden Design, Braid Creative & Consulting, Pelco Products, and Johnson & Associates.

So, I remember a band called Insane Clown Posse playing in OKC about once a year when I was in college at the Tower Theatre and I was curious if they played here any more. Well, I looked up on their website and it looks like they are playing at the Farmers Market on October 12. From looking at their calendar in the future, it is mostly weddings and bands like the Red Dirt Rangers playing there. I wish Burt McAnally would move in to more concerts but I am sure the weddings are more tame (usually) and less clean up but I think he could make a lot more money working with DCF or someone like that to promote.

21. Default Re: Farmers market district

ICP played Chevy (then Coca-Cola) Event Center a time or two in the past 8-10 years. I think the current remodel of that building would stifle a DCF partnership with Farmer's Market as DCF will be pretty closely aligned there, plus still booking at Diamond, which they own. It would probably be a better fit for Farmers Market to cultivate a relationship with a different promoter, and unfortunately OKC is in short supply.

I too have been puzzled at the lack of concert bookings at Farmers Market. I think it is a dramatically underutilized resource and could be every bit the asset Cain's is for Tulsa. Still, really looking forward to the next chapter for the Chevy Event Center, as I think the quality bookings in town will see a dramatic uptick.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    So, I remember a band called Insane Clown Posse playing in OKC about once a year when I was in college at the Tower Theatre and I was curious if they played here any more. Well, I looked up on their website and it looks like they are playing at the Farmers Market on October 12. From looking at their calendar in the future, it is mostly weddings and bands like the Red Dirt Rangers playing there. I wish Burt McAnally would move in to more concerts but I am sure the weddings are more tame (usually) and less clean up but I think he could make a lot more money working with DCF or someone like that to promote.
    Are you a Juggalo?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Are you a Juggalo?
    I have been to a few concerts in college and listened to some of their music, but I do not consider myself one, no.

ICP played Chevy (then Coca-Cola) Event Center a time or two in the past 8-10 years. I think the current remodel of that building would stifle a DCF partnership with Farmer's Market as DCF will be pretty closely aligned there, plus still booking at Diamond, which they own. It would probably be a better fit for them to cultivate a relationship with a different promoter, and unfortunately OKC is in short supply.

I too have been puzzled at the lack of concert bookings at Farmers Market. I think it is a dramatically underutilized resource and could be every bit the asset Cain's is for Tulsa. Still, really looking forward to the next chapter for the Chevy Event Center, as I think the quality bookings in town will see a dramatic uptick.
    I forget about the BT Events Center, good call. This will fill the mid-size venue void OKC has been lacking. Shows that usually go to Trees in Dallas or the Brady in Tulsa might skip one of those and make a stop in OKC or just make it an extra stop on the tour. Does DCF promote the BT Events Center?

25. Default Re: Farmers market district

DCF has a very friendly relationship with the owner of CBEC. I'm unaware of a specific business relationship related to the remodel, though there may be one. But I do know that the remodel was being done with the understanding that there would be a heavy commitment to quality shows there, and that CBEC expects that DCF is going to be a significant source for said shows.

Thread Information