Widgets Magazine

Thread: Clean up Warr Acres

Thumbs up Clean up Warr Acres

We should contact the Mayor of Warr Acres and property owners and see what can be done to clean up/fix up this town.

mayor@warracres-ok.gov

Owners of Savannah Pointe Apartments Carlsbad Management Group LLC

Default Re: Clean up Warr Acres

It looks like Saul Centers, the owners of the property at 63rd and MacArthur have a few other properties that are on the nicer side. Maybe they will invest in this 63rd and MacArthur property and help improve Warr Acres.

Saul Centers Inc. - Real Estate Investment Trust - Bethesda, Maryland

I agree.....Warr Acres is really not keeping up with other parts of the city and it's depressing to drive through.

Come on WA....KEEP UP.

Absentee landlords seem to be the biggest offenders since they have no "stake" in the community.

5. Default Re: Clean up Warr Acres

Unless it's changed considerably since I left OKC in August, 1998, the entire area between MacArthur and Grove on NW 50th Street was almost in a state of emergency too. Just east of the 7-Eleven, there was a Dry Cleaners of some sort, but between those two businesses were a lot of vacant buildings in an old shopping center — with the exception of a Goodwill store.

Has anything changed around that area any?

the shopping center on the nw corner of 50th and macarthur has some tenants that include big red shop (OU and OSU merchandise) and a nice bakery that was relocated from NW Expressway and Rockwell.

there is a new strip center, small, just east of that shopping center and cleaners with a couple of restaurants. I would say there is some improvement to that stretch of 50th.

Well I can tell ya that the Absentee slum lords destroyed Del City.
    40% of our housing stock is rental and it shows.............

8. Default Re: Clean up Warr Acres

The decline of much of west Oklahoma City, Bethany, and Warr Acres has been a source of sadness for me. There are pockets that are just as bad as the worst places in town. When shopping centers fall into disrepair and retail becomes pawn shops, check cashing, liquor stores, etc. -- while you dodge the potholes in the parking lots -- it has become an emergency. It's all just very sad for those of us who remember a vibrant and very nice west OKC.

It seems that WA is being ghettoized like DC was years ago.

Yes, just work to keep the slum lords and section 8 out of your town and that is the first fight

Something needs to be done about those apartments on Lyrewood Lane. It's a shame, because there are a lot of nice, large houses around that area that have the misfortune of being so close to the slums.

Quote Originally Posted by airplane777 View Post
    We should contact the Mayor of Warr Acres and property owners and see what can be done to clean up/fix up this town.

mayor@warracres-ok.gov

Owners of Savannah Pointe Apartments Carlsbad Management Group LLC
    I am afraid you would be preaching to the choir. Believe me Warr Acres would love to have a nice clean sparkling city with a low crime rate. However, according to Warr Acres Police Officers they don't have the funds to take somebody court especially when many of their run down property owners have big money lawyers that will drag the case out. Since Walmart left back years ago, the city is consistently on a feast or famine budget. One year it's good, the next is bad. If they hadn't found a company that leased police cars at reasonable rates they would still be driving second hand police cars from other agencies in the region. I will share with you that their police officers do their best to keep crime down in the apartment complexes and neighborhoods. I have done a few ride a longs with them and each night they were scouring the apartment complexes looking for burglars and stolen/abandoned cars.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I am afraid you would be preaching to the choir. Believe me Warr Acres would love to have a nice clean sparkling city with a low crime rate. However, according to Warr Acres Police Officers they don't have the funds to take somebody court especially when many of their run down property owners have big money lawyers that will drag the case out. Since Walmart left back years ago, the city is consistently on a feast or famine budget. One year it's good, the next is bad. If they hadn't found a company that leased police cars at reasonable rates they would still be driving second hand police cars from other agencies in the region. I will share with you that their police officers do their best to keep crime down in the apartment complexes and neighborhoods. I have done a few ride a longs with them and each night they were scouring the apartment complexes looking for burglars and stolen/abandoned cars.
    Then perhaps WA needs to attract new business into their community. Business that will attract tax revenue for the city. It seems the city officials at Warr Acres are sitting on their duffs and not aggressively recruiting business in their city. WA is getting to be a very dirty, nasty little city and is an embarrasment to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Then perhaps WA needs to attract new business into their community. Business that will attract tax revenue for the city. It seems the city officials at Warr Acres are sitting on their duffs and not aggressively recruiting business in their city. WA is getting to be a very dirty, nasty little city and is an embarrasment to OKC.
    Where would a new business go? Who would be interested. Every major chain already has location(s) on Northwest Expressway. The best places are taken by existing business that are not going to relocate without a serious chunk of money. They might be able to spur something out of 63rd and MacArthur. NW Expressway not properly developed in that area. The few retailers that existed sat too far back off the road. They could have turned it around had they focused on finding someone to demolish the old Walmart and start from scratch. However, that would have meant the indian buffet place would have to have gone with it and I am willing to bet they were the bump in the road that prevented anything from becoming anything descent. Now they have a church that uses the building a couple of days a week and a pizza place that may use half the parking lot if they are lucky. I guess your right about that. They should have focused on quality businesses instead of the first offers on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    Where would a new business go? Who would be interested. Every major chain already has location(s) on Northwest Expressway. The best places are taken by existing business that are not going to relocate without a serious chunk of money. They might be able to spur something out of 63rd and MacArthur. NW Expressway not properly developed in that area. The few retailers that existed sat too far back off the road. They could have turned it around had they focused on finding someone to demolish the old Walmart and start from scratch. However, that would have meant the indian buffet place would have to have gone with it and I am willing to bet they were the bump in the road that prevented anything from becoming anything descent. Now they have a church that uses the building a couple of days a week and a pizza place that may use half the parking lot if they are lucky. I guess your right about that. They should have focused on quality businesses instead of the first offers on the table.
    Actually, I attend the church you are referring to, Lifechurch.tv NW OKC campus, we utilize the building 7 days a week, as well as many other organizations and ministries do as well. We also have 6 weekend services. One of our churches core values is to maximize resources, as most churches have 2 events a week, one Sunday service, and Wednesday night activities. We have about 4000 people that attend our campus each week, many of which spill out to the surrounding restaurants, thus Warr Acres getting a lot of Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday business they otherwise wouldn't have got before. Also, if you drive by GattiTown on a Friday or Saturday night, the parking lot is packed full. It's not like massive amounts of kids can ditch school each day and go play.

Thread Information