Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
That's right, let's bring America into the 21st century! I'm all for that! I am against using that money for something that will hurt us. Let's get high speed rail going in the Northeast Corridor, Florida, Dallas-Houston, etc. OKC-Dallas just doesn't have the demand for more seats. If the demand was there, Southwest and American would be adding tons of flights between our two cities, just as they have done between Houston and Dallas. Our city doesn't NEED this rail line. It would be cool, but we don't need it.

I dislike hearing the reasoning that a third option will take away people from one of the two main options (in this case flight and auto). More than likely a cheap efficient method of travel could open up the possibility for new travelers for leisure, recreation, and visiting family/friends. I just searched for Airplane tickets to and from Dallas. $140 and up. That's too much for a leisurely trip to visit friends in Dallas for a couple of days. I can get on the Heartland Flyer at 8:25 in the morning, and it would only cost $52. But I've done that, and it takes awhile. Each day they have to stop and ask permission to pass through the railroad's construction areas. The amount of time it takes to pass depends on the mood of the rail gang, from what I can tell. You might sit there for 30 minutes or you might sit there for an hour and a half. Not moving at all. And then, when you come home, there's one trip.

I don't know if a high speed rail would make more than one trip back and forth per day, I'm assuming it would? And I don't know what it would cost for a passage from here to Dallas and back. But I would like to know more before your kind just decide to poo poo the idea based on your fear that it will take airline business away. I never fly, so it would probably gain my business and I know there are many others like me.