Widgets Magazine

Thread: Warr Acres

Default Warr Acres

I wonder if anything will ever go into the commercial property at 63rd and MacArthur.

Default Re: Warr Acres

IMO its kind of the chicken and egg thing. Someone will have to come in and do a major remodel of the property before new retail will come in. With money as hard to get as it is don't expect this to happen very soon. The groceries on the NW Hiway probably prevent a grocer from being interested.

I grew up just east of there and on a visit last fall was utterly shocked to see the condition of that property.

When it was built in the 70's and 80's, there was a Safeway, Treasury Drug, TG&Y, a twin theater, Furr's Cafeteria, Hallmark store, clothing stores... Lots of things.

Now, it's almost completely empty and in horrific shape, when peeling paint and massive craters in the parking lot.

The city needs to get on the owners to at least maintain the property.

4. Default Re: Warr Acres

It would be nice to see something go in there but at this point it might be better to just demolish it and start over again. I really don't get why there's nothing there-- that's a busy intersection and lots of people pass by it. I guess it's just too close to NW Expressway.

I lived just west of that area in the 80's. At that time it was a very nice area, hate to hear it has gone down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    It would be nice to see something go in there but at this point it might be better to just demolish it and start over again. I really don't get why there's nothing there-- that's a busy intersection and lots of people pass by it. I guess it's just too close to NW Expressway.
    I agree. Demographics and economic realities have changed. Take it out and figure out something new to put there. However, until banks start being banks again and lend money for worthwhile projects, it won't happen soon.

The fence around Savannah point apartments (Warr Acres) is falling down again. It really makes the area look bad when the owners do not take care of their property.

8. Default Re: Warr Acres

I have not been back to visit OKC since October, 2005 but I still keep up with some things going on there.

The last I remember, there was a Walgreens at the SE corner of that intersection; an abandoned Conoco station at the NE corner; a shopping center on the NW corner (although I don't recall the name) which had a Homeland, a post office, an unemployment office, a Metro Library and a thrift store; and an abandoned corner on the SW side, with the exception of a Midfirst Bank.

So are you indicating that this area has even gone downhill since I left in August, 1998?

yes, the area has gone downhill. one fairly new development though is the opening of an antique/craft mall kind of store in the former vacant store on the sw corner of that intersection on the westernmost part of the property. when we pass by, there always seem to be a fair amount of cars in front of the new.

the warr acres library is still on the nw corner of the intersection. i do not like going there. the parking lot is full of chugholes and the library is the only one in the metro where i go that has a security guard at the front door. well, i know there is a guard at the downtown library but there are no guards at village, belle isle, southern oaks, edmond.

sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    yes, the area has gone downhill. one fairly new development though is the opening of an antique/craft mall kind of store in the former vacant store on the sw corner of that intersection on the westernmost part of the property. when we pass by, there always seem to be a fair amount of cars in front of the new.

the warr acres library is still on the nw corner of the intersection. i do not like going there. the parking lot is full of chugholes and the library is the only one in the metro where i go that has a security guard at the front door. well, i know there is a guard at the downtown library but there are no guards at village, belle isle, southern oaks, edmond.

sad state of affairs.
    I have worked near that intersection for several years and always felt completely safe. I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a mostly vacant shopping center on the NW corner that definitely needs attention but the rest of that immediate area is fine. There are areas all over OKC with some empty commercial buildings or lots and that doesn't mean it's an unsafe area, just that there are some owners who have no intention of keeping up or developing the property.

I did not intend to portray something incorrectly. I was speaking mainly about the NW corner of the intersection - the shopping center, the parking lot, and the library with security guard.

Although we use the metropoitan libraries numerous times each month, I have not been to the Warr Acres library in a few months. Perhaps there is no longer a security guard. I don't know why security guards have been needed at that location.

I am pleased with the new retail on the SW corner and hope things continue to go in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    Two words: Lyrewood Lane

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Two words: Lyrewood Lane
    Not necessarily, Metro. I have worked at that intersection for over four years and have never seen anything that remotely came close to a security issue, Lyrewood Lane or not. I not defending issues at the apartment complexes just saying that it doesn't affect everything in that area. Those apartments are actually closer to many businesses along NW Expressway than they are to MacArthur and 63rd.

I still would argue this one. Also if I'm wrong then what is the reason??

I wish I knew. But if I had to guess, it would be issues with the owners not the location. I've never heard anyone in that immediate area express any concerns about safety or crime.

Agree Metro. That area has gone down hill due to the "element" and the changing demographics for that area. That area at one time did not have the issues or crime element that seems to be prevelant. Metro also makes a good point why argue?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Agree Metro. That area has gone down hill due to the "element" and the changing demographics for that area. That area at one time did not have the issues or crime element that seems to be prevelant. Metro also makes a good point why argue?
    I'm arguing because he's talking about how it affects the area of 63rd and MacArthur, which it does not. I have worked in that area every day for several years so I should know. There have been problems in the apartments, but as I said, most of them are closer to businesses along NW Expressway and I haven't heard anyone here complaining about crime along NW Expressway near the apartments.

Thread Information