Widgets Magazine

Thread: Movie theaters.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    I went there a few times but it wasn't on my normal theater circuit even though I grew up in Norman.

There were not many choices in Norman in those days...(I am talking 1950's here, when Norman had 25,000 folks)
    I agree there weren't many options in Norman then and that's one of the reasons that most of my movie going was in OKC even though I grew up there and didn't leave until after I started school at OU. Most of my parents' friends and relatives were in OKC so that's where we went most weekends. The theater situation improved a little when I was in college in the late 60's so I didn't have to leave town quite so much. Besides the Boomer there was a twin theater I could walk to from my fraternity house in the small shopping area just on the SW side of the campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I agree there weren't many options in Norman then and that's one of the reasons that most of my movie going was in OKC even though I grew up there and didn't leave until after I started school at OU. Most of my parents' friends and relatives were in OKC so that's where we went most weekends. The theater situation improved a little when I was in college in the late 60's so I didn't have to leave town quite so much. Besides the Boomer there was a twin theater I could walk to from my fraternity house in the small shopping area just on the SW side of the campus.
    You must remember the Berkowitz's...Wendy and her husband--and their Campus Corner antics...and the Gothic horror of a soda at Liberty Drug...you must have been a regular at the miniature golf course in that area as well...Heisman was the theaters (itty-bitty theaters with roll-up screens on a easel)...right?

You must remember the Berkowitz's...Wendy
    I remember a Wendy Berlowitz (I think) who was a grad assistant in the English department when I was in school at OU. One day she decided to read a poem to her class that I think she authored but I could have that part wrong. Apparently she felt the recitation would be more effective if she performed in the nude.

It pretty much made a significant impression on quite a few people as I recall.

Seems like she had a husband or boyfriend or something who was also rather unique and maybe a father or father-in-law or something that was a professor. But I no longer remember the details.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I remember a Wendy Berlowitz (I think) who was a grad assistant in the English department when I was in school at OU. One day she decided to read a poem to her class that I think she authored but I could have that part wrong. Apparently she felt the recitation would be more effective if she performed in the nude.

It pretty much made a significant impression on quite a few people as I recall.

Seems like she had a husband or boyfriend or something who was also rather unique and maybe a father or father-in-law or something that was a professor. But I no longer remember the details.
    Her husband was an acid-head back then--I think he either taught or did "research" (hysterical laughing) at OU...she auctioned her clothes one day on Campus Corner shortly after that incident in class--did get arrested for that...the Norman D.A. was miffed because none of the students who saw her disrobe in class were willing to press charges...

Her husband was an acid-head back then--I think he either taught or did "research" (hysterical laughing) at OU...she auctioned her clothes one day on Campus Corner shortly after that incident in class--did get arrested for that...the Norman D.A. was miffed because none of the students who saw her disrobe in class were willing to press charges...
    I am remembering a bit more as I think back. I think maybe the incident in the classroom happened after I graduated in 1970. I think it made the paper and maybe there was even a reporter present or something. Her husband was a genius kind of guy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I am remembering a bit more as I think back. I think maybe the incident in the classroom happened after I graduated in 1970. I think it made the paper and maybe there was even a reporter present or something. Her husband was a genius kind of guy I think.
    The incident happened in 1970, I think...her husband was another of those so-called "bright" people who accomplished nothing and was a drug-crazed lunatic--as was she--to a lesser extent. They were last seen by me--panhandling on Campus Corner...

The incident happened in 1970, I think...her husband was another of those so-called "bright" people who accomplished nothing and was a drug-crazed lunatic--as was she--to a lesser extent. They were last seen by me--panhandling on Campus Corner...
    This all so funny .... I haven't come across anyone who remembers the Berlowitzes in ages. Wendy's shtick on Campus Corner was that she was protesting the permissibility of men to be shirtless, while women could not. So, in protest, she'd go topless there. "Making a statement," you know ........... I was a student at OSU at the time and we were all disappointed that nothing so entertaining happened in Stillwater.

You must remember the Berkowitz's...Wendy and her husband--and their Campus Corner antics...and the Gothic horror of a soda at Liberty Drug...you must have been a regular at the miniature golf course in that area as well...Heisman was the theaters (itty-bitty theaters with roll-up screens on a easel)...right?
    Exactly, I do remember all of that. Most of it had been put back in a dark corner of my mind for many years, though. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Exactly, I do remember all of that. Most of it had been put back in a dark corner of my mind for many years, though. LOL
    No doubt you repressed it...and not a bad idea...

Thread Information