Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Name our new AHL team

1. Default Re: Name our new AHL team

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    After several weeks of brainstorming, I've come up with a name which I think will satisfy all concerned parties:

"Lazers"
    I think we have a winner.

Default Re: Name our new AHL team

I dont know i still like the name borrowed in part from the defunct USFL Oklahoma OutLaws...Oklahoma City OutLaws.....

Not sure I ever said 'the hardcore fans will be able to carry this team financially'. Of course we need to appeal to the walk-up fans.

In the same way the successful San Antonio Rampage do not. How that team survives is a mystery.

I prefer a name that is orginial. Not a copy of a previous team in any professional sports are a knock off of the 49ers or 76ers... Since I love horses, much better than any cow, I like the name Stallions. Use red as the primary color, and maybe add some wings to the stallion... Think Mobil...

When is Prodigal Hockey LLC planning on going public with the AHL OKC team name. Its been over a month and a half and still no word on this?.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
    Since I love horses, much better than any cow, I like the name Stallions. Use red as the primary color, and maybe add some wings to the stallion... Think Mobil...
    Change it from red to pink, add a horn and you have a unicorn. The Oklahoma City Unicorns. Laugh if you want, but you know we would totally kick everybody else's ass in the coveted six-to-ten-year-old female demographic.

OK! Well according to OilFieldHockey.com and Twitter, the word is out that the new AHL hockey team affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers here in OKC will be the Oklahoma City Barons. Now Im not sure if this is 100% written stone, however it seems to be as true as true can be. According to OilFieldHockey.com, there saying that the official name annoucement will be in a few weeks. Im assuming that Prodigal will go public on their website soon as well. But it looks like it possibly is true, ITS THE OKC Barons.

During the naming contest, this was one of my least fav names, I would have chosen the tornadoes, roughnecks, or the thunderbirds. Anyways this can be found once again on OilFieldHockey.com

^^ Barrons, was also in The running for The NBA(Thunder)team name!I like it better as a minor league name!so in this case it's not to bad!

Well, I am an avid hockey fan and look forward to seeing the OKC Barons play some competitive hockey coming up this fall, it will be an exciting inaugural season for the barons and for the players. Also though, there rumoring to keep the old blazers "B" on the new uniform sounds pretty cool, I think they should.

Oilfieldhockey is just saying that the name was leaked on twitter. But nothing was said about an announcement of the name. That came from the original twitter post, that was re-tweeted by Oilfieldhockey and others.

Blog Entries

I hope it's Barons, that would be a great name for this energy emerging city.

Cleveland's Barons of the Old American Hockey League and one year as the Barons of the National Hockey League (short-lived history); I wonder if there is going to be a problem with this name because it was previously a minor-major league name?

Can someone out there shed some light on this--did Cleveland possibly reserve this name for an eventual return to the AHL in the future?

Seattle has this right with the Supersonics?
    Last edited by Laramie; 05-05-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: additions...

The Cleveland Barons were moved to Worcester, Ma, and they have been the Sharks affiliate. The Lake Erie Monsters are in Cleveland, and are the primary affiliate of Colorado.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
    The Cleveland Barons were moved to Worcester, Ma, and they have been the Sharks affiliate. The Lake Erie Monsters are in Cleveland, and are the primary affiliate of Colorado.

Thanks HockeyFan4Life, that shoud leave the name Barons open.

Oklahoma City Barons

I'm sold!

14. Default Re: Name our new AHL team

works for me. ..

wow, just look at OKC's major league/pro sports contingent now:

NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
    AFL - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz (PLEASE CHANGE THIS NAME!!!!)
    AAA - Oklahoma City Redhawks (should be '89ers' though)
    AHL - Oklahoma City Barons
    other 'local' pro teams

guys, that is a full slate of sports where ALL are at or 'just below' the Major Professional Leagues. wow - who would have thought that 'minor league' OKC would have such a contingent; and ALL with OKLAHOMA CITY names. .... This is very impressive (would be moreso with a few name changes).

Add to that list OKC's contingent of college sports:

OU - Football (might as well be NFL)
    OU other sports
    OSU sports
    Oklahoma City University sports (reportedly to be moving up to NCAA)
    University of Central Oklahoma sports
    local colleges (SNU, Rose State, etc).

with all of this, OKC press had better get much better in broadcasting and reporting as well as promoting all of these teams and events.

I must say, I am very looking forward to OCU moving up to NCAA and having their basketball games played at the Cox Convention Center. Can you imagine? Oklahoma City with a MAJOR LEAGUE team (NBA) AND two MAJOR NCAA teams..... wow - could that be matched by ANY other metro of similar size?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

there will be no problems with cleveland
    the ahl coming here is great i grew up watching and then working for a ahl foe the grand rapids griffins

Well, whatever the name is, Im wondering what the holdup is on going public with the name. I have called Prodigal hockey a few times since Feb, to no avail and Im wondering when all the souveneirs will go on sale. Im sure theres all to be done during the summer and time is counting down.

Remember that it just isn't us fans here in OKC, there are alot of Oilers'(and I don't mean Tulsa) fans that are very interested too.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    How about the Naturals? Natural gas, natural resources, natural friendliness, natural people.
    arkansas would kick our ass over that, they are the natural state, not us.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlight View Post
    I like the Oklahoma City Wind.

Oh lord, I can already hear the ESPN commentators over this one

"Well, it looks like tonight Vancouver is going to have a hard time trying to defeat Oklahoma City in this fierce competition,..yet the question among fans remains the same....Can the Canucks break the Wind?"

i swear im gonna slap the next person who thinks Barons is a great name for Oklahoma's hockey team. Would the hell would be our mascots?, Snoopy & Woodstock??

Theres not an incredibly large French population in Oklahoma, there is in Louisiana, but not here.

i know Mr. Smooth thinks its dumb to have any name that even mildly associates itself with reknown elements of a specific region, feeling it to be overly stereotypical...but going out on a limb to name our team something that were entirely not is just plain silliness.

i did some homework here and even looked up Barons, and im sorry, Im just not seeing the vaguest of relevance to it having anything to do with Oklahoma at all.

Baron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..and Baroness is a character from G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
    I prefer a name that is orginial. Not a copy of a previous team in any professional sports are a knock off of the 49ers or 76ers... Since I love horses, much better than any cow, I like the name Stallions. Use red as the primary color, and maybe add some wings to the stallion... Think Mobil...

yeah, Stallions would be a cool name. giving our team name to an animal is appropriate being that theres already a good amount of nhl teams that already exist being named after animals:

panthers, coyotes, thrashers, ducks, sharks, penguins, etc.

besides our own historic land run couldnt have been as successful (talking bout them blasted sooners here) if it wasnt for the diligence of horses beating the gun. so themm sneaky sooners could set up their stakes everywhere , not to mention the overnight founding of Oklahoma City itself. ...horses deserve the honor..hauling all our ancestors and their belongings so we could settle upon this land we call Oklahoma...., Stallions is an excellent name idea in my book.

This is NOT official just a idea of a jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    i did some homework here and even looked up Barons, and im sorry, Im just not seeing the vaguest of relevance to it having anything to do with Oklahoma at all.
    never heard of "oil barons"?

24. Default Re: Name our new AHL team

The Barons team name announcement was called a hoax at our forum as well....

OKC AHL Team Name - OKCHockey.com

The announcement may be a hoax, but there is a domain registered to Prodigal Hockey. Do a WHOIS search on oklahomacitybarons.com. Then do another WHOIS search on prodigalhockey.com, and the information is the same.

Thread Information