Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where is the best philly cheese steak?

Default where is the best philly cheese steak?

edmond guy here. watching the travel channel on food hot spots. i want a philly cheese steak now. i refuse to go to charleys steakery place. they have screwed up badly once for me and that was more than enough. a friend had metal shavings in hers at a different location. so no way ever again. the only place ive had the best philly so far is at the river oaks golf course. but its private and i havent worked there since i left for the navy. where else can i go?

Default Re: where is the best philly cheese steak?

Quote Originally Posted by americasfuture2k View Post
    edmond guy here. watching the travel channel on food hot spots. i want a philly cheese steak now. i refuse to go to charleys steakery place. they have screwed up badly once for me and that was more than enough. a friend had metal shavings in hers at a different location. so no way ever again. the only place ive had the best philly so far is at the river oaks golf course. but its private and i havent worked there since i left for the navy. where else can i go?
    Have you tried Jersey Mikes

charley's has a mean philly chicken...

well, lets see, there is Texadelphia down in Norman. I've heard from friends that their cheese steak is good. I've always had their nachos and drank beer there, never tried one. So I can't speak from first-hand experience.

I'll second hearing that Texadelphia here in Norman has one that folks seem to enjoy, but I don't order it myself. I never could wrap my brain around diluting the flavor of good meat and cheese with peppers and onions. Lots of other choices in the world, so I manage just fine.

5. Default Re: where is the best philly cheese steak?

The Seven Deli downtown and Hobby's Hoagies. Good lord, Charlie's Steakery at the mall? That's like looking to Sabaro's for good Italian pizza!

As an avid fan of good cheese steaks....

I'll start off by saying if you have a chance to go to Tulsa go to Steak Stuffers, you will not be disappointed. In fact Ive been to genos and pats in philly and steak stuffers easily beats both of them.

But if you cant get out of okc i would recommend going to Dan McGuinness in moore and ordering their 'roast beef au jus'. I know it doesn't say philly cheese steak but is near identical to it, just with a side of au jus.
    You will not be disappointed.

The Menu | Dan McGuinness - Moore

I'll have to second the Jersey Mikes suggestion. Haven't tried any of the others posted here but know JM's is good.

Hobby's theyhave one DT and even in boring Edmond. Please adventure away from the national chains edmond guy

Freddies Frozen Custard makes a decent one. Not the best I've ever had, but much better than Charlies.

10. Default Re: where is the best philly cheese steak?

Support your locally-owned restaurants!

I agree for the most part Steve. I know the Jersey Mikes in MWC is a locally owned franchise, but they have proven to be very civic minded and provide food to many schools and local clubs to help the community. In return I try to eat there when I can. That, plus the foods really good.

12. Default Re: where is the best philly cheese steak?

hobby's hoagies in edmond. hands down best philly.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I never could wrap my brain around diluting the flavor of good meat and cheese with peppers and onions.
    Really? Outside of a quality thick steak, peppers and onions make everything better.

Hobby's has a good Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    hobby's hoagies in edmond. hands down best philly.
    Yep...I totally agree!

I hate to say this, and I LOVE Hobby's Hoagies..but the philly at Jersey Mike's is better, but not by much. Now, for an Italian Hoagie, you must go to HH, and yes, please do support them! Even if the philly is slightly better at Jersey Mike's, I always get mine at HH. Its also cheaper at HH. Go to the one downtown if you're not near Edmond. 325 N Walker.

Other than that I've not really had any luck finding a good one here worth mentioning :-(

I think Jersey Mikes has the best in the area. I go with the chipotle cheese steak.

What I really want to know is, is anyone here in OKC making a "Philly wit wiz". For those of you non Philadelphia eating Philly's, that's a cheesesteak with Cheezewiz. Authentic ones will come with either wiz or provolone. I prefter ones with Cheezewiz. Haven't found one in the 405 yet besides making one at home.

honest question... are we talking actual cheezwhiz or just any cheese flavored sauce? i just don't see how straight-up cheezwhiz could be all that good.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    honest question... are we talking actual cheezwhiz or just any cheese flavored sauce? i just don't see how straight-up cheezwhiz could be all that good.

-M
    I don't like cheezwhiz normally. But on a philly cheesesteak, that is how it is done. And its GOOD. Anything else is just a pale imitation. Or its just a cheese steak.

When I worked for a pizzeria as a kid, we used to melt provolone on the cheesesteaks as well. That is also an acceptable substitute, depending on who you ask ;-)

Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich, How To Make A Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich, History of Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich <- and the photo was taken by a guy in OKC ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    What I really want to know is, is anyone here in OKC making a "Philly wit wiz". For those of you non Philadelphia eating Philly's, that's a cheesesteak with Cheezewiz. Authentic ones will come with either wiz or provolone. I prefter ones with Cheezewiz. Haven't found one in the 405 yet besides making one at home.
    What kind of rolls do you use?

Exactly JerzeeGrl, at least someone around here knows what a TRUE philly is. A steak wit wiz. Usually just some sort of hard italian roll that's a little soft in the middle. Then, eat it with a "Philadelphia Lean". Man, I know what I'm going to the store for and making for dinner tonight.

Thanks metro! Now to get technical, I do believe that a true philly cheese steak should be served on a somewhat soft roll, I'm not sure how to describe it, but its sort of mildly soft and lumpy on the outside (not too soft though, just not a hard crunchy Italian roll) and very soft in the middle.

Now that we're on the topic of authenticity, I don't remember if Jersey Mike's does it right (soft roll and cheese steak wit whiz). I just know that it tastes delicious (and really, authenticity aside, that is what really matters).

Yum after all this talk I really want to head over and support the corporate brethren from my homeland and do some investigation ;-). I should also head to HH for the comparison. I wish they were open for breakfast. You can see that my 2010 resolution to eat healthier is not working out as planned...

Technically they claim a hard Italian roll to sop up all the greasiness which in turn, makes the roll soft. I'm like you, I prefer a softer roll. Usually a french or italian roll, a little toasted on the outside and soft on the inside. EIther way, good stuff. Let me know if Jersey Mikes has Cheese Whiz, I don't think they do, or at least i haven't seen it there when I was there several months back.

all this talk about cheese steak not only got me to go out and buy the stuff to make my own, but to drive to tulsa today to eat at steak stuffers. (since its a holiday)

Thread Information