Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic

1. Default Re: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    I wouldn't say that was an "odd time" - you showed up 15 minutes before the start of the Michigan State vs. Butler Final Four game. :-)

I was there at the same time (to watch the game). Our booth sat 5 people pretty comfortably. The service was excellent. Not a lot of food choices for vegetarians. I too was served the Maharajah in the tulip glass. I don't know what was up with their big projector setup - it seemed to only be hitting about 15 FPS. The other TVs were beautiful though. We had a great time and will certainly go back, probably after they start taking reservations again (I'm not exactly known for my patience).
    Ha, true! And you're right, that big projector was annoying, almost made you motion sick to watch...but all those other TVs in there, glorious HD heaven!

Scottish ales, barleywines, Belgian ales and other aromatic beers
    Wiki lists those are proper beers for tulip glasses...I guess the chocolate stout might be considered aromatic?

Default Re: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post

Wiki lists those are proper beers for tulip glasses...I guess the chocolate stout might be considered aromatic?

Well, I’m asking about it over on Beeradvocate.com in the Republic thread and being told that it is an ‘acceptable’ glass to serve it in. Chase, from COOP, seems to have info that the brewer recommends a pint glass for that specific beer…… and I see at least one other BA that I recognize as being fairly knowledgeable about beer commenting that it’s his opinion that IPAs and stouts should be served in pint glasses and I have to agree.

Save the tulips for Belgians and barley wines as far as I’m concerned……

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    I wouldn't say that was an "odd time" - you showed up 15 minutes before the start of the Michigan State vs. Butler Final Four game. :-)

I don't know what was up with their big projector setup - it seemed to only be hitting about 15 FPS. The other TVs were beautiful though. We had a great time and will certainly go back, probably after they start taking reservations again (I'm not exactly known for my patience).
    I apologize for the projector problems. The main receiver was bad, we are waiting on a new one. This is our main receiver; it controls the bathrooms and vestibule as well. We should be ready to go by this wekend...thanks for all of the comments!

4. Default Re: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I apologize for the projector problems. The main receiver was bad, we are waiting on a new one. This is our main receiver; it controls the bathrooms and vestibule as well. We should be ready to go by this wekend...thanks for all of the comments!
    No need to apologize, Tuck!

Actually, maybe an apology for all the success you're apparently having! I want it to be easier to get a table.

I have been to Republic twice and the first time was very nice. My son and I sat at the bar and all was incredible except for the trendy bartender (Shannon?) with the goatee who made us feel like we needed to apologize to him for having to wait on us. The food was excellent, the beer was very fresh and cold, but hire Hailey from the Drunken to see how a bartender should handle their customers. The second time I went was on a Tuesday night with my wife. All the tables were full, but there was no one standing. The very personable and polite hostess said it would be a 45 minute wait. We opted not to stay and my wife commented "they did not want us there". I told her that was not the case, but maybe the hostess could say "We have several people waiting at the bar, could we get you a drink while you wait?" Jus saying.

LOL, I ripped on Shannon over on the Beeradvocate.com site too - resulting in a 180 of attitude from him on subsequent visits, but I can relate.

Hailey is really something, huh? It's like she has a genuine concern for her customers. I like her!

7. Default Re: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    LOL, I ripped on Shannon over on the Beeradvocate.com site too - resulting in a 180 of attitude from him on subsequent visits, but I can relate.

Hailey is really something, huh? It's like she has a genuine concern for her customers. I like her!
    I have no idea about her technical drink-making skill and knowledge, but she's the best bartender in OKC, for my money.

8. Default Re: Republic

Thanks for the kind words about Hailey. I know it means a lot to her because she really loves what she does. I've always noticed she takes every experience personally.

After working with her for years I'm still learning from her.

9. Default Re: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfry View Post
    Thanks for the kind words about Hailey. I know it means a lot to her because she really loves what she does. I've always noticed she takes every experience personally.

After working with her for years I'm still learning from her.
    Man, every bartender could learn from her!

Hows the atmosphere when the Thunder games are on? I assume its crazy!

I went during the first Thunder game. It was packed, but the atmosphere wasn't nuts. That is probably attributable to the Thunder never really leading in the game and the Lakers controlling it. This next game should make the atmosphere a bit more electric.

Same here, but I left at halftime. It was starting to get packed as time went on during the 1st half, but it definitely wasn't sports fan crazy. I think my wife and I and a few other people outside were the only people there to specifically watch the game and eat. The general crowd was more about the yuppie bar crowd hitting on chicks and whatnot.

This place basically seems to have inherited Flip's clientele, which might be something of a disappointment for those concerned less with networking and being seen than with the quality of the cooking.

I've generally enjoyed everything I've eaten here though. Considering that they're still working out kinks, I've been perfectly pleased with both the food and the service. It's a good concept for the city, so I'm hopeful for continued success and perhaps even some new menu items added down the road.

The two occasions I have been to Republic have both been great. Couldn't ask for better food quality and presentation, and the wait staff were really on their game despite a clearly hectic atmosphere.

Aesthetically, it's all well executed - but if you haven't been yet, get ready to watch some teevee. For real - They're everywhere, at every glance. Especially the big one over the bar ... if SkyNet ever becomes self aware, it'll probably happen here first. But resting in a comfy booth, after a few Zepplelin's and some potato skins, even they fade into the background.

Also, it's a small thing ... I couldn't help wonder who's going to dust all those bottles along the bar? Brought back teenage memories of keeping the flair tidy when I was a busboy at La Roca back in the day.

http://gallery.me.com/mikey1976#100039

My husband and I went to RePUBlic for the first time last Saturday afternoon at about 4:00. It was pretty busy for what seemed like a non-peak time, but there were a few empty seats at the bar. We grabbed a couple and waited for one of the four bartenders to come by. Two of them stood around watching TV, and a third came by twice to check on the couple seated immediately to our right, with no acknowledgment of our presence. We eventually got up and left after about ten minutes, without any of the bartenders even giving us a beer list.

How disappointing. I was really, really looking forward to checking this place out, since the menu looked appealing, the beer list impressive, and I adore the other restaurants in the A Good Egg group. Maybe our bad experience could be chalked up to simply getting the initial kinks worked out, but it sounds like a couple other people have had similar experiences.

16. Default Re: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by mheaton76 View Post
    if SkyNet ever becomes self aware, it'll probably happen here first.

I'm going tonight for the game. My second visit. Going to get the burger this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seddy View Post
    My husband and I went to RePUBlic for the first time last Saturday afternoon at about 4:00. It was pretty busy for what seemed like a non-peak time, but there were a few empty seats at the bar. We grabbed a couple and waited for one of the four bartenders to come by. Two of them stood around watching TV, and a third came by twice to check on the couple seated immediately to our right, with no acknowledgment of our presence. We eventually got up and left after about ten minutes, without any of the bartenders even giving us a beer list.

How disappointing. I was really, really looking forward to checking this place out, since the menu looked appealing, the beer list impressive, and I adore the other restaurants in the A Good Egg group. Maybe our bad experience could be chalked up to simply getting the initial kinks worked out, but it sounds like a couple other people have had similar experiences.

I wish more of you would have bad experiences and never come back because those of us who love the place can't get a table.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Earl View Post
    I wish more of you would have bad experiences and never come back because those of us who love the place can't get a table.
    Maybe its not so bad anymore...we called ahead before heading out the door, and they said it would be a half hour (but no guarantees). We got there and a table for 2 opened up as soon as we walked through the door (and we happened to be next on the list because we called ahead). This was at 8pm on a Friday.

Food was AWESOME!!!! And they have the best dessert EVER...Young's Double Chocolate Stout Ice Cream Float....

19. Default Re: Republic

I love the "pretzel buns" on the burgers!

20. Default Re: Republic

I had a Belle Isle burger last night and the potato skins for an app. Just awesome. Amazing burger.

Thought I should share a word of praise for Shannon over at Republic…..guy has really gone out of his way to make me feel welcome there. Took me to see the kegs a week or so ago and was eager to show me the new beers that they got in last night on a visit to celebrate a friend’s birthday.

The cute little curly haired blonde is always wonderful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    I had a Belle Isle burger last night and the potato skins for an app. Just awesome. Amazing burger.
    The potato skins are unreal. That truffle oil or whatever they put on it makes all the difference.

23. Default Re: Republic

I was there for one of the Thunder playoff games and was extremely impressed. I could not believe the A/V setup. It's great to know we have this in Oklahoma City. Nobody else compares. In fact, I've never seen a better A/V setup anywhere. It's like watching basketball on movie theater screens. (Well...not quite...but darn close). Seriously though, Republic is one cool place.

I've been there a few times and like it. They describe themselves as a pub but it is far from it. It's also different than most sports bars due to the food selection and the beer selection. For sports it is a good set up.

25. Default Re: Republic

Technically, they describe themselves as a gastropub.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The potato skins are unreal. That truffle oil or whatever they put on it makes all the difference.
    Oh yes! Best potato skins I have ever had.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information