Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic

Default Re: Republic

My first complaint (maybe not "complaint", but not necessarily a positive)...

The website has a tab for reservations and provides for online reservations through Open Table as well as the contact number. Open Table will allow you to make a reservation for some dates and times, but when I called and spoke to the mumbling, less-than-helpful guy who answered the phone he unapologetically says they don't take reservations.

I made a Republic reservation on Open Table tonight. Are you saying they said they won't honor it?

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    I made a Republic reservation on Open Table tonight. Are you saying they said they won't honor it?
    Not sure, Millie. I just double-checked Open Table, and see that they do show reservations available for Republic on some nights and times, but I am absolutely certain that when I called the guy on the phone said they don't take reservations. I didn't even specify a date or time, so it wasn't a matter of him telling me they didn't have availability for a specific request. It was an unequivocal response to a question of whether they accepted reservations.

Might be worth a call to them to find out whether they will honor it. Let us know how it works out.

**And to the extent my prior post says Open Table wouldn't allow me to make a reservation, I stand corrected. It does appear that you can make a res for some dates and times. Sorry for the misstatement - I went back and corrected my post.

4. Default Re: Republic

A question for those that have eaten there - what sides come with the meals? A coworker and I were looking over the menu, but didn't see where sides were really mentioned. Do the burgers come with fries, or do you have to buy them separately?

Fries are an extra $3.00 with your burger. I had dinner there on Tuesday night. I ordered the scotch egg, which was good but a bit dry; the "three pigs" platter, which was good, except my pork belly was cold (could have sat out too long), with skillet potatoes (which were too bland), and a pub pretzel with beer cheese fondue (for a third course instead of dessert). Overall it was a good meal and experience, they were jammed... would definitely return and try some other items, as everything that I saw come out of the kitchen looked good.

Most new restaurants when opening won't allow you to make reservations for the first few weeks. I'm pretty sure after a couple week's they'll allow you to do so with OpenTable. Knowing that this concept is probably going to be packed every night with walk-ins, there is no need for additional reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by liirogue View Post
    A question for those that have eaten there - what sides come with the meals? A coworker and I were looking over the menu, but didn't see where sides were really mentioned. Do the burgers come with fries, or do you have to buy them separately?
    Yes, the sides are extra, and awesome! Just like Red Prime, most items are ala carte. The fish and chips did come with the fries though, but the burgers you order a side seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Most new restaurants when opening won't allow you to make reservations for the first few weeks. I'm pretty sure after a couple week's they'll allow you to do so with OpenTable. Knowing that this concept is probably going to be packed every night with walk-ins, there is no need for additional reservations.
    The issue is that they are accepting reservations via OpenTable now, but (according to positano) are telling people who call on the phone that they do not take reservations. I made a reservation there the other day for Saturday evening because it seemed like a great place to drink good beer, eat a nice meal, and watch basketball. My confirmation email from OpenTable reads, "Your OpenTable reservation is confirmed at Republic Gastropub." and includes a confirmation number, so I would be quite displeased to get there and find out that I didn't have a table.

Do you have to be 21 to get in period or just for the bar area?

No, I've seen a number of families there eating....

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    No, I've seen a number of families there eating....
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Sorry if my point was unclear. I was just commenting on the fact that the website provides for a means to make reservations, which in application is inconsistent (at least according to the person who answered the phone). That point notwithstanding, I've made many reservations at new restaurants in the first few weeks. If the folks that made reservations through Open Table have their reservations honored, then I don't understand your point, as that it would appear that they are taking reservations.

All beside the point - I'm still headed that way, with or without a res...

Thanks for all of the comments on Republic. We have had a few problems with Open Table. To clear it all up: We are no longer taking reservations until further notice; however, if you did make one online or by phone, it WILL be honored.

I hope to see you there soon.

14. Default Re: Republic

tuck, thanks for the update, which I think is all anyone really expects. You've built up a lot of goodwill and that can go a long way on snags like this

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    tuck, thanks for the update, which I think is all anyone really expects. You've built up a lot of goodwill and that can go a long way on snags like this
    Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Absolutely.

17. Default Re: Republic

I was hoping hit it up tonight or this weekend...but seeing as it was pretty packed at 615PM yesterday, I don't know when I'll be able to get in! Maybe lunch Saturday...

We went lastnight ~7:30. There were only 4 people in line and they said it would be a 1.5 hour wait... so I turned to talk to my wife about it. She had already turned and walked outside. "Huh? What is up?" - "It smells like the cadaver lab my freshman year in medical school. I had to leave." She had a point, it didn't smell clinical in there. Food did look good coming out though. We will give it time to air out and slow down before we go back.

Congrats! I think that is the oddest food review ever.

Had lunch at Republic today after dinner at Sean Cummings last night. Culture shock! LOL! They were both so great though. Didn't notice any strange smell at Republic. Got there about 2 and they were 2/3 full. Had a Coop Zeppelin and the fish and chips - excellent! Will definitely be back often - too much I want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDenver View Post
    We went lastnight ~7:30. There were only 4 people in line and they said it would be a 1.5 hour wait... so I turned to talk to my wife about it. She had already turned and walked outside. "Huh? What is up?" - "It smells like the cadaver lab my freshman year in medical school. I had to leave." She had a point, it didn't smell clinical in there. Food did look good coming out though. We will give it time to air out and slow down before we go back.
    I felt like I was reading something out of a novel

22. Default Re: Republic

i think it will be great to watch some okc playoff games here. very cool place.
    didnt stay, tho. the wait was over 2 hrs last night.

23. Default Re: Republic

We jumped in at an odd time on Saturday, around 445 or so. Needed a table for two and were told an hour and a half wait. We managed to find a place at the bar. Had a COOP Gran Sport Porter, scotch egg, and the lollypop buffalo wings. All were great...the egg was a little weird to me, but I don't really like eggs in any form other than scrambled. The atmosphere was compeltely awesome. I'll be back ASAP to eat a full meal!

I went five nights last week – lol. I’m a self proclaimed beer nerd and enjoyed seeing such a high end beer bar open here. I like to hit nice beer bars when I get the chance to travel and Republic is top notch.

I know a lot of the ‘beer nerds’ are big on proper glassware. For me personally – give me a full 16oz pint glass and I’m happy for most of the beers that I enjoy. Kudos for serving honest pints!

I was actually served a Young’s Double Chocolate Stout in a tulip glass – which I disputed as being the proper glassware and was told that I would have to take it up with Jason – who is in charge of the beverages I assume. I can’t begin to imagine why a stout would be served in a tulip. At McNellies for instance – that beer for the same $6 is served in a 20oz Imperial Pint glass. I was also served the Avery Maharaja in both the 16oz pint glass and a tulip over the course of the week. Obviously, I prefer the pint glass – though I can see how it might be acceptable in a tulip – I prefer the full 16oz serving myself. If I’m going to be given the choice I will request the pint in the future.

Overall though – considering how crazy busy it was….. it was reasonably smooth sailing. I likely won’t be there nearly so often, but I will certainly be in from time to time to see how it’s going and hopefully find something interesting on the beer menu to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    We jumped in at an odd time on Saturday, around 445 or so. Needed a table for two and were told an hour and a half wait.
    I wouldn't say that was an "odd time" - you showed up 15 minutes before the start of the Michigan State vs. Butler Final Four game. :-)

I was there at the same time (to watch the game). Our booth sat 5 people pretty comfortably. The service was excellent. Not a lot of food choices for vegetarians. I too was served the Maharajah in the tulip glass. I don't know what was up with their big projector setup - it seemed to only be hitting about 15 FPS. The other TVs were beautiful though. We had a great time and will certainly go back, probably after they start taking reservations again (I'm not exactly known for my patience).

Thread Information