Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cajun King

Default Cajun King

This morning someone came by my office handing out flyers for a new restaurant that just opened called Cajun King. They're located at 5816 NW 63rd, in the little strip center East of MacArthur where Wellington Pancake House used to be. The flyer says it's "N'awlins style Cajun buffet" and today is their grand opening. They gave away free lunch, and they're giving away free food for dinner from 5pm to 8pm.

Our receptionist went & brought me back a boxed sampling of some of their items. I was pleasantly surprised! I tried the red beans & rice, blackened chicken pasta, potatoes au gratin, & a piece of southern fried chicken. I'm absolutely stuffed! lol. The batter on the chicken is really good...kinda sweet & spicy. All in all the food tastes very homemade...like going to Grandma's for Sunday dinner, not like going to a restaurant. I can't comment on the interior or anything else since the food was brought to me but I'm definitely going to try it again.

Default Re: Cajun King

I can't wait to try it. I've been waiting for a good cajun restaurant to come to town. I don't have any reason to go to Louisiana for cajun food now that my brother moved back from there.

A few of my coworkers & I went that same evening for dinner. We're all in agreement that we'll be back. It's definitely not the fanciest place in the world...a little bit dingy inside, really. But the food was good, that's all that really matters in the long run. They didn't have their full menu available but everything we tried was good. We're not sure if they will have ONLY buffet or what. I do know that they will have an omlette station for build your own omlettes (I guess kinda like mongolian bbq...put your ingredients together & hand over to the chef for cooking).

mmmm...sounds good!

Blog Entries

Default Cajun King, Oklahoma City

If you're looking for some really melt in your mouth catfish; the Cajun King is your answer. Believe me, grandma could leave her teeth at home in her jar on the nightstand--let them soak a full 24 hours.

These guys really throw down on some 'Louisiana style Cajun cuisine' soul foul that would bring back memories of Justin Wilson. Spinach (steam & salad) that would make Magoo see 20/20 vision.

J. Wellington Wimpy wouldn't dare to ask to pay you Tuesday for some Cajun King today.

If you like home town soul food: Catfish, Southern Fried Chicken, cabbage, collard greens, pinto, red rice & beans, jambalaya, black-eye peas, cornbread...

Yes, and for all you tub-in-a-bucket like figures out there, they have an all you can eat buffet. Suggest that you check out their websites.

Been there, Done that....Not a fan although the catfish is good, I'll givem that.

They did not last in Norman but a year and a half in "11-12. I was underwelmed the times I ate there.

8. Default Re: Cajun King

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    They did not last in Norman but a year and a half in "11-12. I was underwelmed the times I ate there.
    Nothing has lasted very long in that location. I worked there when it was Bellini's and Red River Ranch? (same partner with Tommy Bird owned both iterations). I have a feeling it was built on top of an Indian burial ground or something, not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement just saying that I think the location itself helped the demise.

Yeah I personally thought it was overrated when I ate there too. Catfish was good but everything else on the buffet was pretty weak.

Wish they were still in Norman. Miss the catfish, a lot. The rest was ok, but perhaps it's greatest claim was to tempt you to eat something more than the catfish.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Nothing has lasted very long in that location. I worked there when it was Bellini's and Red River Ranch? (same partner with Tommy Bird owned both iterations). I have a feeling it was built on top of an Indian burial ground or something, not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement just saying that I think the location itself helped the demise.
    I went to there when it was a Chinese buffet and Cajun King. Can confirm haunted area and many restaurants were there.

Yeah, the long closed Norman location finally banished the evil food demons, or surrendered to them perhaps.

It became a retail spot for lumber liquidators. Whether the spirits now rearrange 2*4 stacks for kicks or moved on to haunt a new location is unknown.

Then again, they may have taken up residence in the eatery that never opened on the lake by Chili's. It did recently sell off.

Hey libjab, if you have an issue with me personally, please PM me.

I neglected to snap a picture, but it looks like Cajun King is taking over the former Pancho's buffet location in south OKC, at 2166 SW 74th St. They already have a new monument sign up. Not sure when they plan to open, but I'm excited that I won't have to go all the way up to the NW side to get some amazing Cajun food!

that can't be good news for 'the crawfish pot' just a couple doors down.

Good news for me though! Crawfish Pot just doesn't get the job done for me, Pier 88 across the street even less so. While the Razoo's menu looks good, my only thought in that thread was "why would I drive past Cajun King to get there?".

Nice addition for the south side. I used to hit up the one on the NW side and really enjoyed the buffet lunch

A little more info after I asked them on Facebook about it: The I-240 store will be a second location for Cajun King, and they expect to open it in December. It will have "some differences", according to the message they sent, but they did not elaborate further. They plan to post more about it in the coming weeks on their Facebook page, apparently.

This is awesome, it’s near my house. Crawfish Pot is good too though, hope they both make it.

So... They missed their opening deadline by a couple of months, but according to their Facebook page, Cajun King opened their new location on I-240 today. Going to have to check it out this weekend to make sure it's as good as the northside location!

https://www.facebook.com/23735695629...e=3&permPage=1

21. Default Re: Cajun King

Awww yeah! I love their place on the N. Side, but that's a bit of a drive for me for lunch. This new location will be great.

tried to go for lunch today but they were closed due to electrical issues... hopefully they get that sorted out quickly.

Missed target date by two months, less than 10 days to Mardi Gras, and closed for repairs one day after opening? That can't be good. Just how trashed WAS Pancho's?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Missed target date by two months, less than 10 days to Mardi Gras, and closed for repairs one day after opening? That can't be good. Just how trashed WAS Pancho's?
    After Pancho's, the building was host to El Buen Gusto - a Salvadorean restaurant - for a year or two... but I don't think they left the building any worse for wear. Perhaps the Cajun King crew wanted a significant reconfiguration of the space?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Think they must have forgotten to raise the flag for help.

Thread Information