Widgets Magazine

Thread: This is why Tulsa is broke....

Default This is why Tulsa is broke....

Water works director making $172,000 a year??? Really???

City Councilor Jack Henderson said Tuesday that all employees who make more than the mayor's $105,000 salary should have their pay dropped to that level to help alleviate budget cuts.

"How can we have people working for the city of Tulsa who make more than the mayor?" Henderson asked during council committee meetings.

"Be for real. We need to start at the top with the high-dollar salaries when we're cutting."

Tulsa World: Tulsa councilor questions higher city salaries

Default Re: This is why Tulsa is broke....

I agree, salaries need to be cut before jobs. I know I'd rather get my salary cut than lose my jobs & benefits. Tulsa can avert lay-offs if they cut salaries and then raise them again once sales tax revenue improves. I think the plummeting sales tax revenue in the city has been a wake-up call that the suburbs are really hitting Tulsa hard with their new retail and dining establishments and that Tulsa needs to step up to not only retain residents but also sales tax revenue.

Red face Re: This is why Tulsa is broke....

Who is paid more, Boren and Hargis OR Stoops and Gundy? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaryone View Post
    Who is paid more, Boren and Hargis OR Stoops and Gundy? Just curious.
    1. Stoops
    2. Gundy
    3. Boren
    4. Hargis

Anyone following the story there where 147 FireFighters jobs are on the chopping block? SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FFLady View Post
    Anyone following the story there where 147 FireFighters jobs are on the chopping block? SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sad, but unfortunately it's a sign of the times and I fear the worst is yet to come. They were offered the chance to take a pay cut to save jobs, however, they voted against pay cuts.

Tell the whole story rc, they would have taken the cuts if the city had promised, in writing that they wouldn't lay anyone off. But the city wouldn't agree to that. You're only trying , like the city, to make it look as if the fire department employees are greedy. BTW,as of yesterday afternoon it looks as if a deal has been reached.

Quote Originally Posted by lump9816 View Post
    Tell the whole story rc, they would have taken the cuts if the city had promised, in writing that they wouldn't lay anyone off. But the city wouldn't agree to that. You're only trying , like the city, to make it look as if the fire department employees are greedy. BTW,as of yesterday afternoon it looks as if a deal has been reached.
    Get up on the wrong side of the bed ? A bit touchy aren't we!!

Not at all, just putting the story out there city hall and the mayor won't.

10. Default Re: This is why Tulsa is broke....

lump, I have no real knowledge of the situation but I would imagine that unless someone in city hall had a crystal ball to be able to forcast the future finances of the city, the city couldn't put that sort of agreement on paper. Who knows if and when things will improve - they might get even worse and they would have been forced to lay people off no matter what.

No argument here mug. Just saying that the mayor is portraying that the unions stance is that the union would sacrifice their own rather than take pay cuts, and that was not the truth.

No argument here mug. Just saying that the mayor is portraying that the unions stance is that the union would sacrifice their own rather than take pay cuts, and that was not the truth.

Not for the Police and Fire (as of today), but AFSCME did exactly that, voted down a reduction in salary and opted for layoffs.

Ok, not ture now.
    The Tulsa FOP (police Union) did vote to take the layoff rather than a pay reduction of .13%.................

Do you mean 13%?

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    Do you mean 13%?
    Yes

Gubbmit' jobs are good ones if you can get 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Gubbmit' jobs are good ones if you can get 'em.
    I agree, had one for 27 plus years, retired in 2006 with great benefits.

Thread Information