Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: school closings?

1. Default school closings?

Edmond schools closed today, OKC schools closed today and tomorrow..

seriously?

Default Re: school closings?

yep. it was said on the radio that the school districts take into account how many kids have to walk to and from school and then factor that into their decision.

pretty dumb though.

In my day, way back in 1983, Putnam City schools wouldn't close unless it was raining fire and brimstone. Now, if it gets chilly - they close the schools? Heck, the roads were dry this morning!

4. Default Re: school closings?

What is wrong with these people? You all seriously want to risk the kids? This is stupid. There are like 11,000 kids in the OKC district alone that walks to school. Look at the wind chills. You all want them to get frost bites and possibly freeze to death?

They were worried about those kids who have to stand out at the bus stop forever. Or even walk to school. Hey, here's an idea...get the buses there on time and they won't have to wait! Maybe even tell them to pick up a coat out of the lost and found box to put on. And tell them to not walk to school. If they can't find a ride or a bus, then stay home. But don't close the entire district because of a handful of kids that may or may not freeze to death. How am I supposed to teach my child that life goes on even when it's cold and to be responsible when they do this? Yes, I have to go to work today! They don't close because it's cold, I can't call in because I'm too cold. Pretty sure New York continues on. As do Alaskans. Every day.

Yep, this is the track America is going down. A bunch of sissies who cant deal with everyday life. Its pitiful.

7. Default Re: school closings?

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    Yep, this is the track America is going down. A bunch of sissies who cant deal with everyday life. Its pitiful.
    yeah, I'm scared to see how these kids turn out when they're adults.. if they even make that far.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    yeah, I'm scared to see how these kids turn out when they're adults.. if they even make that far.
    They will expect us to support them and make sure they have a warm meal and nice warm house.

9. Default Re: school closings?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    They will expect us to support them and make sure they have a warm meal and nice warm house.
    So they can't have that if they're exposed to cold weather on the way to the bus or school??

**edit - Oh, I see what you're saying.. yeah, I can imagine this current generation of schoolkids living with mommy & daddy well into their 40's

... and a XBOX 360 and PS3.

Well Yukon schools made a late decision to close but it was because several schools are without power still. But they would never close because of a little cold. And a very large percentage of our students ride the
    bus as we have a lot of rural route kids.

12. Default Re: school closings?

It's a total load of crap. There's no reason to close the entire district for cold. Do you think they do this in the north where this is the norm...no. And guess what, kids wait for the bus and walk there too. If the school doesn't have power, then close that invidividual school, otherwise kids need to be in the classroom. It's a total crap load of B.S. for sure. These kids can find alternative ways of getting to school if they want...and if they can't, then those parents need to make the decision of whether or not the kid needs to just stay home that day, not the district.

Yukon cancelled this morning because so many schools didn't have power. That I understand, but just beacuse it's cold...no.

Psh. They don't need lights. Those kids could go to school too. LOL. Kidding of course.

My son gets to stay home today and he will not grow up to be worthless. He knows that he has 2 choices - get a job, or go to college. Either way, your time at home is limited.

On the other hand - I also taught him to not look a gifthorse in the mouth. Or whatever that saying is. Take your day off and enjoy it because it was given to you. If you boss calls and says stay home then by all means say yes thank you and take it. But you will not call in and say it's too cold. Ever.

The amount of state funding that schools receive is based on Average Daily Attendance. If a schools Average Daily Attendance drops their funding drops. If a school expects to have lower than norman attendance due to extreme weather or a flu outbreak, it makes sense for them to close the school and make those days up at the end of the year.

Are most of the schools staying closed for today and Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    or pay for their health care

While the schools primary motive was likely the safety of their students, it seems $$ might have been a great side reason. I mean...won't they save a good sum of money by not heating their schools today as opposed to running the A/C's a little when its 80 or so in May?

How many of you claiming how wussy kids are nowadays are posting that from a warm home or building? If you are so tough, park you car a mile or 2 from your job and walk in tommorow morning.

And spare me the "back in my day" bs. I was talking to relatives last night and the last time it was this cold (early 1980's) most schools were closed. Also, Oklahoma schools are now required to attend schools at least 170 days or an hour equivalent, so its much easier to make up days now versus in the past.

19. Default Re: school closings?

I'm sure part of it is OKCPS thinking about possible lawsuits if someone's child suffers from the cold, i.e. hypothermia or whatnot. Personally, I'm not too happy about it because only half of one of my classes was here (We do not follow OKCPS for closing decisions) and it's only because the kids said, hey, my friends didn't have to go to school, why should I? Annoying. That said, I would feel very sorry for a young kid waiting for a bus at 6:30 in the morning if it felt like -2°F.
    Still corrupting young minds

20. Default Re: school closings?

Part of the problem is that many kids don't have the right type of clothing for temps this cold, since they are rare. Also, another teacher told me that diesel fuel (school buses) can have problems starting in extremely cold temperatures. I googled this and it seems to be true. Anyhow, I'm not going to complain about getting to sleep in today.

Early 1980's was yesterday. You have to go further back than that for me!

22. Default Re: school closings?

Only in Oklahoma, where we have people complaining about safety being put first for the kids.

23. Default Re: school closings?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    How many of you claiming how wussy kids are nowadays are posting that from a warm home or building? If you are so tough, park you car a mile or 2 from your job and walk in tommorow morning.

And spare me the "back in my day" bs. I was talking to relatives last night and the last time it was this cold (early 1980's) most schools were closed. Also, Oklahoma schools are now required to attend schools at least 170 days or an hour equivalent, so its much easier to make up days now versus in the past.
    So you're saying that the schools aren't heated?

I didn't walk 2 miles into work, but I did spend 30 minutes outside scraping my car so I could drive, then I walked 4 blocks from my parking space.

I can understand the parents of children who actually have to walk "a mile or 2" not wanting their children exposed to the frigid air, but how many children are actually in that predicament? Enough to shut down the whole district?

I also see a number of people actually *gasp* working outside today. Should we protest the companies forcing those poor helpless adults who are forced to be outside?

gimme a break, this whole school closing is ridiculous, all it does is coddle a bunch of pussified children and cause problems at businesses who are suddenly shorthanded because mommy and/or daddy had to stay at home to hold their children's hands and change their nappies since it's too cold outside.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    So you're saying that the schools aren't heated?

I didn't walk 2 miles into work, but I did spend 30 minutes outside scraping my car so I could drive, then I walked 4 blocks from my parking space.

I can understand the parents of children who actually have to walk "a mile or 2" not wanting their children exposed to the frigid air, but how many children are actually in that predicament? Enough to shut down the whole district?

I also see a number of people actually *gasp* working outside today. Should we protest the companies forcing those poor helpless adults who are forced to be outside?

gimme a break, this whole school closing is ridiculous, all it does is coddle a bunch of pussified children and cause problems at businesses who are suddenly shorthanded because mommy and/or daddy had to stay at home to hold their children's hands and change their nappies since it's too cold outside.
    Are you or any of these workers a 53 pound poor kid w/o proper clothing?

25. Default Re: school closings?

Quote Originally Posted by td25er View Post
    Are you or any of these workers a 53 pound poor kid w/o proper clothing?
    If there's a glut of 53-pound poor kids in this state who can't survive for 15 minutes outside, so many that we *must* shut down school districts, then perhaps there's a bigger problem that needs to be addressed other than closing school.

Also, if they're soooo weak and frail and can't afford proper clothing, why would they be better off at home instead of in a heated environment?

How many of these poor, helpless, downtrodden babies have been doomed to an entire day of staying in an unheated, unfurnished crackhouse where all the clothing and food money goes to feed mommy's habit?

Some of you people astonish me.

It's cold outside, boohoo, go to school.

Thread Information