Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

1. Default Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

If so, share any memories you've got please. I'm about to post something about the chain at www.okchistory.com

Default Re: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

I went to the one on SW 59th and Villa in the '60s.

During a promo event they had a band playing on a stage built in the parking lot. It started raining and the lead singer got electrocuted by the microphone stand. It didn't kill him, but he wasn't able to sing anymore.

I went to the one on S.W.59th and Villa and the one in Madill. Loved em.

4. Default Re: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

Any recollection as to when the restaurants disappeared? What, if anything, made them different from other fast food restaurants?

I wish there was some history on Mr. Swiss. (Can't find any) I think the diff. at the time period was that they had tomatoes, lettuce and onion when the others had none other than the ma & pa places and maybe the unique bldg..

S.W. 33 and Robinson. There was also one just south of S.W. 29 and Penn. Just off the southeast corner.

Only place I know that ever really had tutti-fruti ice cream. Man! That was some nasty stuff.

Took my girlfriend (Now my wife) to both of them on 29th and Penn and on 59th and Villa....I didn't like their burgers but like PapaOu said they had some good Ice Cream and their Milk Shakes were Great. They were somewhat "cheesy" if my memory serves me right. The buildings were kind of different but they were both trimmed in Blue....Remember that much....Late 70's they were gone....The one on 29th and Penn became a Mexican food place for a while then they tore it down....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Took my girlfriend (Now my wife) to both of them on 29th and Penn and on 59th and Villa....I didn't like their burgers but like PapaOu said they had some good Ice Cream and their Milk Shakes were Great. They were somewhat "cheesy" if my memory serves me right. The buildings were kind of different but they were both trimmed in Blue....Remember that much....Late 70's they were gone....The one on 29th and Penn became a Mexican food place for a while then they tore it down....
    The bldg. on 33rd and Robinson is still there. I don't think it has occupied in twenty or more years. Think it is still blue. They were just an A-frame bldg. I know that one better because it is across the street from the former El Charitto.

I'm not very sure about my recollections anymore.

It seems to me that there may have been one about N W 50th and Portland that later became Swiss Cleaners. You can see the A-frame building still.

I vaguely remember the Mr. Swiss sign - found an image of it:
    Mr. Swiss

Same site says it was an Oklahoma City chain.

The reason I remember that location is that my grandparents lived nearby for a while but that would have been in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Mr. Swiss
    Thanks for finding that link! Seeing those old A-frame Mr. Swiss buildings sure brought back a bunch of memories.

There was one in Poteau in the 70's, but I don't recall when it closed.. Ice cream was good, food too as I recall. Hilers, nice local folks, owned that shoppe. We were under under 6-8G population back then, with multiple ice cream and burger joints located from one end of town to the other. As to why it went down and others, I don't recall. It had a solid location on the main road, and seemed packed during b-ball season, being located across from the town parks at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I'm not very sure about my recollections anymore.

It seems to me that there may have been one about N W 50th and Portland that later became Swiss Cleaners. You can see the A-frame building still.

Mr. Swiss

Same site says it was an Oklahoma City chain.

The reason I remember that location is that my grandparents lived nearby for a while but that would have been in the late 1950's and early 1960's.
    It was just west of Portland, it was a fried pie place 10 or so years ago.

Boy this brings back some memories, There was a Mr Swiss at Candlestick Park in Jackson, MS. It was built on the site of the Dog n Suds that was destroyed in the infamous tornado of 1966 (which I witnessed as well). I remembered going there on many occasions but can't remember what the specialty was. There were not many fast food places in South jackson at the time. Only a KFC and a Krystal during those years, so maybe it was because it was different

14. Default Re: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

SW 29 and penn is still standing - it's a used car lot now

15. Default Re: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

it appears we have five of these buildings still standing.

16. Default Re: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

Here's another question related to this mystery: can anyone tell me where 1111 E Commerce might be located?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Here's another question related to this mystery: can anyone tell me where 1111 E Commerce might be located?
    ================================================== ===========
    Division of OKC is Santa Fe.....1111 would be east of Which would be east of Robinson and that address is probably somewhere around Central....East of the railroad tracks....Commerce was also 25th st. in the capitol hill area.....Carltonskeeper.....Help me out here you know that part of OKC like the back of your hand....

Division of OKC is Santa Fe.....1111 would be east of Which would be east of Robinson and that address is probably somewhere around Central....East of the railroad tracks....Commerce was also 25th st. in the capitol hill area.....Carltonskeeper.....Help me out here you know that part of OKC like the back of your hand....
    Problem is..........

Commerce extends one block east of Robinson and then becomes 25th st.

What are you searching for?

The 1100 block would be close to High.

You are right Papa:........I get that area confused. I don't know what building he is looking for and he is Off Line right now....But we've (you) got him pretty close...

1111 West Commerce is a couple of blocks East of Coit's in Capitol Hill, because like you said, 25th was always considered Commerce. I don't believe there is or was a 1111 East Commerce!! That's not right either because West of Western is the 1100 block West! I lived @ 1024 S.W. 34th and that was 2 houses east of Douglas...
    Last edited by CarltonsKeeper; 01-01-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    1111 West Commerce is a couple of blocks East of Coit's in Capitol Hill, because like you said, 25th was always considered Commerce. I don't believe there is or was a 1111 East Commerce!! That's not right either because West of Western is the 1100 block West! I lived @ 1024 S.W. 34th and that was 2 houses east of Douglas...
    Google maps says its Scott's Cleaner at 1111 SE 25. There was no street view, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    There was one in Poteau in the 70's, but I don't recall when it closed.. Ice cream was good, food too as I recall. Hilers, nice local folks, owned that shoppe. We were under under 6-8G population back then, with multiple ice cream and burger joints located from one end of town to the other. As to why it went down and others, I don't recall. It had a solid location on the main road, and seemed packed during b-ball season, being located across from the town parks at that time.
    When I was around 9--11, I spent most of my summers near Poteau, my grand pareants lived in Howe. At least once a week we would go to Mr. Swiss for ice cream, sure miss those days. (and the ice cream)

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Google maps says its Scott's Cleaner at 1111 SE 25. There was no street view, though.
    but no 1111 Commerce. There is no such address east or west.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    but no 1111 Commerce. There is no such address east or west.
    Correctamundo!

25. Default Re: Does anyone remember Mr. Swiss?

Ah, and that's my problem. I can't find any such address, and my southside friends say this address doesn't exist... and yet... it was listed repeatedly in stories and SEC filings involving Mr. Swiss.

Thread Information