Widgets Magazine

Thread: Jackweed on Mustang Rd. this am.

Default Jackweed on Mustang Rd. this am.

Thank you to the guy in the white Tahoe this morning who interrupted a perfectly pleasant and peaceful run with a shouted cuss and a thrown aluminum can.

I run at 0430 in the morning every morning before the firestation on the trails at Wild Horse Park. Due to weather conditions this am I decided to run down the middle of the road more to the left (so as to see oncoming traffic better) but still within reason of crossing over to either side.

I was in absolutely nobody's way. Some Jackweed decided to chide me at 0430 and I think that sucks.

It seems ridiculous to me that people still will not share the roadways with runners/cyclists.

Default Re: Jackweed on Mustang Rd. this am.

OK I agree. I'll drive my vehicle to work on my treadmill in my bedroom and you can have my road. Doh!

ok... it wasn't cool for anyone to chide you and throw an aluminum can.

but... the roads aren't exactly in the best condition. just this past sunday i saw a person running west on sw 104th between may and i-44 around 11am. needless to say that he was running dead center of the outermost eastbound lane forcing all oncoming traffic to change lanes to avoid him. while i didn't feel some need to harrass the guy, i kinda felt that he was the 'jackweed' who was putting himself and others in peril.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    ok... it wasn't cool for anyone to chide you and throw an aluminum can.

but... the roads aren't exactly in the best condition. just this past sunday i saw a person running west on sw 104th between may and i-44 around 11am. needless to say that he was running dead center of the outermost eastbound lane forcing all oncoming traffic to change lanes to avoid him. while i didn't feel some need to harrass the guy, i kinda felt that he was the 'jackweed' who was putting himself and others in peril.

-M

I will grant you both your arguments. My issue is that it was like 0430, (that's a.m.) nobody was really even beginning their commutes and Mustang road as well as Hwy. 152 are literally clear in all four lanes. No sidewalks are yet cleared though.

Had either of these roads been limited in any way, I would have cancelled my run or postponed it until I could get on a treadmill, (likely next year due to the backup of runners at the gyms.)

I postitioned myself on the inside lane of opposing traffic so that I could see oncoming and move appropriately (even if it meant walking gingerly for a spell on the curb.)

I am aware that sometimes runners/cyclists are the Jackweeds, I felt completely responsible in my run and completely wronged by what I felt an unsolicited cussing.

like i said, you totally didn't deserve getting cussed at or getting something thrown your direction. hope i didn't come across as if i felt it was your fault or something.

your story just made me picture what i saw last sunday... that guy didn't move out of the way of anybody and it was in the middle of the day and the particular road wasn't exactly clear.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    like i said, you totally didn't deserve getting cussed at or getting something thrown your direction. hope i didn't come across as if i felt it was your fault or something.

your story just made me picture what i saw last sunday... that guy didn't move out of the way of anybody and it was in the middle of the day and the particular road wasn't exactly clear.

-M
    Point taken. I think I'm still too sensitive. Seriously, I don't think I'd run 104th on the clearest of days. I used to work at the station on 89th and kentucky (roughly) I never ran those main streets - ever. Stuck to the additions. Thanks for clarifying.

7. Default Re: Jackweed on Mustang Rd. this am.

Some drivers think it's a social responsibility to throw things at anybody on foot.

I know this because of my couple of acres, one side of it is along a fairly busy road and while I mow it...I've been yelled at many times, and had a couple of things tossed at me. Despite the fact that I come to a complete stop and shut the blades off every.single.time. a car is passing and I'm never touching asphalt while there's a car in sight either.

Quote Originally Posted by MGE1977 View Post
    Thank you to the guy in the white Tahoe this morning who interrupted a perfectly pleasant and peaceful run with a shouted cuss and a thrown aluminum can.

I run at 0430 in the morning every morning before the firestation on the trails at Wild Horse Park. Due to weather conditions this am I decided to run down the middle of the road more to the left (so as to see oncoming traffic better) but still within reason of crossing over to either side.

I was in absolutely nobody's way. Some Jackweed decided to chide me at 0430 and I think that sucks.

It seems ridiculous to me that people still will not share the roadways with runners/cyclists.
    I absolutely agree. People in cars tend to be very aggressive and territorial. So much for "friendly Okies" huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I absolutely agree. People in cars tend to be very aggressive and territorial. So much for "friendly Okies" huh?
    One thing I think would be helpful is building sidewalks and bicycle lanes when new roads are built and existing roads are upgraded.

MGE1977, I can understand your aggravation, but I also see runners and bikers that almost dare people to hit them. Personally, I can't believe that anyone would trust the redneck population around Mustang, not to hit them as they are walking. Also, the guy in the white car probably throws his trash out the window with his kids watching, with a Camel hanging out the side of his mouth. ha
    just be careful, because these idiots don't care about anything.

I think it is time for a bicylist license for riding on major streets or highways and their should also be changes to the motor vehicle laws to create a safe enviroment for both riders and drivers.

For example:

It should be illegal for a group of riders to obstruct traffic by ridding four or five abreast. They should be required to reduce to down to a single or double line when vehicles approach on a two lane road on a four lane or larger road they may use the outside lane and drivers should be required to pass them at a safe speed in the inside lane.

Drivers should be requried to slow down when approaching riders and pass at a safe speed.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I think it is time for a bicylist license for riding on major streets or highways and their should also be changes to the motor vehicle laws to create a safe enviroment for both riders and drivers.

For example:

It should be illegal for a group of riders to obstruct traffic by ridding four or five abreast. They should be required to reduce to down to a single or double line when vehicles approach on a two lane road on a four lane or larger road they may use the outside lane and drivers should be required to pass them at a safe speed in the inside lane.

Drivers should be requried to slow down when approaching riders and pass at a safe speed.
    Both of your examples are laws, they just aren't enforced.

"Jackweed"?

as someone who commutes on mustang road you are lucky you only got an aluminum can at 4:30am instead of his front bumper. regardless of the guy being a jerk, what you were doing is an excellent way to end up dead.

please use the gym or the side of the road (this is coming from an avid long time runner).

Quote Originally Posted by bradzilla View Post
    as someone who commutes on mustang road you are lucky you only got an aluminum can at 4:30am instead of his front bumper. regardless of the guy being a jerk, what you were doing is an excellent way to end up dead.

please use the gym or the side of the road (this is coming from an avid long time runner).
    Amateurs.

You haven't lived until some Jackweed drives alongside you yelling, "Hey, babe - want a ride? I don't got no place to go for awhile..."

When you are female, you don't even have to run down the middle of the road like a drunk in the middle of the night, either. Stick your head outside your front door and some jackweed will have something to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Amateurs.

You haven't lived until some Jackweed drives alongside you yelling, "Hey, babe - want a ride? I don't got no place to go for awhile..."

When you are female, you don't even have to run down the middle of the road like a drunk in the middle of the night, either. Stick your head outside your front door and some jackweed will have something to say about it.
    Loosen up Penny--by the way babe--want a ride (just kidding)
    Both of my daughters are avid joggers, and they are constantly honked and whistled at, along with some very rude and vulgar comments.

Thread Information