Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunzicker Building in Bricktown: Sammy's Pizza

Default Hunzicker Building in Bricktown: Sammy's Pizza

Sammy’s Pizza set to open restaurant in Bricktown
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER The Oklahoman Comments 0
    Published: December 20, 2009

Every September, two old favorites make a return appearance at the State Fair of Oklahoma — O’Brien’s and Sammy’s Pizza. On Friday, Brent Brewer stands in front of a future Sammy’s Pizza in Bricktown in Oklahoma City. The restaurant is part of the childhood of his friend, Karim Hemani, whose father started and ran the pizza place in Oklahoma City years ago. But it’s Sammy’s that is returning to life in the Brewer family’s Hunzicker Brothers building along the Bricktown Canal.

Read more: NewsOK

Default Re: Hunzicker Building in Bricktown: Sammy's Pizza

Hmmm, a new way to be sauced in BT, and for all ages too. Nice.

they had the best calzone in OKC.
    crap! looks like i'll be going to bricktown afterall.......

Quote Originally Posted by zuluwarrior0760 View Post
    I wish I could get someone to make it that way down here in Austin. We will hit Pizza House on 23rd & Ann Arbor for a Sammy's style calzone when we are in town. I forgot that Meiki's reopened on NW Expressway until we were headed back home on Thanksgiving weekend, they have a similar style as well.

Sammy's really seemed to set a standard for many of the local pizza places, I guess they trained a bunch of people who have since opened their own. From my parents house we would go to the one at 10th & Shawnee quite often, on Saturday nights a friend and I would go down there after we got off work at Han's BBQ before I had my drivers license. Later I went to the one on North Western after working in North OKC for many years.

5. Default Re: Hunzicker Building in Bricktown: Sammy's Pizza

Interesting. I don't remember Sammy's but I wish them luck.

What's the deal with the pizza place they were supposed to be reviving in the Banjo Museum?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

6. Default Re: Hunzicker Building in Bricktown: Sammy's Pizza

jbrown, they're simply featuring a "display" of what a Shakey's Pizzza dining room looked like. Unless you went to Shakey's, it's difficult to explain why this would be a good fit for a banjo museum. But trust me, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    jbrown, they're simply featuring a "display" of what a Shakey's Pizzza dining room looked like. Unless you went to Shakey's, it's difficult to explain why this would be a good fit for a banjo museum. But trust me, it works.
    Yeah, my parents really understood, and appreciated, that little portion. I guess they intend to use it for live shows and will bring pizza in for the listeners.

Remember Shakeys from my grade school days (Iowa), there was a reference to it in a sitcom just this week, so may still be a couple around in the U.S. Went online a year or two ago and the only mention then was somewhere overseas (Japan?). Think there is a Shakeys door (may have been a former Shakeys) at the Pizza place over in Mid-Del on 29th (next to a KFC)

Quote Originally Posted by zuluwarrior0760 View Post
    Agreed...Always hit the Sammy's at the fair...Excellent calzone

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Think there is a Shakeys door (may have been a former Shakeys) at the Pizza place over in Mid-Del on 29th (next to a KFC)
    You're refering to the Round Up. You are correct, it was a Shakeys back in the day.

Shakey's Pizza is still out in California.

I ate at a Shakey's Pizza in Tokyo, the Harajuku district. They have some interesting combo pizzas there.

Is this place ever going to open?

Last I heard was November...which has come and passed.

Thanks, it was originally supposed to be like summer of last year :-0

I've heard that it's very close to opening. I think this is just going to be one of those places that takes forever to get open, but I really do hope they take advantage of the Holiday crowds, because the rest of winter can be pretty slow business-wise.

Maybe Falcone's biting the dust is warding pizza establishments off?

http://www.morrisanderson.com/resour...iction-notice/

Wow, thanks for the link, Spartan.

In the story, Falcone says business is slow except for event nights, and no one is driving just to eat there.

Translation: Bricktown needs more residents!

Ah man. Shame. I really like his Bricktown store

Like mcca said above me, it's a sign that Bricktown really needs to diversify it's business. Relying on events and tourist traffic can only sustain so many businesses.

The arena being under construction for two years hasn't helped because otherwise there would be a couple of concerts a week.

That is true. Hopefully he can return one day or maybe something better will come in. I will truly miss that restaurant in Bricktown, though.

$10,000 a month for that sq. footage in Bricktown, or anywhere in Oklahoma is absurd. He could get a nicer space in some of the nicer, busier areas of the country for that. Landlords in Btown are squatters and going to kill any momentum the district has if stuff like this continues.

22. Default Re: Hunzicker Building in Bricktown: Sammy's Pizza

Now let's back up a minute here... I'm as hard on Bricktown as anybody else. But in this case, there are MANY people who lay the blame for this failure on Falcone. He opened to some great reviews and then expanded like crazy. I remember his Edmond restaurant was especially bad on just about every level - food quality, wait times, cleanliness and service. Go visit Urban Spoon, read up on the Bricktown location, http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/77747...-Oklahoma-City and then tell me his failure is due to Bricktown and not his own operation. Texadelphia and Earl's likely have similar rents, and are doing fine from all appearances.
    Now, if you're looking for an interesting critique on Bricktown, read this: http://downtownontherange.blogspot.c...t-for-you.html

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    $10,000 a month for that sq. footage in Bricktown, or anywhere in Oklahoma is absurd. He could get a nicer space in some of the nicer, busier areas of the country for that. Landlords in Btown are squatters and going to kill any momentum the district has if stuff like this continues.
    What was the sq. footage? Triple net?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Pitman View Post
    What was the sq. footage? Triple net?
    I estimate around 3,400 sq. feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Now, if you're looking for an interesting critique on Bricktown, read this: http://downtownontherange.blogspot.c...t-for-you.html
    That's pretty hard hitting.

Some truth there.

I do find it ironic though he thinks a C2S district would turn out any differently.

"Oh and hey, at least there might be hope for a real C2S district as well, after all."

Thread Information