Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Don't Edmond my Norman"?

Default Re: "Don't Edmond my Norman"?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I for one hope Norman embraces the change continuing to head its way if for nothing less then the tax revenue the school system desperately needs. I saw a figure that showed tax revenue collections for Edmond and Norman as even in the mid 90's (high $500 million) for both towns and, by 2005, Edmond had doubled that amount while Norman had stayed almost unchanged. I can't tell you how many national retail stores I have heard stories from saying that Norman is the most difficult town they have every tried to do business in.

October sales tax figures show about 4.5 million for Norman and about 3.5 million for Edmond. I don't think that backs up your figures.
    I think thats in reference to the property tax base, in which most schools derive their revenue from.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    well, i think it implies that all edmonites care about is their affluent lifestyle and their home property values.

that being said, there are many ordinances in place that fosters this type of lifestyle with strict regiment. so much control, that some who arent acclimated to it can percieve it as hindering a carefree lifestyle.

for comparison, id love to see a side-by-side chart listing a myriad of each cities active ordinances to see if norman or edmond has the higher tally.
    Since I'm in Norman 5 days a week, I find this an interesting observation. One thing I have noticed about both cities is the propensity to build house right next to each other with nearly no yard at all. It's almost like apartment living the homes are packed so tight together. I reckong you'd have to have ordnances out the ears when you are so close you can hear your neighbor snore......

In a lot of ways, they are so much alike it's comical.....

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I think thats in reference to the property tax base, in which most schools derive their revenue from.
    In that case I would like to see something more official to back that up. It's inconceivable that with the explosive commercial and residential growth Norman has seen in the last fifthteen year that property taxes have stayed unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Norman needs to get over itself. As a Norman resident (who grew up in Edmond) I think another poster hit the nail on the head when he said that Norman fate has been sealed for a while now. Norman has 100k(+) people not including the seasonal University student population. The days of Norman returning to some small town utopia are long gone.

I for one hope Norman embraces the change continuing to head its way if for nothing less then the tax revenue the school system desperately needs. I saw a figure that showed tax revenue collections for Edmond and Norman as even in the mid 90's (high $500 million) for both towns and, by 2005, Edmond had doubled that amount while Norman had stayed almost unchanged. I can't tell you how many national retail stores I have heard stories from saying that Norman is the most difficult town they have every tried to do business in.

University North Park is a step in the right direction but I know that it took several people bleeding a gallon of blood to make that happen. Sure Norman needs to recognize its uniqueness. But I hope the warm and fuzzies that many feel the need to wrap themselves in don't get in the way of what is economically good for the rest of Norman.
    UNP is a POS. It is a step in the direction of turning Norman into Edmond. I avoid that part of town if at all possible. I am so glad we now have a shoe carnival... give me a break. Say no to strip mall hell.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    UNP is a POS. It is a step in the direction of turning Norman into Edmond. I avoid that part of town if at all possible. I am so glad we now have a shoe carnival... give me a break. Say no to strip mall hell.
    I couldn't agree more, UNP is definately a step backwards.

I completely disagree. We enjoy having Super Target, Pei Wei, and Academy Sports here in town. And, the Embassy Suites is actually a decent hotel for visitors. For a "strip mall," it looks pretty good. Of course, this is not the final part of the project. These stores are all intended to generate traffic for the lifestyle center that is planned to open across the street. While it is taking longer than expected (not surprising given the economic climate), I look forward to seeing this development continue to grow.

Don't Del City my anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    In a lot of ways, they are so much alike it's comical.....
    um, not really. In Norman youre bound to find much more diversity. More people of different ethnicities, walks-of-life, career fields, backgrounds, etc.

Edmond has too much of the stagnant reknown uppity elitist snobs to be as diversified as Norman.

Both towns have colleges, thats really the only similarity I see.

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    um, not really. In Norman youre bound to find much more diversity. More people of different ethnicities, walks-of-life, career fields, backgrounds, etc.

Edmond has too much of the stagnant reknown uppity elitist snobs to be as diversified as Norman.

Both towns have colleges, thats really the only similarity I see.
    There is a perception that Edmond people are elitist snobs.

On the other hand, Norman people won't STFU about how great they are.

10. Default Re: "Don't Edmond my Norman"?

outside the mile radius around campus. norman = edmond. I have lived both places.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    outside the mile radius around campus. norman = edmond. I have lived both places.
    by that logic, any college town can be an "edmond" or a "norman"

however, i doubt your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Ding ding ding ding....And worthy cook wins the Kewpy Doll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    what the hell is university north park?

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    what the hell is university north park?
    It's the development where the Super Target is. The main criticism is that we were promised something very unique and spectacular and it's simply turned into another strip mall with stores like Dress Barn.

15. Default Re: "Don't Edmond my Norman"?

I am going to lose sleep if I don't know what the Kewpy Doll is.

Look it's just an opinion of a 26 year old who spent 4.5 years going to school at OU and have now lived over 4 years in edmond. love both cities. sure norman has more diverse people because there IS a major univeristy there.

Plus isn't it the pot calling kettle black when you say that you don't want to be like edmond because norman is better than that. just think it's silly.

blah blah blah..just wanted to type something so this thread prevails over the contending thread "dont norman my edmond"

If you under 30, I would hate to live in Edmond. Unless you want to get a head start on boring suburban life which is OK for some. Not for me. I have had some great great times in Norman - parks, festivals, bars/restraunts, OU campus (recently graduated).

I totally agree about Edmond being a police state/city. If you are black, its like trying to approach the Berlin Wall. I have a really close black friend who lives in OKC & got a job in Edmond. He eventually quit because he got pulled over so often - no faulty equipment, license & insurance all valid.

Cops would pull him over, demand an explanation for what he was doin, CONSTANTLY badger him about selling drugs. etc, he would then explain he is going to work, in his work uniform.

When I think Edmond I think - Nice houses, racists, holier than thou attitude, rat race.

When I think Norman I think - OU campus, parks, festivals, diversity, development, bars, restruants, college town. Norman has nation leading facilities - NWC, & the USPS Training Center. Memorial stadium, etc.

Maybe if Edmond didn't treat minorities like scum they would have a chance of catching Norman in population? Lol.

UCO will never "catch" OU in terms of development. Thats like saying OKC metro will one day "catch" DFW in population size. Not happening.

PW makes a good point, but I think he's selling Norman. Everything he attributed to Edmond, can and should also be attributed to Norman's northwest side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    If you under 30, I would hate to live in Edmond. Unless you want to get a head start on boring suburban life which is OK for some. Not for me. I have had some great great times in Norman - parks, festivals, bars/restraunts, OU campus (recently graduated).

I totally agree about Edmond being a police state/city. If you are black, its like trying to approach the Berlin Wall. I have a really close black friend who lives in OKC & got a job in Edmond. He eventually quit because he got pulled over so often - no faulty equipment, license & insurance all valid.

Cops would pull him over, demand an explanation for what he was doin, CONSTANTLY badger him about selling drugs. etc, he would then explain he is going to work, in his work uniform.

When I think Edmond I think - Nice houses, racists, holier than thou attitude, rat race.

When I think Norman I think - OU campus, parks, festivals, diversity, development, bars, restruants, college town. Norman has nation leading facilities - NWC, & the USPS Training Center. Memorial stadium, etc.

Maybe if Edmond didn't treat minorities like scum they would have a chance of catching Norman in population? Lol.

UCO will never "catch" OU in terms of development. Thats like saying OKC metro will one day "catch" DFW in population size. Not happening.
    This is hilariously ironic considering your entire post is about Norman being "holier" than Edmond.

good morning for a nice jog. hopefully it doesnt get too humid today.

I have lived in both towns and I've always thought that it referenced that Edmond is a generic, boring town full of chains while Norman is a fun, unique town with thriving local businesses. If you disagree with this just check out the restaraunt selection. Norman is far superior. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I have lived in both towns and I've always thought that it referenced that Edmond is a generic, boring town full of chains while Norman is a fun, unique town with thriving local businesses. If you disagree with this just check out the restaraunt selection. Norman is far superior. It's not even close.
    Name some.

These are just a few Norman-owned restaurants:
    Pepe Delgado's (authentic Mexican)
    Tarahumara's (Tex-Mex)
    Victoria's (Italian)
    Greek House
    NY Pizza
    Gi Jing (sp?) (sushi and more...)
    Othello's
    Blu
    The Library
    Legends
    The Earth (vegetarian/vegan, healthy)...

Here are a few regionally/state owned places that are succeeding in Norman:
    Bison Witches (sandwiches and soup)
    In The Raw (sushi)
    Iron Starr (urban BBQ - the 1st one is in OKC)
    La Luna
    Chelino's

Those are just the places off the top of my head.

Norman does a great job of supporting Norman-owned restaurants and ones that are regional/state that are essentially local. Edmond does not. Edmond has a bunch of national chains. The same could be said of bars. There are a ton of great places to have a beer in Norman, but not in Edmond. Norman is local and unique. Edmond is chain-based and generic.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    These are just a few Norman-owned restaurants:
    Pepe Delgado's (authentic Mexican)
    Tarahumara's (Tex-Mex)
    Victoria's (Italian)
    Greek House
    NY Pizza
    Gi Jing (sp?) (sushi and more...)
    Othello's
    Blu
    The Library
    Legends
    The Earth (vegetarian/vegan, healthy)...

Here are a few regionally/state owned places that are succeeding in Norman:
    Bison Witches (sandwiches and soup)
    In The Raw (sushi)
    Iron Starr (urban BBQ - the 1st one is in OKC)
    La Luna
    Chelino's

Those are just the places off the top of my head.

Norman does a great job of supporting Norman-owned restaurants and ones that are regional/state that are essentially local. Edmond does not. Edmond has a bunch of national chains. The same could be said of bars. There are a ton of great places to have a beer in Norman, but not in Edmond. Norman is local and unique. Edmond is chain-based and generic.
    Off the top of my head, Edmond has

Othello's
    Interurban
    Mr Sushi
    Boulevard Steakhouse
    Cafe 501
    Zarate's
    Chelino's
    Coach's
    Goldie's
    Johnnie's
    Steve's Rib
    Lottinville's
    Hideaway
    Ted's
    Flat Tire Burgers
    Sumo
    Milanos Pizzeria
    Pepe's
    Louie's

I admit the bars in Edmond are lacking, but there are plenty of places to go on Memorial, which is basically considered "Edmond".

Exactly. You just listed a bunch of "local" restaraunts that feel like chains. I would never include those on a list of good, local places to eat. Goldies? Interurban? Also, Memorial is as generic as it gets. If Edmondiers are claiming Memorial theb you are just proving my point. I've lived in both places and the local food scene in Norman destroys Edmond.

Thread Information