Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Maps 3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Maps 3

I see

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That's all code for the Chamber and powers that be wanting to make a big push in the Innovation District and provide more corporate incentives.
    Amazing.

We started doing MAPS bc our piles of incentive dollars weren't cutting it. At least when we did that, it was for AA, which would have heavily diversified our economy.

These people are cognitively and philosophically bankrupt if they want to incorporate any amount of incentives in MAPS 4. Yet there isn't any money for place-based improvements like the 235 cap, they just want a war chest for cash incentives.

I will oppose the entire ballot if they go that route.

I think that there is a fair amount of naivety by some of the establishment with regard to how much the electorate may have changed and what may or may not motivate it to support initiatives.

Well if this is true, and I don't want to assume, but if it is, then they want to masquerade the fundamental opposite of MAPS as the next MAPS.

In 1993, we arrived at MAPS by realizing the folly of trying to incentivize companies to come with cash.

I also think we are done with the days of this being a non-binding resolution. This has evaded accountability, and if they keep it up to further their own narrow interests, they are going to face a bloody renewal battle. It's unfortunate bc the Trump years will likely see a fire hose of federal matching funds and innovative tax credit schemes that could further what we did in MAPS 4 if we stay true to building things for quality of life and economic development, instead of just writing fat checks.

Also note how many of these "incentives" have gone to oil companies, which has clearly worked out great toward economic diversification.

I just increasingly don't see a future for MAPS until Jim Couch retires and goes back to North Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    In 1993, we arrived at MAPS by realizing the folly of trying to incentivize companies to come with cash.
    That is a great point as it relates to MAPS and it's history. Very astute.

That's why they could propose so many other bad ideas that would still be less stinging.

I'm not at all against incentives, really of any kind. Just not as a part of MAPS.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City will need to revise & resize its MAPS project proposals if we want to continue the momentum. We need future initiatives that will reduce the number of projects from 7-9 to 3 or 4 with no more than a 3 1/2 to 4 year collection period.

Sales Tax collections will rebound; therefore you may see a future 'surplus' with the shorter collection periods.

Yeah, I don't think anyone wants to get into why people voted for a Trump, especially on OKC Talk.

Not sure where the Draper Trail thread is(I looked and couldn’t find it) but that trail is officially open.

$40 million in excess MAPS 3 funds to be allocated

Today, the MAPS3 Board voted to return $15 million from the convention center which will not be needed for that project.

Historic Union Station bordering Scissortail Park

Combined with approximately $20 million in excess sales tax collections, interest and contingency funds, plus an estimated $5 million that is likely to be returned at the completion of the convention center, the total is likely to approach $40 million.

MAPS 3 Project Manager explained that two key elements of the convention center -- the 4th Street Experience and the reconstruction of Robinson Avenue between the center and Scissortail Park -- would be able to be completed and still return the nearly $20 million to the general MAPS budget.

Board Chair Tom McDaniel reported that he had previously met with Mayor David Holt and City Manager Craig Freeman and determined that city council would be the appropriate body to make decisions regarding the funds.

The Board voted to send requests from the various MAPS3 subcommittees to the mayor and council to consider.

Those requests include:
    • $9 million for the state fairgrounds MAPS4 coliseum project
    • $30 million for the park subcommittee towards connecting the lower park directly to the Oklahoma River as well as an estimated $25 million needed to renovate Union Station
    • $4 million to be spread between senior centers numbers 1, 3 and 4.
    • $7.9 million to the whitewater facility for a new filtration system, zip line and improvements to meeting rooms
    • $20 million for a trail for connecting South Oklahoma City to the river trails via the May Avenue or Portland Avenue corridors.

The total requests of approximately far exceed the estimated overage and city council will likely have additional items that will compete for funding.

Proposed 4-person zip line over the whitewater facility

Proposed renovation of Union Station

Good news that we have some extra butter to put on our pancakes. However, is it a little concerning that the white water facility already needs a new $8mm filtration system?

Filtration, zip line, meeting rooms, other small improvements.

The filtration is to stop the water from being so brown.

Filtration, zip line, meeting rooms, other small improvements.

The filtration is to stop the water from being so brown.
    I would be okay with just the filtration system... Zip Line doesn't look to be anything special

Personally, I'd like to see it all go toward Union Station then everyone else can compete for what remains.

Personally, I'd like to see it all go toward Union Station then everyone else can compete for what remains.
    i would love the full union station renovation and then half of the budget .. for the lower park river connection

I'd like to see it go to Union Station and connecting the park to the River.

Wait, what about a couple miles of streetcar track!

It's interesting that the fairgrounds is already asking for $9M more for the coliseum before MAPS4 has even started.

Seems like at every turn, we are pouring more money into the fairgrounds and the boathouse area.

As a reminder, the lower park will basically stop at SW 15th.

The city owns the land to the south of 15th (commonly known as Riverfront Park) but there is currently no budget to include that section and tie it into the larger park.

As of now, Riverfront Park is not much of anything apart from the existing trail that runs through it.

We need someone to pony up and have the park over pass 15th, similar to the Gathering Place!

Blog Entries

Yeah the fairgrounds ask when we're not even executing on MAPS 4 yet is friggin annoying. What they're going to do I bet is get started with that 9M and then when the prioritization for MAPS4 spending comes up they'll say, well, now we have to be first because we already started. I'm so chapped. No lack of appreciation for the money they bring in, but damn.

But I love money going to Union and more bike trail (and south side love!). In particular, loving that the CC is turning out to be cheaper than expected. We were all worried it was going to be a $400M debacle and I'm cool with being wrong on that for what we're getting.

The southside trail would be similar to the Will Rogers Trail on the north side, from what was discussed at the meeting.

Blog Entries

The southside trail would be similar to the Will Rogers Trail on the north side, from what was discussed at the meeting.
    long overdue and a disappointment initially with MAPS3, not getting more south side trail expansion (I mean, yeah Draper, but...), glad for it to be rectified.

for me, trails should get it first. then Union station. but i'd be okay with the other way around, and have 30 go to union station and then the rest go to trails

Personally, I think fairgrounds and boathouse district still have strong visitation potential to maximize.

I think they should spend all the money on traffic control in and around the fairgrounds, which IMO is currently selfish, And Totally Impossible To Make Any Sense Of.

Thread Information