Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 222324252627

Thread: Maps 3

Default Re: Maps 3

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Trails should have gotten the 9 over the FG...
    Yep, fairgrounds should've gotten nothing, the citizens need more trails and senior centers, just glad Union Station didn't get screwed completely.

2. Default Re: Maps 3

Maybe they should hold off on thinking there's any extra money until they see how COVID affect revenues?

Blog Entries

MAPS3 dollars are fully collected and just have to be allocated. MAPS3 ended prior to Safer Streets, which just ended 3/31. 4/1 began MAPS4 collection.

Seriously unimpressed with the Fairgrounds taking MAPS 3 money for a MAPS 4 project.

Blog Entries

Drive north on I-40 Amarillo Junction, you'll see the impact of the horse shows with all the trailers parked where All Sports Stadium use to sit. The Bennett Event Center accommodates the trade shows associated with the horse related activity. Like it or not, many on this forum questioned the State Fair Board Trust management of the fairgrounds; the new State Fair Coliseum will be a game changer for Oklahoma City to retain and keep these events; also notice the hotels on the Meridian Hotel Corridor as many improvements are being made. The new State Fair Coliseum will be an engine to generate out-of-state sales tax dollars.

State Fair Park, in Oklahoma City is one of the largest and busiest event facilities in the country, as well as the center of Oklahoma City’s status as “Horse Show Capital of the World.” --https://businessviewmagazine.com/okl...rsatile-venue/

Over the past five years, an average of 836,000 horse show visitors have spent $175 million each year in Oklahoma City hotels and restaurants, adding $8.16 million to the city’s sales tax coffers.

Horse shows are big business for OKC
    https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/eco...ack=super_blog

I think the problem, at least for me, is the State Fair Board let most of us think we still had a "fairgrounds"...instead it has been transformed into a horse show venue. Nothing wrong with that but just let the people know.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Maps 3

Bennett Event Center, $58.7 million, 279,000-square-foot expo building.

State Fair Park has primarily transformed into an exposition
    grounds. The State Fair of Oklahoma operates 10 days annually in September.

The SFA will be replaced with a new venue, the State Fair Coliseum estimated to cost in the range of $100 million.

The $9 million in funds (MAPS 3) will be a starter to help with construction and anticipated MAPS 4 penny sales tax shortages anticipated from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Forecast: Oklahoma City voters may be asked to extend MAPS 4 (One or two years) in order to complete the package of 16 projects approved by voters in December 2019.

Concern: The new Big House will have a maximum seating capacity for basketball 7,300 (4,700 fixed seats & 2,600 lower/upper level retractable seats). The State Fair Arena could seat 10,300 for high school basketball playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Trails should have gotten the 9 over the FG...
    Absolutely ZERO chance the council was going to let $20MM for trails south of the river into South OKC. Heaven forbid South be connected to the trail system. Remind me again how much funding Hefner and the Katy trail been awarded in the last few years?

Quote Originally Posted by jdg78 View Post
    Absolutely ZERO chance the council was going to let $20MM for trails south of the river into South OKC. Heaven forbid South be connected to the trail system. Remind me again how much funding Hefner and the Katy trail been awarded in the last few years?
    It is the status quo for this city. In the MAPS 4 meetings on parks, the parks directory admitted that south okc has been neglected when it comes to parks and the whole city council and mayor just moved on without addressing the issue. I loathe our city government.

Not really sure where to put this and doesn't deserve its own thread but I am surprised to see them resurfacing and putting new curbs in on S Walker between 59 and 74th. What is surprising is putting in new curbs without the handicap access ramp in the curb. If they ever get around to doing sidewalks which this area needs, we will have to pay for all the curbs to be redone again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Not really sure where to put this and doesn't deserve its own thread but I am surprised to see them resurfacing and putting new curbs in on S Walker between 59 and 74th. What is surprising is putting in new curbs without the handicap access ramp in the curb. If they ever get around to doing sidewalks which this area needs, we will have to pay for all the curbs to be redone again
    Probably funded by Oklahoma City 2017 Go Bonds Better Streets, Safer City, 13 bond propositions...

City of Oklahoma City: https://www.okc.gov/residents/better...-city-projects

12. Default Re: Maps 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is covered under the ADA. New sidewalk construction with barriers to wheelchairs aren't compliant.

Article from VeloCity on the remaining Maps 3 projects:

https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/ins...J_wvA-ttvFJqHE

Video update of both of the wellness centers U/C

Anyone know what is going on with senior wellness center 4? In 2022 they said it would open in Feburary and the exterior isn't even completed.

Thread Information