Member of MAPS Board Quits, Cites Conflict Allegations

By Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, May 17, 1997
Edition: CITY, Section: NEWS, Page 03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIOG:
NAME:

UPD: 19970519 -TEXT-

Citing conflict of interest accusations, local steel executive Bert Cooper quit his job Friday as the vice chairman of the watchdog group that oversees Oklahoma City's Metropolitan Area Projects.

The outspoken and sometimes controversial member of the MAPS Citizens Oversight Board promised, however, that he will continue to make his voice heard by the city's leaders.

"I believe there are serious problems facing Oklahoma City as it relates to MAPS and I can no longer in good conscience serve on the board," Cooper announced during a news conference at his home.

Cooper was appointed to the 21-member board as an "at large" member in January 1994 - one month after voters approved the $300 million package. The watchdog group was promoted as a way to guard against problems that arose during construction of the Oklahoma County Jail in 1991.

Cooper is president of W&W Steel Co. of Oklahoma City, which is providing materials for construction of the $26.6 million MAPS-funded Bricktown ballpark. Cooper said Friday his firm also is set to work on renovations of the Myriad Convention Center, another MAPS job.

"I have been accused by city staff on more than one occasion of a conflict of interest, and I am here today to remove any perceived conflict," Cooper said.

"My firm and its 400 employees around the country are too important for me to allow misguided city staff to take potshots at them - or me."

Cooper provided reporters with copies of a March 24, 1994, memo from city attorneys Diane Lewis and Marsha Harrod that addressed whether he could serve on the MAPS citizens board.

The city attorneys suggested Cooper abstain from making any recommendations as a board member where an appearance of a conflict of interest existed.

Cooper would not name which city staffers had questioned his role as a board member, but he called the conflict of interest accusations "patently offensive."

Cooper said his resignation is immediate. He tried to resign in December, but Cooper said, Mayor Ron Norick persuaded him to stay on the board.

Norick was out of town Friday and could not be reached for comment.

Cooper also blamed his resignation on a report released by City Manager Don Bown. The city manager said the board was not providing recommendations that could help the city council and was largely responsible for negative opinions about MAPS.

"The MAPS board has spent thousands of hours studying and reviewing these projects and have spent countless hours warning that MAPS was in trouble," Cooper said. "All to no avail."

Cooper said he does not plan to give up his fight to persuade the city council to reconsider its decision to build a new central cooling and heating plant for the Myriad Convention Center.

Cooper said Friday he is willing to pay "whatever it takes" to pay for an independent study of the issue. "The numbers and studies put together by Oklahoma City have been unfair, inaccurate and in a word, cooked," Cooper said.

Cooper warned that the relationship is breaking down between the citizens board and the council it was created to advise.

Several city council members have privately said the MAPS board is too large and is no longer serving its original purpose.

Ed Barth, chairman of the board, said he regretted Cooper's resignation and expects the board will address the current problems Monday.

"He was a valuable member of the board, and we will miss him very much," Barth said.

"I want everyone to understand I believe in MAPS and am still a supporter of the projects," Cooper said.