Second Member Quits MAPS Panel In Frustration

By Steve Lackmeyer, Jack Money
Staff Writers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, May 23, 1997
Edition: CITY, Section: NEWS, Page 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIOG:
NAME:

UPD: 19970523 -TEXT-

Another member of Oklahoma City's MAPS Citizens Oversight Board has quit because of frustration about the way the program is run.

Byron Gambulos, appointed by Mayor Ron Norick to the 21-member group in January 1994, said he quit because he believes the city's $300 million Metropolitan Area Projects program "isn't going anywhere."

"I still believe in MAPS. It is the best thing to help Oklahoma City redevelop its downtown," Gambulos said Thursday. "It is just our execution that has been the problem."

The citizens oversight board was promoted as a safeguard against problems that arose during construction of the Oklahoma County Jail.

Several board members have complained, however, since City Manager Don Bown released a report critical of the group because he believes it has not provided helpful advice to the Oklahoma City Council.

The city manager also blamed the group for the public's negative perception of MAPS.

Gambulos said a lack of effective city leadership caused much of the program's problems.

He also said that Bown's recommendation to hire a construction manager now is not a good idea.

"Right now, we have six tiers of review, and we are getting ready to add a seventh," he said. "Does this make good sense?"

Gambulos' resignation marks the second departure in the past week. The board's vice chairman, Bert Cooper, stepped down Friday after saying he was offended by Bown's criticism.

At Thursday's Citizens Oversight Board meeting, group Chairman J. Edward Barth defended the group.

"The independence of this board has perhaps caused some people to conclude that our members have been critical, but I believe ... this shows the system is working," Barth said.

He credited the board with several improvements in MAPS policies and for a council decision to include air conditioning in the renovation of the Jim Norick Arena at the fairgrounds.

Barth praised board members for donating their time to attend monthly board and committee meetings, where MAPS matters were reviewed in greater detail.

As for Gambulos, he said he wants MAPS to succeed so badly, "it hurts."

"I think it (MAPS) needs leadership - people working together. I would rather all of us swim rather than sink."