Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Maps 3

1. Default Re: MAPS 3 Oversight Board

Ummmmmm......
    Let's see: the first board had powerful community leaders: Bert Cooper, Eric Groves, Jim Bowers Jr., Ed Barth and more... this group has Tom McDaniel and ...
    The first board had members appointed by the mayor and council and the mayor could not remove at will. This board has members appointed the by the mayor, who he can remove at will.
    Not doing any commentary here, just making notes....

Default Re: MAPS 3 Oversight Board

I'm hearing contradictory claims...this board is made up of the same 'ol names as usual, but no big names like the first board?

I'm not sure we need the powerful community leaders to have even more power...as that tends to corrupt. The fact that we have not heard of most of these people could be a good thing. How arrogant of us to assume competence from only a select group of leaders. Plus, I want the oversight board to be in touch with the real people of Oklahoma City. The established leaders already serve on enough committees and boards as it is. Their influence is not going away by not being on this advisory board.

3. Default Re: MAPS 3 Oversight Board

Not assuming competence at all. But competence and influence are two different things, especially on a committee where members can be removed by the mayor at will. Again, just asking questions - how will this work?

Mayor Cornett,

I think you should have the County Election Board verify that each nominee did in fact partipate in the voting process on Dec 8, 2009. If any of the nominees did not cast a vote, then they are automatically disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by possumfritter View Post
    Mayor Cornett,

I think you should have the County Election Board verify that each nominee did in fact partipate in the voting process on Dec 8, 2009. If any of the nominees did not cast a vote, then they are automatically disqualified.
    Possum, I'm not disagreeing with you, but do have any reason for suspecting that any of these people didn't vote? If not, why do you suggest that?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Possum, I'm not disagreeing with you, but do have any reason for suspecting that any of these people didn't vote? If not, why do you suggest that?
    ljbab728...I do not know any of these folks, and I promise ya, my suggestions was not based on any suspicions. Personally, I just wouldn't want anyone on this committee that didn't take the time to vote on this initiative. Kinda along the same lines that I hope that the nominees actually live in the Wards they are representing.

Shoot, maybe they better check to see if the City Council members voted too? I couldn't tell ya if my councilman did (Ward 8, Pat Ryan), because he never answers an e-mail, at least none of mine.

On the positive side, at least there will be an oversight committee in place, no matter if it's truly representative of the "voting" public or not.

Tom McDaniel as chair is kind of intriguing. Former Dean of the OCU Law School, former President of the University. I'm guessing OCU Law's interests will be well looked after.

Midtowner...are you thinking the OCU Law Center's PCDC is going to benefit in some way, or that there will be some "new" construction going on in and around the Law School?

What does McDaniel do now?

Midtowner...are you thinking the OCU Law Center's PCDC is going to benefit in some way, or that there will be some "new" construction going on in and around the Law School?

I think OCU Law in general is going to benefit hugely from MAPS in an indirect manner. Having McDaniel as Chair virtually assures that the school's needs will be addressed. As far as the PCDC, I think having proximity to the courthouses/jail/biglaw firms will probably be a bit of a boon. Will probably raise its profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not assuming competence at all. But competence and influence are two different things, especially on a committee where members can be removed by the mayor at will. Again, just asking questions - how will this work?
    Are you asking the questions to the forum or do you plan to question those that might be in the know - like the mayor, city council members or Metro?

11. Smile Re: MAPS 3 Oversight Board

Just Metro.

The removal at will power can be a come back and bitecha matter, but hopefully not.

Even if the current mayor doesn't remove anyone, assume he is not reelected (for whatever reason)
    A new mayor could choose to remove all at will appointments

FF 4 yrs, and if the new mayor be a dud, presto, nuther new mayor
    That new mayor II could remove all appointees by new mayor I

Seems a somewhat messy way to address a long term plan like M3

Oh well, hope for the best.

Well, the board has no coercive power anyhow, so they're only as relevant as any given majority of the Council wants them to be. There's still PLENTY of opportunity to hijack this program the way it was set up.

Wasn't OCU going to relocate the law school into the Fred Jones building but ONLY if MAPS 3 passed (to be on one of the Streetcar routes which supposedly hadn't even been determined)? Maybe him being the Chair will expedite the Streetcars further along than the last City staff quoted 10 year time frame.

If not mistaken McDaniel is President of the University...stepping down in June(?)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    ...Even if the current mayor doesn't remove anyone, assume he is not reelected (for whatever reason)
    A new mayor could choose to remove all at will appointments...
    All true but we are "safe" for another 4 years since Cornett just got re-elected.

16. Default Re: MAPS 3 Oversight Board

Tom McDaniel is the only name even remotely familiar to me.

Someone (midtowner?) want to fill us in on who some of these people are? I think their nomination makes their background/personal info fair game.

NewsOK

Cornett nominates 11 to MAPS 3 board (Oklahoman, 3/27/10)

"I wanted a collection of people that were passionate about these projects and passionate about the city, but I was not looking for a list of city hall insiders,” Cornett said.

Board members will serve staggered terms, meaning the group’s makeup will change throughout the process, which will include the seven years and nine months the tax is collected and whatever additional time is needed to complete all the projects.

The group will review all aspects of the $777 million MAPS 3 program, including site selection, contracts, construction updates and expenditures.

However, the group does not have veto power over spending decisions like the MAPS for Kids trust. Additionally, Cornett can remove the at-large members for any reason and can remove representatives from the eight wards with a recommendation from the ward’s council member.
    On the surface not seeing the connection between the nominees and the specific projects, but we can hope the Mayor meant what he said.

From the "More Info" sidebar

The nominees
    • Tom McDaniel, chairman, president of Oklahoma City University
    • Dee Morales, at-large, self-employed freelance television producer
    • Susan Hooper, Ward 1, self-employed education consultant
    • Michael Dover, Ward 2, chief executive officer of Variety Care
    • Kimberly Lowe, Ward 3, self-employed public relations and advertising professional
    • Zane Boatright, Ward 4, director of strategic planning for Tinker Air Force Base Command, Control, Communications and Computers
    • Michael Adams, Ward 5, vice president and corporate controller for LSB Industries
    • Nathaniel Harding, Ward 6, manager of operations for Harding & Shelton
    • Wayne Williams, Ward 7, operations engineer for Oklahoma Natural Gas
    • Rusty LaForge, Ward 8, attorney for McAfee & Taft
    • Larry McAtee, Ward 3 councilman

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    NewsOK

Cornett nominates 11 to MAPS 3 board (Oklahoman, 3/27/10)

On the surface not seeing the connection between the nominees and the specific projects, but we can hope the Mayor meant what he said.

From the "More Info" sidebar
    I'm of the understanding that each project in MAPS 3 will also have a subcommittee that will provide input to the CAB. I know this because I was asked to sit on one. Whether it happens or not, that's what my councilmember told me. For what it's worth.

With 1,500 or so homeless folks in and around OKC, I would like to see 2 more "at-large" appointments...one each from the "Coalition for the Needy" and one from the "Homeless Alliance."

With 1,500 or so homeless folks in and around OKC, I would like to see 2 more "at-large" appointments...one each from the "Coalition for the Needy" and one from the "Homeless Alliance."
    With 1.2 million or so non-homeless in the OKC area, why do the homeless get so much more representation than the rest of us?

Actually there are almost 5,000 homeless in OKC, but not sure how that relates to MAPS 3 oversight board.

I'm not really concerned about the 1.2 million in the wider metropolitan area (31 out of 100 of them have already been heard).

BBL...looking for the figures on exactly how many people actually live in the "downtown" area (not counting the Homeless).

Am surprised there hasn't been hardly any mention of the first meeting of the MAPS 3 oversight Board that was held this week. Think Steve alluded to it in a thread or his blog about anyone doubting the Mayor's new convention center preference.

I will say this, I don't recall seeing anything about it in the paper (before/after) or on these threads. Am sure there had to be public posting of the meeting, agenda etc. I am in the middle of watching it so not ready to comment otherwise yet but did any one else catch it (was right before the morning Lets Talk Transit meeting). Thoughts?

Larry, I don't imagine that any of those appointees would have the gall to take on the mayor and council if they started to deviate from the MAPS vision.

Thread Information