Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Maps 3

Default Re: Maps 3

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    long overdue and a disappointment initially with MAPS3, not getting more south side trail expansion (I mean, yeah Draper, but...), glad for it to be rectified.
    What chaps me about Draper is they built a concrete trail around the lake for walkers, runners, and cyclists and there is no charge to use it. However on the land that the OEF leases from the Water Board on the east side of Post, the Water Board charges MTB's to pay a $25.00 annual fee to use the trails they had no part in constructing.

Blog Entries

whoa, had no idea. that is very chap-worthy...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's interesting that the fairgrounds is already asking for $9M more for the coliseum before MAPS4 has even started.

Seems like at every turn, we are pouring more money into the fairgrounds and the boathouse area.
    Remind me again if you would, I saw a breakdown on KFOR that allocated $63 million to the "fair ground coliseum." Is that correct? I have also seen Maps4 breakdowns that state the money isn't allocated into portions yet, and is more on a first come, first serve allocation system. Could you please clarify?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    What chaps me about Draper is they built a concrete trail around the lake for walkers, runners, and cyclists and there is no charge to use it. However on the land that the OEF leases from the Water Board on the east side of Post, the Water Board charges MTB's to pay a $25.00 annual fee to use the trails they had no part in constructing.
    Good point Jersey Boss.

Decisions like these we need to address in any MAPS and future initiatives; especially the White Water Rapid facility that was among the first MAPS 3 projects to be completed, many of us applauded this project's construction, now we're hearing about the many funding vices in operating this facility that now needs a new filtering system; they need to figure out some immediate cost cutting measures because this facility will be a future drain on any funds used to support it. Figure something out in this off season...

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Remind me again if you would, I saw a breakdown on KFOR that allocated $63 million to the "fair ground coliseum." Is that correct? I have also seen Maps4 breakdowns that state the money isn't allocated into portions yet, and is more on a first come, first serve allocation system. Could you please clarify?
    $63M is the amount that has been proposed, not counting this additional request.

The money isn't officially allocated to get around election rules, but there has been a commitment from the mayor that these budgets will be honored:

https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?...MAPS4-projects

Also interesting to note that due to an existing fairgrounds project for MAPS 3, they had the opportunity to put in a request for additional MAPS 3 funds for the coliseum which is a MAPS 4 project.

In other words, almost all the MAPS 4 project groups are not represented in MAPS 3, so they did not get the same opportunity.

For example, the soccer stadium, the animal shelter... If we're going to open this up to MAPS 4 projects, then they all should get a chance to submit requests.

Blog Entries

So 72M for the fairgrounds arena. Uncomfortably close to the cost of the MAPS1 downtown arena. I realize not entirely apples to apples because of inflation but still, I bet it won't be nearly as solid as the original Ford Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Filtration, zip line, meeting rooms, other small improvements.

The filtration is to stop the water from being so brown.
    Is the source water the oklahoma river or the city water system?

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    I'd like to see it go to Union Station and connecting the park to the River.
    Ditto.

And a hard no on letting the fairgrounds grab yet more tax money to spend with zero oversight.

Blog Entries

The economic impact of the horse industry & related trade shows staged at State Fair Park justifies putting money into State Fair Park complex which generates $230 million a year in direct spending and more than $400 million a year in total economic impact: https://statefairparkokc.com/new-col...shows-benefits

The horse & trade shows need to be addressed ASAP before we lose many of these events to Fort Worth who is well equipped to lure these annual events to Cowtown--much like the NFR's Las Vegas adventure; we won't get them back.

Bennett Event Center & State Fair Coliseum dual will be equivalent to a convention center complex at State Fair Park.

Know that many of you on this forum have a bad taste in your mouth (justified IMO) about the State Fair Board Trust (SFBT)--City possesses these records. The SFBT issue should have been put to rest at its beginning because there seems to be an after affect about its trust & stewardship that has left a bad taste about anything related to the State Fair Park's 440 acre parcel.

You bet Fort Worth is waiting for Oklahoma City to drop the ball.

The International Finals Rodeo (IFR) now staged at the Lazy E in Guthrie (accommodates 7,233 mostly non chair back seats) needs to be brought back to OKC where we can maximize the IFR's potential in a new 5,000 seat arena at SFP with chair back seats. The Meridian hotel corridor will benefit from the construction of the new State Fair Coliseum.

Lazy E Arena: https://www.lazye.com/facilities

Blog Entries

SMG manages Chesapeake Energy Arena & Cox Convention Center: https://facilitiesonline.com/uncateg...oth-facilities

How about we get some of our money back due to excessive taxation. Surprised this has not yet been discussed.

13. Default Re: Maps 3

How about using some to get theft resistant street and highway lights?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    How about using some to get theft resistant street and highway lights?
    How about an unbiased Lotto making 40 new instant millionaires in OKC?

I would like the connection to the river or the central station proposal. Is there any chance a wealthy person would take on either of these projects?

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Is the source water the oklahoma river or the city water system?
    City water. It just gets so dirty from wind blowing dirt in. I’m sure the constant churning doesn’t help the look either.

I'm fully prepared for Holt and the gang to screw this deal up. The zip-line is just an awful idea, as is giving more money to the senior shelters.

100% of this should be (a) returned to the OKC taxpayers in one form or another; (b) invested in local tech startups; or (c) used to lure Fortune 1000 companies

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I'm fully prepared for Holt and the gang to screw this deal up. The zip-line is just an awful idea, as is giving more money to the senior shelters.

100% of this should be (a) returned to the OKC taxpayers in one form or another; (b) invested in local tech startups; or (c) used to lure Fortune 1000 companies
    no

Blog Entries

Well, if maps is going to build the west river bike path, then why can’t they use some of this money to fix the now closed off trail at I-40?

21. Default Re: Maps 3

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

I have no vote but this is a big no.

Press release:

Oklahoma City Council uses extra MAPS 3 capital funds to boost park, senior center and coliseum projects
    04/14/2020

Scissortail Park, MAPS 3 Senior Health and Wellness Centers and the MAPS 4 Fairgrounds Coliseum will have boosted budgets thanks in large part to MAPS 3 capital sales tax collections that exceeded expectations.

The Oklahoma City Council voted Tuesday to allocate about $33 million in additional MAPS 3 sales tax collections to the projects:
    • $19 million to buy and renovate Union Station to incorporate it into Scissortail Park, along with improvements to the park’s lower section and a connection to the Oklahoma River.
    • $9 million for the MAPS 4 Fairgrounds Coliseum.
    • $4.975 million to three of the MAPS 3 senior centers:
    • $2.2 million for Center No. 4 (to be located on Western Avenue south of SW 134th Street).
    • $1.8 million for Center. No. 3 (to be located at NE 36th Street and Lincoln Boulevard).
    • $975,000 for Center No. 1 (11501 N Rockwell Ave., healthylivingokc.com).

A strong economy throughout most of the MAPS 3 temporary sales tax collection period boosted collections beyond projections. MAPS 3’s Oklahoma City Convention Center project also came in well under budget, returning more money to the program. Other additional money comes from interest and unused contingency funds.

MAPS 3 sales tax collections are by law required to fund capital improvement projects. The City Council has discretion on how to spend the funds, as long as it’s for capital projects and not operations or other uses.

About the projects

Union Station sits at the southwest corner of Scissortail Park’s upper section. The City’s Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority (COTPA) owns the building and has offices in it. The City will buy and renovate it to incorporate it into the park.

Other parts of the newly approved funding will pay for further improvements to Scissortail Park’s 30-acre Lower Park, including a better connection to the Oklahoma River south of SW 15th Street. Construction is scheduled to begin this year and finish in 2021.

The Fairgrounds Coliseum is partially funded by $63 million of MAPS 4 funds. The rest of the funding will come from Tuesday’s Council action and at least $25 million from hotel tax revenues already earmarked for fairgrounds improvements. It will be the new home of major national, state and local events that attract visitors from around the world who boost the local economy with their spending.

The improvements at the MAPS 3 Senior Health and Wellness Centers are to ensure parking lots, locker rooms and other facilities will meet anticipated demand. The first center has already been expanded with additional public and private funds after initial demand exceeded expectations. That prompted the use of the additional funding for the new centers to help meet needs from day one.

These were the requests made by the MAPS Board.

Fairgrounds got the full $9M requested; senior centers got the almost $5M they wanted.

Union Station got $19M of the $30M they asked for; trails got $0 despite asking for $20M.

Nvm...

Blog Entries

Trails should have gotten the 9 over the FG...

Thread Information