Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Default Re: Trader Joe's

As I stated earlier, I've heard NH Plaza, Classen Curve and perhaps some or all of the Triangle properties are under contract to the same buyer.

As with Ruth's Chris at CC, I'm hoping the Trader Joe's deal will be consummated once the sale is official. Wouldn't be surprised if everything has already been negotiated, just contingent on the closing of the property.

If all this works out, TJ's could go in there pretty quickly as the space is already gutted and ready to go and when they built out the store very near me, I was amazed at how fast it all went.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, TJ's is more city oriented than suburbs.

They do go to the suburbs, but usually only after establishing locations in the cities themselves.

I realize NH is technically a suburb, but it's really just a small island in the middle of North OKC as opposed to Edmond, Norman, etc.

I'm sure TJ's will eventually go to Edmond and Moore/Norman but I doubt they would open their first Metro location in either.
    The Boulder and South Metro locations are opening the same day as the semi-close to Downtown Denver (8th & Colorado) location that is part of a bigger development under construction. The other locations are to open later. The one in Capitol Hill (right by my wife's office) was announced earlier this month.
    Denver Post - Trader Joe's announces opening date for first Colorado stores, 5th location

The first Austin location is in the Rolligwood area of Southwest Austin (Bee Caves, west of Mopac), it opened a couple of months ago. Two more locations to open next year in The Arboretum (North Austin) and in the Seaholm Powerplant development in downtown.

TJ's and WF don't really compete heads-up, as TJ's is much more price and value driven and WF more about organic items and higher price points. Out here in Cali, it's not unusual for them to be located near each other.
    Very true, Pete. TJ's and WF are both within walking distance of where my brother lives in LA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Remember though that these stores choose location based on the number of high-income rooftops within at 1, 3, and 5 mile radius. Using their formula, Nichols Hills is probably the only place in the OKC metro that qualifies, it only barely.
    I'm not doubting your stats, because I am clueless about such matters, but I have often looked curiously upon the TJ's in Tucson that don't seem to be anywhere near higher income areas, UNLESS they're banking on the people with expensive mountain/foothill homes, which I do notice all four of the locations are close-ish to the foothills... but even then, it's hard to imagine that population being enough to support FOUR locations! I'm actually surprised none of them are remotely close to downtown (or at least between downtown and the university), which is growing with condos and such, plus their streetcar line (which goes from downtown to the University), much like downtown OKC. Lastly, only one of the four is close-ish to the commonly recognized "best neighborhoods" in Tucson that I can tell. But I must disclaim that while I spent the first four years of my life there and have been back every other year since because I have family there (and I may well retire there), I'm not as intimately familiar with the area as others might be...

Trader Joe's opened their first San Antonio location over a year in the Quarry Village shopping center, about five miles north of downtown. A second location is now under construction in Stone Oak, about 15 miles north of downtown.

The rumor is TJ will open a store in Southtown, an art district just south of downtown. Other rumored locations include the Alamo Ranch area in far west San Antonio and Schertz/Cibolo suburbs.

It's also been rumored and pretty much confirmed that Aldi will expand into San Antonio after they're done with their current Houston build out.

From Steve's chat:

11:21 Comment From Gary T: What's the latest on Trader Joe's?

11:22 Steve Lackmeyer: I'll be shocked if a deal isn't done in the next few months.

I really think TJ's is waiting for the sale of Nichols Hills Plaza to be complete.

I've heard it is under contract and that Chesapeake did not want to sign any leases before the sale.

I also believe this is the same situation for Ruth's Chris at Classen Curve.

Blog Entries

Per Steve's chat this is going into an existing structure.

I'm sure Steve is hearing exactly what I'm hearing: A lease for NH Plaza will be announced after the sale closes, which should be soon.

I'm sure Steve is hearing exactly what I'm hearing: A lease for NH Plaza will be announced after the sale closes, which should be soon.
    Pretty much the spot we thought all along. For those that have been to both, what are the main differences between TJ and WF? I have been to the WF here multiple times and have only been to a TJ once in Dallas and that was just to look around to see what all the fuss is about. Is it the size mostly? Selection? Help a brotha out...

Blog Entries

sucks for downtown, why do the 'Peakers get a the cool stuff (TJs, WF, anthro, etc etc etc)?

(just whining, I know this is overall good for OKC, and I will visit)

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pretty much the spot we thought all along. For those that have been to both, what are the main differences between TJ and WF? I have been to the WF here multiple times and have only been to a TJ once in Dallas and that was just to look around to see what all the fuss is about. Is it the size mostly? Selection? Help a brotha out...
    Trader Joe's is pretty much the "upscale" version of Aldi. They sell a lot of unique things hard to find elsewhere especially in OKC, and their prices are really good. I'm a bit disappointed TJ here won't be able to sell alcohol (I don't think they have a 3.2 version of their beers), but I'll definitely shop there when they open. I think OKC could handle a few Trader Joe's locations.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    sucks for downtown, why do the 'Peakers get a the cool stuff (TJs, WF, anthro, etc etc etc)?

Agreed...Seems to be an odd place with Whole Foods, Sprouts, Forward Foods so close. Just b/c a grocery was their doesn't mean another is needed. I haven't been but to one TJs, but they don't seem to bring much to the plate in that area that isn't already well represented. Why not downtown or very near downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Trader Joe's is pretty much the "upscale" version of Aldi. They sell a lot of unique things hard to find elsewhere especially in OKC, and their prices are really good. I'm a bit disappointed TJ here won't be able to sell alcohol (I don't think they have a 3.2 version of their beers), but I'll definitely shop there when they open. I think OKC could handle a few Trader Joe's locations.
    I've done a little digging and their beers (not sure if just some or all) are brewed by Unibrue. Now Unibrue is a pretty tasty Canadian brewery that makes some pretty quality and very high point beers.

Quote Originally Posted by musg8411 View Post
    Agreed...Seems to be an odd place with Whole Foods, Sprouts, Forward Foods so close. Just b/c a grocery was their doesn't mean another is needed. I haven't been but to one TJs, but they don't seem to bring much to the plate in that area that isn't already well represented. Why not downtown or very near downtown.
    Forward Foods on Western closed down recently, but doesn't change the point that it is close to several other grocers much like it.

There will be multiple TJ's in OKC, I'm sure of that. For one thing, their stores are only about half the size of a Whole Foods, so they tend to have more locations in general.

As far as the difference, Trader Joe's is a very hard concept to describe and one that I was very slow to warm up to when I first moved to Cali. However, I go into a TJ's every week or two and have been into the new, huge, fabulous Whole Foods very nearby perhaps twice in ten years.

Here are the plusses and minuses I see in the two:

Trader Joe's
    + Great prices
    + Many items you can't find anywhere else
    + Do a great job of selecting unique and new items (I trust anything they stock will be good, and it's usually borderline amazing)
    + Fantastically friendly and helpful service
    + Decent selection of prepared foods
    + Lots of blogs and sites devoted to helping you determine great things to try
    - Very different than most grocery stores and it can take a while to "get it"
    - No deli, bakery or butcher. Has lots of items in those areas but none of it is prepared on site.
    - Some of everything (like produce) but you'll still probably need a regular grocery store; no real household items or the like
    - Smallish stores that are often crowded
    - Because the allure is a bunch of little, unique, ever-changing items, there are tons of people standing in the aisles rummaging through every little jar and package

Whole Foods
    + Big organic selection
    + Emphasis on health food
    + Big deli and other areas where food is prepared
    + Bigger stores, tend to be less crowded
    - Can be crazy expensive (which is not worth it to me)
    - Not a complete replacement for a full grocery store

I see a Trader Joes as a nice complement to my current grocery mix. I generally buy all of my produce and meat at Sprouts. Dry good, juice, bread, etc at the NW Exp Buy for Less. I'm just not a Whole Foods guy.

I go to Costco for the big bulk items (pet food, some food and household stuff), Ralph's (Kroger) for general stuff and Trader Joe's for snacks, cheeses, wine and their specialty items.

Here are some of the things I love at TJ's:

Chili tortillas -- chunks of chili peppers
    Frozen orange chicken
    Frozen brown rice packets
    Frozen gnochi
    Tortilla chips -- huge bag, delicious and cheap
    Several of their salsas and dips
    All types of cheese -- great and cheap!
    Specialty Thai and Indian simmer sauces
    Some really interesting crackers and cookies
    All types of seasonal items
    Lots of great deserts

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I've done a little digging and their beers (not sure if just some or all) are brewed by Unibrue. Now Unibrue is a pretty tasty Canadian brewery that makes some pretty quality and very high point beers.
    Yeah their beers are awesome. Simpler Times Pilsner is my favorite. I drank it all the time when I lived in Charlotte. It seems to me they have some beers that are 4.0 ABV and below that could be sold here. How is it in Colorado?

20. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post

1. Rooftops
    2. Demographics

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    1. Rooftops
    2. Demographics
    Rooftops makes total sense and I knew about that one. Demographics don't make sense to me. It's not cheap to live downtown. Generally if you can afford to live there you can afford to shop at TJs.

As much as I would love to have a Trader Joes near me in DT there simply aren't enough households down here, especially households with the type of income/tastes to shop at a place like TJs. Its getting close, just not yet. 63rd/Western is not a bad drive for most people living downtown. And given the fact that this there first store in this market, they probably want to play it safe.

Nichols Hills Plaza lies in the middle of a "golden corridor" of affluent households anchored by downtown and upscale in-town neighborhoods like Heritage Hills and Crown Heights to the south, Nichols Hills in the middle, and Quail Creek and South Edmond to the north. So being located there they can kinda catch everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    1. Rooftops
    2. Demographics
    So unimaginative.

From Steve's chat:

11:21 Comment From Gary T: What's the latest on Trader Joe's?

11:22 Steve Lackmeyer: I'll be shocked if a deal isn't done in the next few months.

Forward Foods on Western closed down recently, but doesn't change the point that it is close to several other grocers much like it.
    They don't worry about that. As I've mentioned before, there is both a WF and and TJ within walking distance of where my brother lives in LA.

Thread Information