Widgets Magazine
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trader Joe's

Went on Sunday afternoon. Was super packed, but not uncomfortably so, everything moved along nicely.

Stopped by yesterday. Blew $140. Enjoyed it.

3. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Thought readers of this thread might find this interesting: http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2...ampaign=buffer

^

That is interesting. I've had no problem parking at the NH Plaza store and worse case is to park across Avondale and hoof it over. No big deal.

I can tell you, however, that several stores in the L.A. area were nightmares in terms of parking. Many would have cars lined up out in the street at peak times.

5. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Same. I've never had one single issue finding parking when I pull into the lot.

We, too, have always been able to park within a few steps of the door. Granted, our trips there have all been on weekdays during business hours when perhaps the crowds are thinner.

I went on opening night, and it was packed and I still parked 20 feet from the door. It's never been an issue. That shopping center has plenty of parking. Now, it may be an aberration for TJ's, since there are so many other businesses in that center. I'm not familiar enough with their other locations to know.

We've only gone at peak time on weekends and never had any issues parking. I don't think I've ever even had to drive down a 2nd row before finding a perfectly fine spot. To be fair though, our Trader's parking lot is much bigger than other ones I've seen.

9. Default Re: Trader Joe's

I said the article was interesting and relevant to discussion of TJ, not that it necessarily applied to this location, since it went into an existing center. That said, I do recall some concerns being expressed early on regarding the parking lot size, and this article explains why the TJ folks were UNconcerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I said the article was interesting and relevant to discussion of TJ, not that it necessarily applied to this location, since it went into an existing center. That said, I do recall some concerns being expressed early on regarding the parking lot size, and this article explains why the TJ folks were UNconcerned.
    I visited a Trader Joe's in Dallas and the parking lot was tiny. 4 rows of 15, you have to circle around until someone leaves to get a spot.

I noticed that Trader Joe's is selling folding corkscrews with their logo on it. It won't be too long until "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wine) is on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I noticed that Trader Joe's is selling folding corkscrews with their logo on it. It won't be too long until "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wine) is on the shelves.
    I was in there a couple of days ago.

I'm sure they'll convert the far east end of the store to wine and beer, as that is how their stores in Cali were merchandised.

I'm very curious to see what these stores are going to carry in terms of beer. I would think the local breweries would be well represented.

I'm most interested in Sam's Club and if they'll be offering any of the local brews at somewhat discounted prices.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I visited a Trader Joe's in Dallas and the parking lot was tiny. 4 rows of 15, you have to circle around until someone leaves to get a spot.
    The Denver Capitol Hill location has very little parking, the Greenwood Village location is in a big box strip. The location on Colorado Blvd. is the only one that sells beer/wine. I don't think the others even sell 3.2 beer.

Raring to go for Monday:

Still no mention of expansion from TJ's? Just the single store in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Still no mention of expansion from TJ's? Just the single store in this area?
    Y'know, good timing, I was going to ask this after we went last Sat and it was insane. We went once a few months after opening, figured it'd be busy as hell then because it was new. Went last Sat and you could barely move it was so packed. They really need 3 stores here - one north (Edmond or Memorial Rd), the current one, and one south (maybe Moore or Norman, don't know south too well to know where one would go). Seems like TJ's would figure out they can go into any number of empty strip malls here and instantly make tons of money.

Having said that, is there ever a day/time where every aisle isn't literally so full of people you have a hard time walking through it (much less pushing a cart, which we will never do there, just a hand basket) and there aren't 5 people in line at every register (and every register is open)?

I don't think they are even close to looking for another OKC location right now.

And I can assure you, that every single location I visited in California were way, way busier than anything I've seen here.

The OKC does well but it's minor leagues compared to what I used to see... Many locations had cars circling and looking for a parking space.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think they are even close to looking for another OKC location right now.

And I can assure you, that every single location I visited in California were way, way busier than anything I've seen here.

The OKC does well but it's minor leagues compared to what I used to see... Many locations had cars circling and looking for a parking space.
    Interesting - that's the exact opposite of what we experienced in Chicagoland. The store we went to was in Downers Grove, and was crazy busy the first few months it was open, then it went down to normal levels - maybe 1/4 full, no more than 2-3 people in each register line, with only 3-4 registers being open, so that's kind of how I expected this one to go. They were also located in a strip mall with tons of parking, so there was never any limit on parking, the lot could hold hundreds of cars, IIRC. Oh well, we'll have to go during a weekday and hope it's marginally better.

The few times I've gone to Trader Joe's, I've gone between 8-10 a.m. on a weekend morning, and it's been fine.

I've never been in a trader joes anywhere else that wasn't packed every time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Y'know, good timing, I was going to ask this after we went last Sat and it was insane. We went once a few months after opening, figured it'd be busy as hell then because it was new. Went last Sat and you could barely move it was so packed. They really need 3 stores here - one north (Edmond or Memorial Rd), the current one, and one south (maybe Moore or Norman, don't know south too well to know where one would go). Seems like TJ's would figure out they can go into any number of empty strip malls here and instantly make tons of money.

Having said that, is there ever a day/time where every aisle isn't literally so full of people you have a hard time walking through it (much less pushing a cart, which we will never do there, just a hand basket) and there aren't 5 people in line at every register (and every register is open)?
    I think a Norman TJ’s would kill it.

22. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Yes, the same time it is best to go anywhere in Oklahoma- Sunday mornings, when the entire rest of the state is at church.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The only ones here with the car issue are the ones near downtown with very little parking and "Trader Joe's Parking Only" signs all over their smaller lots but they are in the urban districts (Capitol Hill and the former UCH/VA/CU Med School campus). The closest one to us is 16 miles from us and in a big box mall, no parking issues there as the mall has plenty of parking.

24. Default Re: Trader Joe's

TJs here in Seattle/WA are not busy at all aside from typically just being smaller and therefore crowded (vs busy). Costco on the other hand, nearly all of them are busy. Sams Club pulled out. ....

I think OKC could use a few more TJs, NW OKC and Moore/Norman. That'd probably be enough until downtown really got the point for one in about 5-years.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I'm just glad that we even have a Trader Joe's. It wasn't long ago at all that we were starving for just one. It's a decent location for it too.

Anyway, I bought my first bottle of Chuck yesterday! I'm glad to say that although it's "Three Buck Chuck" here ("Four" in the case of the noir, which was sold out) due to the shipping I'm sure, it's cheaper than other stores that are further from the East coast, so I read. Don't really want to bang down a bottle in one sitting, so I'm waiting for an occasion to crack it.

Thread Information