Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Default Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I would assume that most Oklahoma legislators do not drink, so why expect them to take any interest in doing what it takes to get together and reform Oklahoma's drinking laws. It will take citizens doing something like circulating a petition to vote on reform. But probably too few citizens are interested in doing that.
    Maybe because they're elected to represent our beliefs and not theirs????

Well the beliefs of most Oklahomans, especially those over 30, are probably that alcohol consumption is sin so they will do all they can to support restrictive laws however restrictive they may be. Younger Christians are evolving on that issue but alcohol is still a big deal to a lot of fundamentalists.

Let's stay on subject, please.

Back to discussing Trader Joe's rather than liquor laws.

The sale of NHP happened months ago and we were told a deal with TJ's would be done shortly after the closing. What is the hold up? West Elm already moved in front of this and it wasn't really even on the radar before the closing.

We only knew about West Elm because I saw the building permit.

Remember, NH Plaza is in the City of NH and they don't have an easy on-line system of tracking permits, so we won't necessarily know exactly when they are filed.

With these large national retailers they can only handle x number of store openings per region, so although this seems to be a done deal, it doesn't mean TJ's is ready to start building. Same with Ruth's Chris at Classen Curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We only knew about West Elm because I saw the building permit.

Remember, NH Plaza is in the City of NH and they don't have an easy on-line system of tracking permits, so we won't necessarily know exactly when they are filed.

With these large national retailers they can only handle x number of store openings per region, so although this seems to be a done deal, it doesn't mean TJ's is ready to start building. Same with Ruth's Chris at Classen Curve.
    Makes sense. I just know we have been discussing it on this forum for about six months now and it seemed like every couple of weeks we heard "A deal should be struck any day now" and then nothing until the next one. Not doubting Pete or the contacts or even saying this is not going to happen, just curious why we never heard anything official yet. Thanks Pete for all your hard work.

I have no doubt TJ's has been in town and has picked NH Plaza as a site.

However, that doesn't mean they've agreed on terms or that the timing is quite right. On the other hand, if they have real estate people in the market actively seeking a site, that indicates this market is a priority.

I still expect we will hear something in the next month or two.

One other thing to keep in mind regarding Classen Curve and NH Plaza...

Tom Blanton was the leasing agent for both and is now part of the new ownership group.

So, I'm sure the continuity of any negotiations has been maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Well the beliefs of most Oklahomans, especially those over 30, are probably that alcohol consumption is sin so they will do all they can to support restrictive laws however restrictive they may be. Younger Christians are evolving on that issue but alcohol is still a big deal to a lot of fundamentalists.
    That is a load of crap, most restaurants, bars, liquor stores and liquor distributorships in Oklahoma are owned by people well over 30 years old. They are also the majority who push legislators to maintain the status quo to keep national retailers like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Walmart, Target, Kroger, etc. from selling alcohol in the state. If both Oklahoma and Colorado went to a (non 3.2) beer/wine in grocery stores and liquor licenses like Texas has it would better serve the public but not the entrenched interests.

Large Chain Re: Trader Joe's

So, it's been about 2 months since the old Crescent Market was sold. I'm guessing no news on if TJ's is going into NH Plaza?

Quote Originally Posted by WenDragon View Post
    So, it's been about 2 months since the old Crescent Market was sold. I'm guessing no news on if TJ's is going into NH Plaza?
    No news yet but still think it's coming.

I believe the new owners are taking their time to figure out the best tenant mix for NH Plaza and the surrounding properties.

Do you know if OKC is on the cusp of a deal yet or is this still a substantial rumor?

Trader Joe's coming to OKC has been rumored for so long its almost mythical.

The idea it would be coming to NH Plaza is relatively new and I still believe it will happen, I think with the sale Glimcher is still working on it's big-picture plan.

I'm also sure they will fill up these properties pretty quickly.

It was rumored that WF was coming here for about 2 years before they finally announced.

A primer for those of us not in the Joe Know.

What do you love about Trader Joe’s
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-b...190503518.html
    #5: Two Buck Chuck (not necessarily coming to a Trader Joe’s in Oklahoma)
    #4: Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole
    #3: Joe Joe’s Cookies
    #2: Speculoos Cookie Butter
    #1: Triple Ginger Snaps

That cookie butter is pretty awesome.

So many great things there you can't find anywhere else, and pretty much all of it is delicious and reasonable.

It's really unlike any other grocery chain.

Is there any new news regarding Trader Joe's coming to OKC? Do you think we will hear something before the end of this year?

I believe the Trader Joe's and Ruth's Chris news is pending Glimcher putting together a master plan for all the properties they just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    A primer for those of us not in the Joe Know.

What do you love about Trader Joe’s
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-b...190503518.html
    #5: Two Buck Chuck (not necessarily coming to a Trader Joe’s in Oklahoma)
    #4: Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole
    #3: Joe Joe’s Cookies
    #2: Speculoos Cookie Butter
    #1: Triple Ginger Snaps
    They have these amazing jelly preserves and a $4 pack of sliced goat cheese. Their gluten free chips are also great for $2. The whole product line is truly life changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    They have these amazing jelly preserves and a $4 pack of sliced goat cheese. Their gluten free chips are also great for $2. The whole product line is truly life changing.
    LOL, sounds good but I don't think I would want to survive on that for a diet. I would probably shop there on occasion for specialty items but would never use Trader Joe's for my one stop shopping for groceries. That certainly does not mean that I don't want them here though. We need that for an option.

I have the same basic philosophy about Whole Foods.

21. Default Re: Trader Joe's

I went to the Trader Joe's opened recently near my house in Denver and had a good look around to see what the brouhaha was all about. With the exception of a nice sale on bananas, I saw absolutely nothing in the store I wanted or even saw a reason to go back. I see nothing upscale or nicer about it. The traditional stores here are far better and nicer and the "organic" stores like Sprouts and Whole Foods have better produce and prices.

Just my personal review.

They have these ridiculously decadent dark chocolate truffles from Belgium that are under $5 for a huge bag. Cheep enough to make you feel like you can eat the whole bag in one sitting....(Bad idea if you're wondering)

The best of all possible worlds would be (in Oklahoma) for TJ to open up the store with a wine shop next door. I know they've done it in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I went to the Trader Joe's opened recently near my house in Denver and had a good look around to see what the brouhaha was all about. With the exception of a nice sale on bananas, I saw absolutely nothing in the store I wanted or even saw a reason to go back. I see nothing upscale or nicer about it. The traditional stores here are far better and nicer and the "organic" stores like Sprouts and Whole Foods have better produce and prices.

Just my personal review.
    Felt exactly the same way the first few times I went into a TJ's.

It takes a while to figure it out because it's so different. But now, it's my favorite grocery store by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That cookie butter is pretty awesome.

So many great things there you can't find anywhere else, and pretty much all of it is delicious and reasonable.

It's really unlike any other grocery chain.
    Yep, that's pretty much it. They used to stock other brands, but I'm pretty sure they're almost all store-branded items now (but things like the Pita Chips are just Stacy's with a new name). Their cheese selection is wonderful, their desserts are very good, their honey sesame almonds are *heaven*, but their pasta sauce just ain't worth it. Almost everything we bought there (went every coupla weeks while we were in IL), we liked, ended up with a full basket every time we went, no matter how small our list was. Another great thing that I'm not sure anybody mentioned (haven't gone through the whole thread) is that the employees have tasting sessions for everything in the store, they know everything about everything, really good customer service.

Thread Information